Swallowing pills willpower problems?

Name
John 'Jack'
Edit My Images
No
Please note: I am not asking on any suggestions on how to swallow pills (aspirin, Ibuprofen, antibiotics, etc.,), and please don't try suggesting dissolve ones or medicine. It is not the physical side of it, it is the mental side of it that I think is the problem.

I have been taking pills like aspirin or paracetamol before, but in the past couple of years, I seems to kind of lost the ability to swallow pills, sometimes on and off. At moment, I'm taking antibiotics and really need to finish the course.

Is there a reason why I seems to now be having a hard time trying to swallow pills? It there something that's stopping me? Could it actually happen, that somehow people subconsciously feel like "I can't do it!" that's causing us to actually be incapable of swallowing a pill? Why is it that my muscle memory is not taking over and help me swallow? Is there a states of mind that somehow cause me to struggle with trying to swallow a pill?

Is there any way of getting back to being able to swallow pills?

Is there a reason why I seems to now be having a hard time trying to swallow pills? It there something that's stopping me? Could it actually happen, that somehow people subconsciously feel like "I can't do it!" that's causing us to actually be incapable of swallowing a pill?

Yes. I've seen it a few times, most recently with my Mother.

Talk to your GP

I've had problems swallowing antibiotic capsules in particular - I found that the capsule itself was sticking to my dry tongue. For me, a sip of water just before the pill went in helped, as well as a slightly bigger wash-down gulp.

If there's something that you find you can swallow particularly easily (maybe some wet wheat biscuit or similar [Weetabix type, not digestive!]) you could try popping the pill in your mouth just before swallowing the mouthful.

Please note: I am not asking on any suggestions on how to swallow pills (aspirin, Ibuprofen, antibiotics, etc.,), and please don't try suggesting dissolve ones or medicine. It is not the physical side of it, it is the mental side of it that I think is the problem.

I have been taking pills like aspirin or paracetamol before, but in the past couple of years, I seems to kind of lost the ability to swallow pills, sometimes on and off. At moment, I'm taking antibiotics and really need to finish the course.

Is there a reason why I seems to now be having a hard time trying to swallow pills? It there something that's stopping me? Could it actually happen, that somehow people subconsciously feel like "I can't do it!" that's causing us to actually be incapable of swallowing a pill? Why is it that my muscle memory is not taking over and help me swallow? Is there a states of mind that somehow cause me to struggle with trying to swallow a pill?

Agree with Simon Ess, go to your GP.

I assume your GP had prescribed antibiotics for a good reason and therefore you need to take the course. He/she might be able to offer you an alternative way.

Dave

I've had problems swallowing antibiotic capsules in particular - I found that the capsule itself was sticking to my dry tongue. For me, a sip of water just before the pill went in helped, as well as a slightly bigger wash-down gulp.

If there's something that you find you can swallow particularly easily (maybe some wet wheat biscuit or similar [Weetabix type, not digestive!]) you could try popping the pill in your mouth just before swallowing the mouthful.

Thank you but you're suggesting techniques to help swallow pills, sadly I don't think it is the techniques that will help, it is the mentally that I need help with.

I have swallowed capsules before, just like aspirins, but somehow something mentally is stopping me. Is there a way to try mind over matter?

I also often feel unable to swallow if my mouth is dry. Mind you I am swallowing a mixture of pills, capsules and gels,, around ten in all and all at once. Swallowing a mouthful of drink seems to reset the ability to swallow.

No two persons experience with swallowing pills imo will be identical.

I strongly suggest because you talk of it being more in the mind than physical...... please go and consult your GP, to get any relevant help with your 'feelings' about the problem.........and equally to eliminate any possible underlying physical issues.

Best of luck with your resolving what troubles you :)

When I am in an over-anxious state of mind I find trying to swallow large pills problematic. When I am 'normal' it's no problem. Perhaps subconsciously you are worrying about the condition that requires the pills?

Try practising with Smarties. I bet you can swallow them.

I used to have this multi vitamin and for a pill, it was quite chunky. Due to this, I used to get apprehensive about taking it. Oddly enough, I never had an issue when taking it whole but when my apprehension got to me, I started to break it in half and it got dislodged in my throat twice !

Not sure if this will help but I take 6+ pills and capsules every morning and I would say I have been ’reluctant‘ to swallow them but I don't really have difficulty swallowing. So since I have porridge every morning I take them with that which renders them more or less unnoticeabl. Obviously, I think, porridge is particularly good for this and, say, cornflakes would not be the same :) .

I’ve heard of others with this problem, not an easy one to solve. Start with talking to your gp is a good idea they will be in the best place to refer you on if needed for other therapy, no? All the best hope you can get it sorted somehow.

I have to inject myself and in the early years it hurt like hell due to the formulation. I used to see loads of forum posts from people almost frozen with fear of doing the injection and it hurting. The 'headology' I employed was simply that I had to get this done to stay well, so the quicker I got it done the better. Bribery in the form of cake worked wonders. Swab, pinch, inject, swear profusely, relax and eat cake. My dog still hides with hubby when she see's me getting an injector out.
Same headology employed when I ended up on 24 antibiotic pills a day, 8 were huge capsules that were very difficult to swallow. When it came time for the pills, do whatever I had to do to get this over with as quickly as possible and move on.

Thank you but you're suggesting techniques to help swallow pills, sadly I don't think it is the techniques that will help, it is the mentally that I need help with.

I have swallowed capsules before, just like aspirins, but somehow something mentally is stopping me. Is there a way to try mind over matter?

The techniques are a way of tricking your mind to get around the mental block you are having. Definitely don't dismiss them without giving it a try. Often I do think you need to get to the root of a problem - but in this case, as long as the pills go in I don't think it really matters.

Back