Surface of Jupiter???

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Some more macros of the surface of a soap bubble, I love the fact that everytime I shoot these I get totally different results:

4122456268_082b5a1d1f.jpg

Bigger

4122455730_250063fcc4.jpg

Bigger

Apologies for the shallow DOF but that's what you get at these magnification levels without some seriously expensive glassware!

Regards

Carl

Fanatstic Effects No.2 Is Great Very Well Done

Kirk

How do you do these again?

I use a frame made of garden tie wrap, either a square of a circle a couple of inches in diameter. This is held in a stand that can be easily angled / positioned (I use one of those "helping hands" thingies). You'll need a diffuse source of light pointing directly at the surface of the film (not too close though as the heat will dry the bubble out) and you'll need to angle your camera to catch the reflected light, usually 30 - 40 degrees off center.

My bubble solution is equal parts water, glycerine and Fairy Liquid.

Phew!! The setup is a bhugger but the success rate (number of "keeper" shots) is pretty high once you get it nailed.

Carl

I really like those. What sort of technique would you employ to get different colour specturms?

I really like those. What sort of technique would you employ to get different colour specturms?

The soap film will tend to seperate out into distinct colour areas (rainbow stylee), so it really depends where you aim the lens - how those layers mingle / interact is the really random part. Note that with "proper bubbles" (as opposed to a flat film) you won't get such distinct banding but you do get all the funky colours and patterns.

Carl

nice colours, I am trying these at the minute I just need to get a better light source by the sounds of it - thanks for advice

Continuing my ghetto / shoestring approach I'm currently using a 200w B&Q work lamp with grease proof paper as a diffuser!! Works a treat but gets a bit warm :LOL:

Carl

Continuing my ghetto / shoestring approach I'm currently using a 200w B&Q work lamp with grease proof paper as a diffuser!! Works a treat but gets a bit warm :LOL:

Carl

warm eh you will be on fire soon :D have been looking at these and on your flickr, they are amazing, will have to have a go myself sometime

Back