Answered Suspended/Banned

sphexx

Likes a dare
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering why the “Suspended/Banned” ’badge’ includes both words without distinguishing between the two very different cases?

Maybe it‘s a Forum Software thing in which case just forget I asked :(.

(I see I have to choose a prefix here but it’s not really a cry for help!)

If you are the recipient, Its to keep you guessing.
If you are looking on, as my mum used to say "Its to make your tongue wag" :D

Ah! Thanks, but no thanks!

A bit surprised (that he said it not the banning).
Yes and no, his attitude had been changing for awhile.
twice he asked me to delete his account, twice I talked him out of it...
Finally he went for, what we call death by mod, sadly. :(

Yes and no, his attitude had been changing for awhile.
twice he asked me to delete his account, twice I talked him out of it...
Finally he went for, what we call death by mod, sadly. :(
I sort of get that. He’s been a bit prickly about lack of comments on his excellent bird pics but there’s not often a lot to say about such pics (I find). Sometimes the worst (technically) wildlife pics are the most interesting for showing some behaviour or interaction. I see how that gets frustrating though :(.

He’s been a bit prickly about lack of comments on his excellent bird pics
If you look through a lot of the image posting forums, there are often a lot of likes, but hardly any comments.
Its just the way things are these days, unfortunately.

and no matter who you are you can't tell a member of staff to shove the forums where the sun don't shine and expect to "Live"

Last edited:
Also, we all know the forum is far too big to do that with it.

No comment about the diameter of Dale's fundamental orifice... :p

Besides, he seems like a nice chap!

If you look through a lot of the image posting forums, there are often a lot of likes, but hardly any comments.
Its just the way things are these days, unfortunately.
.... We expect just Likes and hardly any Comments on social media such as Facebook and Instagram which are often used by people in a hurry < Although I'm not sure where they are in a hurry to get to. But on a photography forum, example: TalkPhotography, I don't understand why there are so few comments whether they are either praising or critical.

Feedback is a good thing in my uninvited opinion.

The internet is bizarre. I see awful photos on FB getting hundreds of comments and thousands of likes and wonderful photos barely acknowledged. 'Tis the way of the world now. If you're popular you could post a blurred, out of focus photo of your cat by a dirty oven/cooker via your iPhone 3 and you'll go viral. It is what it is and its not different on here. In the same way a forum full of so called photographers struggle to post a pic of their kit for sale. :oops: :$:cool:

Last edited:
Too many sensitive people that only want to hear praise is one of the reasons for no comment.
Often think these people would be happier on Flickr with all the fantastic, I award you ten million gold stars stuff.

More than one person says they want honest comments, not so sure they really do.
I remember after a string of praise I mentioned it looked like one person in the photo had an aerial growing from their head.
You can guess the rest, probably still in rehab

Too many sensitive people that only want to hear praise is one of the reasons for no comment.
Often think these people would be happier on Flickr with all the fantastic, I award you ten million gold stars stuff.

More than one person says they want honest comments, not so sure they really do.
I remember after a string of praise I mentioned it looked like one person in the photo had an aerial growing from their head.
You can guess the rest, probably still in rehab

I don't think it's necessarily negative comments, just lack of any comments. I notice it myself. If I've been away from the forum for a few months I'll get little reaction to posts or even ads. Once I've posted for a while suddenly things come alive. It's human nature. I don't take it personally but it does sometimes make you think twice before you bother to post images on here.

Can't say i'm bothered whether anyone comments or not, feel compelled to reply if they do and not often got anything to say
Only post photos so others get to see hopefully something different, interesting or unusual, at least a like shows they have seen it.

My main complaint would be lack of information with the posted photos, location and bit of background is always welcome.

Best stuff I enjoy on here have been things like the Zine Swap or the Print Exchange.
Meet ups are good too, just another digital file on a website is to me rather boring

Last edited:
But on a photography forum, example: TalkPhotography, I don't understand why there are so few comments whether they are either praising or critical.
As I've said many times the like button dunit :(
But as its been here over 10 years, I doubt that will change now.

Feedback is a good thing in my uninvited opinion.
Everyone is welcome to comment, even you Robin :p

If you're popular you could post a blurred, out of focus photo of your cat by a dirty oven/cooker via your iPhone 3 and you'll go viral.
Agreed, some of the "explored" on flickr often makes me think, WTF?

