Beginner suitable d7200 Lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

For the Nikon d7200 camera, i would like to buy some lenses that are suited to my needs.

Initially, I would like something to handle every day 'walkabout' photography where zoom is not a massive requirement. This will include fishing photos, holiday snaps and general photos of family / friends.

I am also a massive Motorsport fan and would like a lens to be able to get decent photos of the cars. I visit a variety of circuits, so shooting distances will naturally vary - everything from Goodwood to Le Mans.

I know i am best of learning to use the camera and its features first, but i would rather buy some kit that performs the job i want than have generic kit style lenses that will be at their limits quite quickly. I would rather not be buying new lenses 6 months down the line.

Hopefully the experience on here will enable me to pick up the right equipment.

Regards,

I guess alot would depend on your budget really.... I am on a very tight budget and have the 18-55mm and 55-200mm Nikon kit lens alomg with a Tamron 70-300mm zoom
and for me they are more than ok, good results on the things you state above (only shoot Motorsport at Silverstone though) but would I like to replace them with top line stuff of course I would.

so let us know how much you wanna spend and I am sure people who know way more than I will give you gteat advice

Its hard really to say budget wise, ideally i would like to have some ideas for lenses that are the next step up from the kit lenses.

Im tempted by a 35mm prime, and i have read on another thread of a decent small zoom tamron (i will try and find it).

We have a Nikon 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses in the house already that i can borrow if needed.

Tamrom 17-50 was the one as an alternative to the 35mm prime.

Im juggling two topics but a Tamron 70-300 has been mentioned for the motorsport. Would that be better than the kit style Nikon 55-300 i mentioned above? I know they get a bit soft when wide open.

I'd say Nikon 16-85 for your walkabout and one of the 150-600mm, not too expensive and very capable.

My walkabout lens is a Nikon 18-200....it covers most things.

the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 is a belter of a lens for the price. You can pick one up for around £180 (I sold mine for this) and is a very good upgrade on the kit lens. Has optical stabilisation and a constant f2.8 aperture. If I didn't need longer or wider, it would never have come off the camera.

Nikon 18 55mm - small, light, plastic - cheap as chips - almost given away used

He nearly had mine!!

D3200 + 18 55mm - 1/200th sec - f8

18_55_3.jpg

18_55_2.jpg

Last edited:
:)Nikon 18-200mmVR & a 200-500mm VR you might want to add a 10-20mm and a fast prime at a later date but that would cover 99% of what you will ever need !
D7200 is a cracking bit of kit :)

I have a 7100 and have a large array of lenses from fish eye, 35 and 50 prime, 16-85, 70-200, 90m macro, 300mm and what I view as probably the best lens for any crop Nikon and that is the 17-55 2.8 which for me is the best lens bar none and is on my camera 80% of the time. they say if you go full frame you can really get away with two lens the 25-70 and the 70-200, well this is the equivalent of the 25-70 on crop sensor.

My D7200 walk around lens is a Tamron 17-50 2.8, love it, for zoom I use a Nikon 55-300VR. Both are great value.

Sigma 10-20 3.5 is supposed to be good but some report very soft in corners, might be variability in QC so maybe not so good:rolleyes:

70-300 is great shout for Motorsports

I don't think you'd regret going for the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or the Sigma equivalent as a general walkabout lens... I tend to swap and change the lenses I take, but when out with the D7200 I always have a 17-50 with me.

Yeah same here, I have other lenes in the bag when i think i need one but the Tamron 17-50mm covers 90% of my fun. :)

Back