Sunset without filters?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys I brought a sigma 10-20 for my d3100 a few month bk as I live on the south coast and think it b rude not to take advantage of it. But I've only used it a few time and not on sunsets either as I think I'll need sum filters (lookin at hitech 100 mondular, hard 0.9, 0.6 & reverse 0.6). Now I haven't got 200 odd notes to spend, but should I wait or is it possible to get a good shoot without filters?

Yep.

You don't need them. Waste of time.

Well, mainly....

Costs nothing to try. But I wouldn't be without my filters.

I would have liked to have bought Lee, but funds would only allow Hitech, so I have the hard grad set.

Used them at the weekend on Blyth Beach, and posted the pics in the critique forum

Really?:wacky:

I mostly shoot landscapes and I would not be without my graduated neutral density filters.

I said mainly! Graduated definitely have their uses.

I was thinking about coloured filters when I posted.

I always use them, but there are other ways such as blending multiple exposures to get the same effect, which in some cases can look better anyway. I only have NX2, so can't do this with that programme, hence my use of filters.

love my grads/NDs, also wouldn't shoot coastal without my CPL - makes the sea go pop :)

You could try using HDR with multiple exposures if you have the necessary software. You don't have too go extreme with it. See my last post in the landscape critique section for some examples. They were shot straight in to the sun with no filters.

I find that my HiTech filters give me much worse flare than without them. I like flare in some photos, but the flare I get with filters is not often very pleasing.

Back