Superzoom Bridge Camera?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
My wife is going on a 'small boat' trip (10 people, sleeping bags) around some coast of scotland and she's considering that she might like to take photos of the wildlife.

She's been asking me whether a Nikon P1000 would be good, she's seen one for £750 on ebay

It's not something that appeals to me, and I have no idea of the competition. It's at least a 6 year old camera and I wondered about her options?

Cheers

My wife is going on a 'small boat' trip (10 people, sleeping bags) around some coast of scotland and she's considering that she might like to take photos of the wildlife.

She's been asking me whether a Nikon P1000 would be good, she's seen one for £750 on ebay

It's not something that appeals to me, and I have no idea of the competition. It's at least a 6 year old camera and I wondered about her options?

Cheers
Once on Guernsey I ran into a couple and the husband was pointing out to me a particular bird he had spotted a little distance along the coast.

He showed in the review on his camera screen and there was a frame filler of head portrait of a corvid (can't recall which one?) but to the point, as I did not recognise his camera, it was IIRC the Nikon P1000.

It was quite a lump of a camera but clearly has a long zoom range.

I surmise DPreview might have 'reviewed' and of course Flickr can be searched for images taken with the P1000

Sounds like a wonderful trip :)

Once on Guernsey I ran into a couple and the husband was pointing out to me a particular bird he had spotted a little distance along the coast.

He showed in the review on his camera screen and there was a frame filler of head portrait of a corvid (can't recall which one?) but to the point, as I did not recognise his camera, it was IIRC the Nikon P1000.

It was quite a lump of a camera but clearly has a long zoom range.

I surmise DPreview might have 'reviewed' and of course Flickr can be searched for images taken with the P1000

Sounds like a wonderful trip :)

flickr P1000, Such range.. in quality :-D

The review on dpreview is 2018, so could be outdated vs more recent cameras - but i'm starting to warm to the camera, for Louise of course :D

just as an alternative what about a camcorder such as the

it takes photos as well as video- under the price of the nikon quoted.. Also a lot smaller so easier to carry. up to 4K photos etc etc
Please do not ignore without checking it out first

Last edited:
I took a long hard look at the big Nikons and went for the Panasonic FZ82.

The Panasonic is tiny compared to the P-series Nikons and at 1200mm equivalent, is pretty much at my limit for handholding, even with self stabilisation. Also a very great deal cheaper!

Panasonic FZ82 camera GX7 P1140753.JPG

just as an alternative what about a camcorder such as the

it takes photos as well as video- under the price of the nikon quoted.. Also a lot smaller so easier to carry. up to 4K photos etc etc
Please do not ignore without checking it out first

There's nothing easy to find on the internet with regards to image quality of still photos - and it would need to rival the camera alternatives. The video features will be completely wasted.

I have the vitually same in the Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder. This also can take photos but in a different way as it does not have a dedicated camera button
I did post an example on here

remember the greater the zoom the more difficult to hold steady.
don't wish to be rude but from what you say it seems that your stuck with the idea a camera is the answer to everything. I would much rather go the video route and grab a frame for making a stills from it.

what you may be forgetting is a video also captures the atmosphere of where it is taken, something a camera can never do.
Here is an example of meet the captain ceremony. a photo of it is useless. i would have thought the same is better than a still photo in a small boat.

View: https://youtu.be/DGGOgTKGmSM

Last edited:
Does she need such a massive range?
If not I'd suggest the Sony rx10 m4. I feel it'll also be a better camera for wildlife. Has pretty decent tracking too.

I have suggested this camera to a number of people for safaris in Africa and all of them have come back very happy.

Last edited:
All I can say is that on our cruise last year to Norway Fareo isle and iceland I particularly wanted to see and video puffins. out of the group of about 20 all of which had cameras not one of them even got a picture of them as they were too far out to sea. I did not even have to worry about which lens to use.
However I did get some videos using the camcorder and its capabilities
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrq0rZHnKM

Last edited:
We shall be going on a fly/ river trip in Portugal this year and taking, ok a 4/3 camera Panasonic G9 with 12-60mm lens and posibly a 100-300mm lens as well. Also the Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder this allows me a good choice for my kind of photography. so all my bases are covered.I hope

Thanks all, Louise is going for the Nikon P950 - newer, a little smaller, better stabilisation and still plenty of zoom - as well as about £200 cheaper used.

Thanks all, Louise is going for the Nikon P950 - newer, a little smaller, better stabilisation and still plenty of zoom - as well as about £200 cheaper used.
I'd be interested to see how she gets on with it, especially at the 2000mm end. Perhaps you could borrow it and share some examples?

The p100 is a great camera, I have captured image of the moon, but it could be me use to full frame dslrs. That during the day I dint do very well with the p1000, but the camera is still a good buy

Back