Sweden by Road not by Air

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi All
Mark keeps on at me to post a few images from the Sweden trip where as he and Chas flew to Skelleftea i decided to drive up from Arlanda about 480 miles into the Artic circle now most of the images are birds but there will be a few showing other things hopefully the mods won't mind.
This first image shows what some of the roads were like on my long trek into the Artic Circle in my hired Skoda Yeti

There were lots of trees on the way

There were also some interesting little sheds

What made me laugh my very first batch of eagle images taken after about 2 hours in the hide contained this one as I said to Chas if I don't see another eagle on this trip I will be happy with this image alone.

Hopefully you have enjoyed the start of the thread
Rich

Last edited:
Hi
Glad you are enjoying the start of the thread. Kevin the weather varied I think at it's warmest it was about 4 degrees dropping to minus 17 degrees. Worth it to see the Eagles though. Dunc
Very interesting road and filling stations along the way I can see why you like Sweden. I am definitely going back. Don't worry Jason and Robbie there are more images to come.
Rich

Last edited:
Some stunning landscapes and that shot of the eagle is 1st class, look forward to seeing more of the pictures from your trip.

Again, how can anyone hate winter?
This question is asked by a biased Canadian as you guessed!

I like the first three renditions.
The last one needs highlights recovery… if ever possible!

Hi All
Images 2 and 3 were taken about 20 miles from Connies house in Kalvtrask, Vasterbotten where exactly the road image was taken I am not sure. With the images I am posting I am doing it from my laptop at the moment The eagle image looks fine as an A3 print but I have down scaled these from big tiff files so I probably should have tweaked them on the desk top and my good monitor. Mark your secrets are safe with me mate :whistle:
No eagles today a couple of the other residents.
The Grey Headed Woodpecker visited everyday according to Connie he isn't there that much normally

The Jays don't need any introducing one of my favourite birds again a regular visitor

Willow Tit that's going to make a good Christmas card

Loved the antics of these two

Hope they are not to boring
Rich

Last edited:

Richard strikes again!
Beautiful renditions

Lovely set of images loving the first snow scene with long road, and the birds superb I can imagine the Eagles visiting must have been the highlight?

I've usually not that much interest in bird photography but they are all STUNNING!!!

Hi All
Glad you are all liking the images, Mark me old pal it was the first day when you missed out because you were still winding up the D4 to use;) . Its the one where Chas was about 1/100 of a second behind me and the snow bank clipped the Base of the tail in his my very next frame is almost the same as his. Adam seeing the Eagles in this setting was stunning.
On the 6 days we spent at the hide Connie was very accommodating about our needs and his good lady cooked us some fantastic meals. I have a long list of missed photographic chances just simply down to me not allowing enough time but I shall be traveling back to Sweden in about 2 years time and that will be rectified;)
Rich
P.s
I flew with BA because of the hand luggage allowances kit taken
Canon 1dx
Canon 5D mkiii
Canon 600mm f4 i.s
Canon 300mm F2.8 i.s
Canon 100-400mm mkii
Canon 20-35mm f2.8
Sigma 15mm f2.8
Canon 1.4 extender mkii
Also my Panasonic lx100
Hope this helps on the kit front.

Hey Rich,loving the thread can't wait for more. Bloody spectacular images kiddo some real corkers already,just a joy to view and be inspired by!! Mate are all the bird images from the same hide? Sorry kiddo i'm 5 cans short of a six pack at the mo i've probably missed something even though I've read the whole thread. Lovely to see you posting here Rich I so enjoy looking at your work

take care

stu

Hi Both
Stu we were using one hide but we had 2 sides with openings giving 2 different views we also rotated seats giving us different angles while one watched one side the other 2 watched the other and we all had 2 bodies and lenses set up.Keith i will try to glad you are both enjoying the thread.
Well here we have todays offering.

