Super battery developed

Edit My Images
Yes
Super battery developed
Lightning recharge
By Nick Farrell: Friday 09 June 2006, 06:05

MIT boffins have come up with a battery that recharges itself in a few seconds and might never need replacing.

Joel Schindall's team looked at the battery's capacitor, which was invented nearly 300 years ago, and concluded that was the weakest link.

Rechargable and disposable batteries use a chemical reaction to produce energy. This is pretty effective, but after many charges and discharges the battery loses capacity and has to be chucked out.

Read More...

Ha ... interesting stuff ... but you still gotta be near trickery to re-charge even if it is only for a few seconds !

orangepeel said:
Super battery developed
Lightning recharge
By Nick Farrell: Friday 09 June 2006, 06:05

Joel Schindall's team looked at the battery's capacitor, which was invented nearly 300 years ago, and concluded that was the weakest link.

That is so technically incorrect it is funny :)

The actual story as I read it is they have invented a way to increase the charge stored in a capacitor to the point where there is enough energy to be useful. So its not a battery its a super capacitor.

A battery can only supply current up to its limit...a capacitor will discharge with no internal resistance. A property used in my days as a trainee to explode a few flies in the test lab :)

interesting stuff! exploding flies???

You wire a high voltage capacitor with stranded insulated cable and sneak the ends near to the fly and then touch the strands together. Due to the high current the capacitor can supply the strands explode.....taking the fly with it. Not to be reccomended as the danger of killing yourself in the process is quite high too. It can get boring when you are a trainee with not much work to do :)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing :geek:

superb!

Back