Sunrise at Llyn Padarn

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a long weekend on Anglesey at the end of October. I saw that the forecast for the Monday morning had a cold snap and no wind. The forecast stayed the same over the weekend so I got up early and off I went.

Never been to the location before, but expected it to be busy. I was at the lone tree on Buttermere a month or so ago and was in a line of 8 photographers.

To my surprise I was the only person there :)

The sunrise was about as good as I have ever seen while I have been taking photos - a stunning morning.

Alone by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

That's stunning Dave. Very lucky to have that all to yourself and you've done an excellent job with it.

Is the sky slightly overcooked? Or did you see this with your eye.............:)

Lovely colours and composition,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Stunning work Dave.
It is great to at such places and be alone with such great conditions.

That is the morning I was Tewet tarn where the conditions were pretty much the same.

Last edited:
"Excellent" presentation Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Is the sky slightly overcooked? Or did you see this with your eye.............:)

It was that good - I have shots from my phone and Olympus that are the same.

No saturation or vibrance added - just mainly curves for contrast.

No filters used either.

The image was created from 2 exposures - normal and 2 stops over then luminosity masks to blend the images.

Awesome work, Dave, bravo! :)

Incredible image. Best shot I’ve seen here and proof of the pudding that tripod holes are worth going to. Even the most ardent of the “I won’t go there because someone else has” kill joys couldn’t not like this image. Not even a ripple in the water to detract from the utter splendour of this image. I’d loved to have seen that.

Did you take any longer ones without the tree?

Last edited:
Incredible image. Best shot I’ve seen here and proof of the pudding that tripod holes are worth going to. Even the most ardent of the “I won’t go there because someone else has” kill joys couldn’t not like this image. Not even a ripple in the water to detract from the utter splendour of this image. I’d loved to have seen that.

Did you take any longer ones without the tree?

Thanks Steve - I must admit that I got a bit caught up in the sunrise and only got a few compositions - all had the tree in the shot and were wide angle. I kept to mainly one composition as I wanted to get the best light / colour - it just kept getting stronger and stronger.

Literally one of the best shots I've ever seen on here. My teeth itch that the trunk of the tree does not line up with the lowest notch between the mountains but I think that is my problem, not the photographs, and it's so good I can forgive it anyway.

Interestingly, I would happily push a photo to this extent to accentuate the drama of the sunrise and the way it made me feel when taking it. I would not be hooked up about capturing a snapshot of reality. Would you?

Very nice, but wonder if the tree would have been better on a third.

Central compositions are far better than rules of thirds in my book!

?

Yeah but the same shot and composition time after time can get very samey so the challenge is to produce something diffeernt. This isn't something thats often seen, and has a great quality to it. Bet that would look good as a large acrylic.

Very nice, but wonder if the tree would have been better on a third.
I like the way it's aligned with the gap in the hills, then the curve of the trunk follows the reflection giving it just enough of a break in symmetry balancing the upper branches twist. The colours, foreground details, mist just keep your eye dancing around the image.

Yeah but the same shot and composition time after time can get very samey so the challenge is to produce something diffeernt. This isn't something thats often seen, and has a great quality to it. Bet that would look good as a large acrylic.

I like the way it's aligned with the gap in the hills, then the curve of the trunk follows the reflection giving it just enough of a break in symmetry balancing the upper branches twist. The colours, foreground details, mist just keep your eye dancing around the image.

I don't neccessarily mind "samey" so long as it's good and satisfies. Why is a shot from an established location less valid or worthy than one that isn't. This shot works, asthetically and emotionally.

Literally one of the best shots I've ever seen on here. My teeth itch that the trunk of the tree does not line up with the lowest notch between the mountains but I think that is my problem, not the photographs, and it's so good I can forgive it anyway.

Thanks Craig - you always need to leave room for improvement so you can better the shot next time ;)

Belter. One of the best I've seen. The direction of the clouds really compliments the tree.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy - I was watching the cloud like a hawk as I knew where I wanted it as it slowly floated by.

Luckily the peak of the colour came when the cloud was perfectly placed.

I have had quite a poor year for sunrises - this will keep me going for another 12 months :)

Very difficult to get something different in terms of composition, but what sets yours apart is how you have excelled in the balance of the colour; beautifully serene, calming and harmonious.
Wish I could get one like it, it would be 'loud & proud' on my wall.

Back