Critique Sunset at Rattray Head

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Becoming a bit of a tripod hole for me this place. But I love going there and with my best friend living relatively close by I just cannot stop myself. These are pretty similar to my first visit but using my new D810 and 70-200F4 the detail in them is a fair bit better. Not that you can tell at 1024x768

This was the first image I kept. Unlike many landscapers, I like clear blue skies and I struck gold.Whilst I love @Steelo shot that won a highly commended in LPOTY these weather conditions aren't really me and I don't want to blatenly rip off his shot. This is much more "me" somehow.

@viv1969 - another non reflective series but that may well change if tomorrow goes to plan.

_DSC0259 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Whilst I never really moved position throughout the shoot I did change composition with a view to different crops and different aspects. This was the last light of the day

_DSC0287 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And nothing to me beats a good pastel other than perhaps that lovely rich sunlight. And even then it is hard to call

_DSC0295 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And time to warp up with a little square.

_DSC0302 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I have 17 of these on my Flickr. I just couldn't bring myself to delete any.

Last edited:

Yes, this fits comfortably in my eyes. Very, very pleasing!

Though the horizon is straight, the tower is not! Nothing
you could have done prior to SR. I know you know but,
eventually, in pp and even then not necessary… could
have to do with the age of the building!

There could be a small mistake on my part rather than RL Stevenson's.

I could have been ever so slightly off perpendicular to the lighthouse. I did check at 100% in live preview and used the in camera spirit level in the D810 (which is a lot more senstive and thus accurate than the one in the D800 I drowned before getting this one). I checked I was perpendicular using the window frames and the brick work...I am pretty sure I was as I use the live preview function on the body. It takes a surprising amount of time to get everything just so.

The lighthouse is well over 100 years old and is at best a windy place. Let's blame the wind.

Now then, how exactly to I pick a favourite from these? Don't get me wrong, I like the 4th image, a lot, but the blueness it has just edges it out of my choices. It's not a cast though is it? I'm pressuming it is encroaching on the blue period of light?

So now there's 3 to choose from. I prefer the 2 with the lighthouse off centre, so whilst that should edge out the second image, it doesn't as I love the whispy waves, especially the wave right at the foot of the lighthouse, that's lovely. There is lovely light on the first image, a bit more contrasty and brighter than the others with no hot whites but the softer tones of the third image, together with the whispy waves it has too as well as the lighthouse off centre has to be my choice. Yeah, 3 is my choice.

None are shabby though Steve, I would be happy if any were mine.

It's hard @Dale. I have kept and processed so many as I cannot make my mind up either. Storage is cheap so it's not a big deal.

I know it is a fair way for you but I reckon you'd really like shooting here. By simply placing the lighthouse in the middle, to the left, to the right and then with all the variations of the colour palattes as the light changes. Yes, it might be far but such a simple "location" gives you a lot to work with.

Last edited:
Love the subtlety of number three, but the depth of light and colour in the first steals the show for me, plus the white tipped sea.
Beautiful.

All great shots, but I prefer the tones of the last one. The last shot, with the lighthouse off centre would be perfect for me.
I love lighthouses by the way :)

Back