Super Telephoto lens buying help 'Football & Rugby'

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Its been a good couple of years since I was last on this forum...

I have upgraded my equipment from my old Canon 600d and now have the following:

Canon 7D MKII
Canon 1D MKIV
Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L IS
plus other lens

Now I would like some advice from you all please, I have searched back through the sports section forum back to page 8 having a look at posts but I cant seem to find the answer. I am looking at shooting some local sports matches around my area from football and rugby and I am looking at getting a new lens either new or 2nd hand (very good condition if I can find if). In the future I would like to sell the photos also.

I have listed the ideas below:

Canon 300mm F2.8 L IS 11 USM £4800
Canon 300mm F2.8 L IS USM £2200 used
Canon 300mm F4 L IS USM £839
Canon 400mm F2.8 L IS II USM £6499
Canon 400mm F2.8 L IS USM
Canon 400mm F4 DO IS II USM £5199
Canon 400mm F5.6 L USM £769

Now from reading this forum the lens listed above are all quoted somewhere along the way along with similar brands but I would like to stick to Canon.

I could also hire a lens and see for myself but I am not one for lens hiring I bought my 70-200 F2.8 l and loved it from the off.

I should really point out that I am on a budget of £1500 so most of those lens are out of the question lol

What are peoples views and suggestions?

I know many people use primes and most stick to 300/400mm but I've gone down the 200-400 F$ route (albeit a Nikon) and think its fantastic. huge improvement over the 300mm I had previous.

So much so that I hardly ever use or shoot with the 70-200 that now sits at my side just incase (I'm considering swapping that for a 28-70 next season for any close in cele's)

I must add that this is mainly football. When I did some rugby last year I had the 70-200 and 300 which I found fine although could have always done with little more "reach"

Like @whitey above - I have been through 300mm and 400mm ... and now using the Canon 200-400mm f4 (with 1.4 extender).
I've used both indoors and outdoors - various sports, some which aren't even being played in the UK ;-)
Works great with my 1DX (both mkI and mkII).
But guess for your budget of £1500... this really would be out of reach :)

No idea about Rugby - as that is a sport that I really haven't gotten to grips with...

With a budget of £1,500, stretch it a fraction and get a Sigma 120-300 OS Sport and stick it on the 7DII.
It's by far the best and most practical lens that you can get for your requirements in that price bracket.

thank you all for your reply's, will take a look at the sigma in a local shop if I can.

Interesting seeing what people change from.

I started with a 200-400, but found it a tad slow and soft. Went to a 400 f2.8 quite quickly. Would throw on a 1.4 for rugby.

Now I've gone on to a 500 f4, but mainly because I shoot rugby and GAA on bigger pitches. But still much prefer the 70-200 and 400mm combo for footie.

I recommend a well used 400 2.8 non IS which should be achievable within your price bracket. Alternatively a used non-IS 300 2.8 that you can put a 1.4x extender onto. You don't need IS as your shutter speed will be high enough to avoid camera shake anyway.

Before everyone goes mad and says that these are no longer supported by Canon, that is true. However, if you buy from a reputable place, you'll get 6 months warranty so if anything goes wrong they'll fix or refund. And by the time 6 months is up you may be ready to trade it in for a newer model anyway and you will hardly lose any cash. I personally used a 10-year-old 400 2.8 for another 5 years before selling it on last year, and it's still going strong - a beautiful lens.

The best place I have found for used kit like this is Aperture in London. If you look on their site now you'll see a 300 2.8 for £1050, and they have a 400 2.8 for £2090 (I'm sure they'd drop a bit). They also have a 1.4x for £170.

Prior to getting my Canon long lenses, I had bad results with a Sigma 120-300 2.8, but the Sigma 100-300 f4 was pretty good.

Agree Andy.. canon dont support older models but you dont actaully need canon for non warranty repairs.. plenty of other companies happy to take your money and fix things :) but then again.. how often does a lens go wrong ........ funny thing to say when my 400 is in the shop getting the collar fixed haha.. but other lens i have go on for year after year no problems..

I've had the non-is and the IS version of the Canon 300 2.8 and both give awesome image quality. With the 7D a 300 would be fine for football giving you more reach than those shooting with a 400 on a full frame. The 300 is definitely more luggable than the 400 as well. I miss my 300!

Back