Supermoon 19th March

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks,

On March 19th the moon will be at its closest point to Earth in 18 years, an event that is known as a “lunar perigee”. or the much more exciting “SuperMoon”, as one astrologer called it.

On March 19, the moon will be just 356,577km away from Earth, an event that has internet theorists a-quiver with the possibility of extreme weather, earthquakes and volcanoes.

Get your long lenses and tripods out !!!

Lets hope for clear weather....

Clear weather? Whats that mean? Never heard of it, must be a glaswegian thing not to know about it :p

Anyway will be looking forward to it, had my DSLR just over a week, not yet had a chance or even try at getting a photo of the moon, so should be fun. How can i check what direction to look for the moon at what time? Just incase this "clear weather" turns up in Glasgow before that. Would like to get some practice in at taking shots of the moon

How can i check what direction to look for the moon at what time?

Usualy after the sun has gone down and in the opposite direction :D

Moonrise for Glasgow and Edinburgh is 98deg East 1845hrs

Happy days, checked lightrac and the moon should be behind my house on the 19th and at a time that suits perfectly.

Just have to hope for clear weather!

Folks,

On March 19th the moon will be at its closest point to Earth in 18 years, an event that is known as a “lunar perigee”. or the much more exciting “SuperMoon”, as one astrologer called it.

On March 19, the moon will be just 356,577km away from Earth, an event that has internet theorists a-quiver with the possibility of extreme weather, earthquakes and volcanoes.

Get your long lenses and tripods out !!!

Lets hope for clear weather....

Just to add to this.... Saturn will be just below to the left so it may be possible to capture them together :cool:

Just to add to this.... Saturn will be just below to the left so it may be possible to capture them together :cool:

Wicked...

I shall be crossing my fingers for a clear sky :)

I like a moon shot..

Hand held with my 100-400

The Moon by martin.patten, on Flickr

Hmmmmmmm :thinking:

Correct me if I am wrong, but...

The event known as a Lunar Perigee is the part of the moons rotation around the earth at its nearest point, which happens incidentally to be opposite the Lunar Apogee.

To moon takes approx 27 days to orbit the earth - e.g. from Apogee to Apogee (or Perigee to Perigee).

The difference between the Perigee and the Apogee is around 40,000km, which results in approximately 12% difference in the observable size of the moon.

However the difference between the upcoming Perigee and the last (or indeed the next one) is typically only around 1500km - resulting in a difference in the observable size of the moon between this and the last Perigee of around 1% - hardly an event worth getting tripods and long lenses out for.

LOL

Last edited:

The event known as a Lunar Perigee is the part of the moons rotation around the earth at its nearest point, which happens incidentally to be opposite the Lunar Apogee.

To moon takes approx 27 days to orbit the earth - e.g. from Apogee to Apogee (or Perigee to Perigee).

The difference between the Perigee and the Apogee is around 40,000km, which results in approximately 12% difference in the observable size of the moon.

However the difference between the upcoming Perigee and the last (or indeed the next one) is typically only around 1500km - resulting in a difference in the observable size of the moon between this and the last Perigee of around 1% - hardly an event worth getting tripods and long lenses out for.

LOL

Spoilsport! :LOL:

LOL

Yeah, what he says. (y)

much more exciting “SuperMoon”, as one astrologer called it.

Yes, I'm sure only an astrologer would get excited about such a mundane happening. Astronomers will just yawn and go 'Oh no. Not again'.

There will be nothing exceptional to see - zip, nada, not a sausage, bugger all. It won't even be a good time to take photos as the full Moon shows very little detail because of the flat light.

Yes, I'm sure only an astrologer would get excited about such a mundane happening. Astronomers will just yawn and go 'Oh no. Not again'.

There will be nothing exceptional to see - zip, nada, not a sausage, bugger all. It won't even be a good time to take photos as the full Moon shows very little detail because of the flat light.

I just didnt feel comforatble with all you guys freezing ** butts off for nothing :LOL:

Psst.... I won't be ;) :LOL:

I think you guys are missing the point? ...... Capturing a moment in time of significance is always worthwhile :thinking:

It's not that significant really.

Perhaps not? but it is a chance of capturing it with Saturn .... not that uncommon I agree! but it is still a special moment :cool: .... ;)

Perhaps not? but it is a chance of capturing it with Saturn .... not that uncommon I agree! but it is still a special moment :cool: .... ;)

Well, to start off, the Moon and Saturn aren't very close on the 19th, so you'd need a wide angle lens to get them both in the frame. So wide that the Moon will be a tiny dot. And, if you're going to get Saturn exposed, the Moon will be totally overexposed.

There is nothing interesting, significant, uncommon or worth waking up for.

Well, to start off, the Moon and Saturn aren't very close on the 19th, so you'd need a wide angle lens to get them both in the frame. So wide that the Moon will be a tiny dot. And, if you're going to get Saturn exposed, the Moon will be totally overexposed.

There is nothing interesting, significant, uncommon or worth waking up for.

So just stay in bed then :shrug:

Having been an amateur astronomer for nearly 40 years, I can categorically say that a full moon is the worst time to observe or take photos. Even just looking through a medium tele-lens will give you eye ache and a blue dot that will hang round for a while. You’re much better off when the moon is waning or waxing enabling you to capture a good terminator (the bit where the light starts/stops).

Having been an amateur astronomer for nearly 40 years, I can categorically say that a full moon is the worst time to observe or take photos. Even just looking through a medium tele-lens will give you eye ache and a blue dot that will hang round for a while. You’re much better off when the moon is waning or waxing enabling you to capture a good terminator (the bit where the light starts/stops).

:LOL: That's why filters were invented :thinking:

moon by SteveP!, on Flickr

Hey Guys... 19th MARCH... thats my birthday...haha

Those pictures of the moons that have been posted ..are brilliant..!! I dont think ill be getting pictures like that with my camera equipment.. but ill have a go!! ...lol

Kirsty

Those pictures of the moons that have been posted ..are brilliant..!! I dont think ill be getting pictures like that with my camera equipment.. but ill have a go!! ...lol

Kirsty

Go for it..... :)

Hi all, wonder if someone could give me some tips please on how to set my d90 up to take a nice shot of the moon, im using a sigma 70-300 apo lens.
any tips would be much appreciated, its crystal clear over here.
camera is mounted on the tripod and ready to go:D

thanks
Dan

So this happens every 18 years or so and the moon is over 4 billion years old.

I don't find something that has happened 20,000,000 times before that significance, nor do I worry about the effects on the planet it will have :LOL:

Hi all, wonder if someone could give me some tips please on how to set my d90 up to take a nice shot of the moon, im using a sigma 70-300 apo lens.
any tips would be much appreciated, its crystal clear over here.
camera is mounted on the tripod and ready to go:D

thanks
Dan

I'm no expert ... but this is the way I do it:
- Find a spot with the least amount of light pollution
- Make sure your tripod is nice and sturdy
- Slap the camera into Manual mode (if you let the camera expose the shot you're likely to get a white blob)
- Reduce the ISO to minimum (reduces the amount of noise)
- Stop the lens down to its sweet spot (most lenses have a sharpest aperture - experiment beforehand to find out what this is)
- Adjust the shutter speed to expose right - experient with this
- I tend to use live view, then I can check the histogram and see how it's currently exposed
- Remote release, if you have one - if you manually hit the shutter button this could move the camera and cause shake
- Some folk use mirror lock up to further reduce camera shake

Have fun!

Kirsty

Happy birthday Kirsty. Its my birthday as well.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned- the best time for the largest moon is moonrise (18:16 here in Kent), and luckily I'm on the coast! :)

Back