Beginner Sunset or sunrise

If the sun is low on the horizon and still above it, then a Reverse ND grad filter can help. A normal ND grad isn't that useful under those circumstances.

If you look at the EXIF for the shots that have a burned out sun, try using a little less exposure and see if you get less burning out. Some is all but inevitable - the sun's pretty bright, it just needs to be reduced as far as possible. For me, the whole point of a sunrise/set shot is the colours in the sky rather than any foreground interest but if YOU want foreground interest, some form of merging of shots is probably the answer.

i use bracketing on my camera for these sort of shots. so eliminates the need for filters also with grad filters you may have to move it down or up (sunset or rise) if you are waiting around for best time.

bracket it for 5 exposures you can pretty much get all the dynamic range into one shot. a lot of post processing flaff, but give u opportunities to get the composition right and experiment a bit more

I was going to suggest Bracketing but someone beat me too it, then using Photoshop you can HDR the image gives some lovely results, I also us ND Grads as well, depends what model of camera you have some have the bracketing option so it does it for you others low range models you can get the same effect by taking a picture underexposed, one exposed correctly and one overexposed. thats the minimum I would recommend for a HDR picture but you can take 5 or 7 i would say 5 is the best thou two underexposes by 2 stops and 1 stop, and two over exposed by 2 stop and 1 stop, one correctly exposed, by the light meter, good luck

Back