We were there for Golden Eagles but hey i am not turning my back on a White Tailed for anyone

Ever seen a green finch that had swallowed a light bulb no photoshop this was the colour due to the light

This little guy popped by and posed for us

"A thought for the day"
Something for people to consider there are always arguements over paying for hide photography when you have photographed everything in the wild the UK has got to offer Insects, Mamals,Birds Reptiles, amphibians and even some fish what is left to do.
I came to the conclusion to try other countries in cases like that i think paying for hide photography is acceptable especially if you extend your stay to take in the surroundings. As long as the welfare of the subject is taken into account and comes first.
Rich

Last edited:
Rich I thought it was just my white balance on the Greenfinch so I'm glad yours is very similar in colour.

No old pal that was the golden light and the whiteness of the snow lighting him I actually checked my white balance when I took the shot. ;) we get lucky occasionally
Rich

Good i can post mine now without all the usual crap being asked..

See if you had put it up ;) I would have said it was typical dodgy Nikon white balance :naughty:
Glad you are enjoying the thread though and thanks again for organising it.
Rich(y)

Cool mate, your welcome! The bears, wolves and woverine in 11weeks or so, pitty your not going along.

Wish I could but we are in Cuba in 2 weeks I am going to have to do some work :eek: that word is a shock to the system. But maybe next time must remember to send you the Goshawk info
Rich

This thread is fantastic and so interesting. The photography is amazing, really great shots. Can't wait to see more.

You've done a darn great job so far Richard,
this thread is a beautiful experience, thanks!

Hi All
Than you very much for your nice comments they are really appreciated and make we realise I should try and post more. The reality was I was in a beautiful place and the Goddesses of luck smiled on me. All I did was press the shutter release i use my images like a photo diary and document my trips with the photographs I take. I like to take the surroundings and the people I meet as well. I normally create a file with between 30 and 50 images in and keep them on my phone and when I am sat bored or waiting somewhere I can revisit Sweden or any place else I have ever been. You know what they say a photograph speaks more than a thousand words.:)
Rich

Last edited:
The reality was I was in a beautiful place and the Goddesses of luck smiled on me. All I did was press the shutter.
Rich
Hi Richard. Can't say I have been on this thread before but I was hooked as soon as I veiwed the first image. Plus the text above sums up how I feel evrytime I take a reasnobale photo.
Gaz

Great images love the squirrel shot, going of thread if I may how did you find the Yeti to drive?

Hi All
Glad you are all liking the images, Mark me old pal it was the first day when you missed out because you were still winding up the D4 to use;) . Its the one where Chas was about 1/100 of a second behind me and the snow bank clipped the Base of the tail in his my very next frame is almost the same as his. Adam seeing the Eagles in this setting was stunning.
On the 6 days we spent at the hide Connie was very accommodating about our needs and his good lady cooked us some fantastic meals. I have a long list of missed photographic chances just simply down to me not allowing enough time but I shall be traveling back to Sweden in about 2 years time and that will be rectified;)
Rich
P.s
Canon 1dx
Canon 5D mkiii
Canon 600mm f4 i.s
Canon 300mm F2.8 i.s
Canon 100-400mm mkii
Canon 20-35mm f2.8
Sigma 15mm f2.8
Canon 1.4 extender mkii
Also my Panasonic lx100

Nothing like traveling light LOL

Stunning shots well worth carrying that lot I see

Great images love the squirrel shot, going of thread if I may how did you find the Yeti to drive?

Hi Ed I found the Yeti a great car to drive it was the diesel version with 4wd I still managed to get it stuck though. As an occasional 4x4 it is good but not something that has really great off road capability. Mark is referring to me moving over to give another driver a bit more room on one of the unpaved roads I thought I had another 18 inches of road that wasn't there the snow ploughs had leveled off the snow on the side of the road I dropped both wheels off the road resulting in having to be pulled out. That said I did about 1300 miles in it.

Again thank you all for your comments they are really appreciated

Regards
Richard

Hi All
Rich
P.s
Canon 1dx
Canon 5D mkiii
Canon 600mm f4 i.s
Canon 300mm F2.8 i.s
Canon 100-400mm mkii
Canon 20-35mm f2.8
Sigma 15mm f2.8
Canon 1.4 extender mkii
Also my Panasonic lx100
So, you managed to take all this lot into the cabin?! Post some more, Richard!

Back