Sunpak flash on a D90

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon specific Sunpak PZ40X, it states it should be i-TTL compatible.

It will only work if the flash and camera are set to manual. If the flash is in TTL mode and the camera on say A or S, it will not fire. The manual does mention that some older Nikon flashes will do this if set to TTL.

But I was hoping as this was i-TTL that it would work. Has any one else used a non Nikon flash and got it to work on anything else apart from M ?

I believe the PZ40X is only really compatible with the older Nikon d-ttl rather than the newer CLS system that your D90 has.

I have a Nikon specific Sunpak PZ40X, it states it should be i-TTL compatible.

?

I think you have the PZ40X(Black one) and its only D-TTL as Flash In The Pan stated, but if you've got the PZ40X II(Silver/Black) that is compatible with i-TTL on the D90.

You may have seen the specs for the latter?:thinking:

I've got the Sunpak PZ42X and it works fine with i-TTL on my D90.

I think you have the PZ40X(Black one) and its only D-TTL as Flash In The Pan stated, but if you've got the PZ40X II(Silver/Black) that is compatible with i-TTL on the D90.

You may have seen the specs for the latter?:thinking:

I've got the Sunpak PZ42X and it works fine with i-TTL on my D90.

Yes mine is the black one. I will check the box and instructions to see if they are related to both products, the box does mention i-TTL

Done some digging and it's 4 pin which suggests iTTL not the 5 pin dTTL - but it only appears to work with dTTL in 4 pin mode? Very odd

Meaning you can only use it in manual, not TTL - which is baffling as it says it's iTTL.

Seems like its got a compatibility issue with newer cameras...

The box actually says not compatible with D70, so it is probably fair enough it does not work with the D90. Still only paid £30 for it and it takes fairly decent pictures in manual mode. It will do until I can afford a Nikon one.

Back