My main complaint would be lack of information with the posted photos, location and bit of background is always welcome.

I agree though quite a few do say where etc or what they are trying to achieve.

Now this thread has just grown to a score of posts, I feel like saying I only asked:exit:
Typical TP thread, its MBAR'd (morphed beyond all recognition :D)

I didn't bother with the image threads for a long time as there's only so much time even I can spend on he forum :D but I've recently started to look though them and many of the pictures are lovely but I do tend to avoid the ones with critters eating critters in them. I do try and comment on the ones I like but I also do worry that saying it's a lovely picture multiple times might look a bit odd but not commenting at all doesn't seem right.

What people like and comment on is maybe hard to predict. I've posted pictures I've really liked and had no reaction at all but others I've thought rather ordinary have had reaction so who can tell what other people like or find interesting? :D Apparently not me :D

I have thought before that some people who post multiple single or small number picture threads could save them up and post a few every few days in one thread but each to their own.

'Tis the way of the world now. If you're popular you could post a blurred, out of focus photo of your cat by a dirty oven/cooker via your iPhone 3 and you'll go viral.

37427868826_38766fa776_b.jpg

;)

probably best to leave my fundemental orifice out of this for a day or so.
Best you leave the staff room for a day or two TBH :D

This thread reminds me of the words of a wise old chap I once knew, who was something of a working man's philosopher. He shared the following wisdom "Wherever two or more men are gathered together in conversation at leisure, they will almost inevitably end up talking about defecation or sex."!

Last edited:
And cars (although, of course, they don't preclude the sex! [Best not to combine cars and defecation though...])

FA016D32-55F3-429B-A83C-16FB44912329.jpeg

I didn't bother with the image threads for a long time as there's only so much time even I can spend on he forum :D but I've recently started to look though them and many of the pictures are lovely but I do tend to avoid the ones with critters eating critters in them

Maybe thinking of them as critters eating varmints will help?

. I do try and comment on the ones I like but I also do worry that saying it's a lovely picture multiple times might look a bit odd but not commenting at all doesn't seem right.

I’ve recently been impressed reading your kindly comments on pics so I think you should keep it up.

This probably gets back to the original genesis of this thread as in lack of comments/feedback being a factor in the member getting ratty.

I know I’ve said this before and it’s probably a limitation of the forum software, but, the Like choices are limiting. There are a couple of threads where I think I Like nearly every picture really to encourage the threads to keep going I suppose.

Sometimes I Like a pic to indicate I’ve looked at it (more than just “seen”) otherwise I don’t know how anyone knows people have looked at their photos. The threads have a “viewed” number on the list page but is there any other (other than Likes) feedback to the poster?

Also I think only the Like or Wow buttons are appropriate for photos so choice is limited?

And cars (although, of course, they don't preclude the sex! [Best not to combine cars and defecation though...])

View attachment 355495

That’s an invitation to any policeman to stop him/her just to get the pleasure of saying ”Now you’re really shïtting yourself!”.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Best not to combine cars and defecation though...
I wish you could tell my passengers that! In my younger days I preferred to call it a 'progressive' driving style. ;) These days, too much traffic, too many poor drivers, and too many speed traps. :(

Last edited:
I wish you could tell my passengers that! In my younger days I preferred to call it a 'progressive' driving style. ;) These days, too much traffic, too many poor drivers, and too many speed traps. :(
All this fixation on ”poop” from you puts me more in mind of Mr Toad than Mr Badger :LOL:

The Toad never answered a word, or budged from his seat in the road; so they went to see what was the matter with him. They found him in a sort of a trance, a happy smile on his face, his eyes still fixed on the dusty wake of their destroyer. At intervals he was still heard to murmur 'Poop-poop!”

Excerpt From

The Wind in the Willows

Kenneth Grahame

Maybe thinking of them as critters eating varmints will help?

I’ve recently been impressed reading your kindly comments on pics so I think you should keep it up.

A grown man not wanting to see creatures eating each other may seem a little odd to understand and it is a quirk some could struggle with but I just don't like to see images along those lines and they do affect me.

Thanks for the kind words on responses. If we can help another feel a little better, valued or rewarded then the time taken to write a line or two is well spent as we've had the pleasure of the picture, so it is only fair :D

Back