Sunrise-Sunset, TPE

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently viewed a tutorial by Anthony Spencer, with in the tutorial he mentioned that his has used a download; TPE = The Photographer's Ephemeris, i made a visit to the suggested link below and downloaded it.
Not been able to use it to its full capacity as yet, however i feel it will be a very useful tool for advanced planning, and look forward to using it more.
As i you might well find it useful as well....

http://photoephemeris.com/tpe-for-desktop

Last edited:
It's a very useful little tool, been using it probably close to 5 years now.

The developer has another relatively new planning app out called Photo Transit.

Another thing I use is Google Earth with the sun switched on, it lets you visualise the suns position relative to the landscape.

Used this for a good while now - really useful.

Dave

I can't see the photo transit app for the IPhone as yet . Is it available for Android only at the moment?

I use the TPE app all the time and really saves unnecessary trips to the sites along with a weather app. Really helps identify the best months to actually shoot the dream photo.

Mark

I use TPE all the time on the desktop when planning trips and on the android when out. The other must have free app on my phone is Photo Tools particularly for the hyperfocal distance calculator.

I use TPE all the time on the desktop when planning trips and on the android when out. The other must have free app on my phone is Photo Tools particularly for the hyperfocal distance calculator.
Ooh, very nice. Thanks for the pointer.

OP: I use TPE all the time, too. Annoyingly the Android version is not as good as the iPad version.

Another long-term TPE user here.
The feature I love is the black pin you stick on a relative point and do some magic to see what happens.
I've used it to calculate where to stand so that the sun is behind the tower on the top of Glastonbury Tor. Done it twice and one of them was a surreal experience; the mist rolled in and obscured the distant views but a zone of darkness (shadow of the tor) swept across us; because we were at the tip of the shadow it was sunshine behind us and blue sky overhead.
You can also use the feature to work out when the sun will rise over a mountain ridge.

I prefer not to adjust for the height of the mountains, it gives you some slack time when you're running late!!
LOL - good point !
I tend to always use it because in Winter, especially in Scotland, the sun rises very slowly (it only comes 9deg over the horizon!) and can easily be an hour later than expected and in a different place.

One challenge you can try with TPE is to work out where and when to stand to photograph the rising Sun coming down from Pen-y-Pass to Llanberris with the reflection in the lake.
It is complicated by the fact that the Siabod ridge visually sits higher than Pen-y-Pass and the valley has a couple of annoying ridges in the sides that get in the way.
I can't remember the answer - but it's only possible on a few days every year.

Last edited:
Back