Suggestion on which MF to get - up to £500 (ish)

Interesting you mention Rollei as they were the manufacturer that spent the most on 'flattening' the film, so 'in their eyes' there was an issue!

They introduced the glass plate back for this on the TLR's and the whole SLX/6000 system was designed around a film magazine that had no 'sharp turns'.

However in I think about every 35mm camera I know of the cassette to take up spool doesn't have a sharp bend either...
That would be because the base material for 35mm was, in general, thicker than the base material for roll film.

Whereas a length of 35mm film trapped around a sharp bend would tend to retain that distortion, the thinner roll film, buffered by its backing paper, tends not to. Whether this is still the case today, given the changed finances of the manufacturers, is a different matter.

That would be because the base material for 35mm was, in general, thicker than the base material for roll film.

Whereas a length of 35mm film trapped around a sharp bend would tend to retain that distortion, the thinner roll film, buffered by its backing paper, tends not to. Whether this is still the case today, given the changed finances of the manufacturers, is a different matter.
A bit of a non argument really because of the size of the cassette and the take up spool the film has an almost flat route past the shutter there never was a problem (except possibly with the Rollieflex 35mm slr which was almost a miniature Rollie 120 slr however I don't know the internal construction so that is only conjecture)

Not mentioned yet and something I'm thinking about is the Pentax 6x7 with Waist level finder as it weighs less than the pentaprism viewfinder combo but still quite heavy/big hence why I haven't yet succumbed. I have a Yashica 24 and a couple of folders but often fawn over images taken by the Pentax 67 and the 105mm f2.4 lens.

Last edited:
Back