Switching from Canon to Fuji - Shall I or Shall I not?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am a wedding photographer that shoots for over a decade with workhorses from Canon (mainly 5D series - Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV). I have lots of lens, mostly primes (24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.2, 135 F2, 70-200 F2.8 II, 100mm Macro, 16-35 F2.8 II, 24-70 F2.8).
Few years ago I purchased my 1st mirror less, the Fuji X-T1 - and what a lovely camera. Then I got like few lens - 14, 35, 56 1.2 (what an amazing piece of glass) and I am pretty happy with it. Then, the X-T2 came out, the X-T3 and .... but for some reason, I am holding back in purchasing the X-T3 and fully switch to Fuji ...

What would you do?!

I am a wedding photographer that shoots for over a decade with workhorses from Canon (mainly 5D series - Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV). I have lots of lens, mostly primes (24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.2, 135 F2, 70-200 F2.8 II, 100mm Macro, 16-35 F2.8 II, 24-70 F2.8).
Few years ago I purchased my 1st mirror less, the Fuji X-T1 - and what a lovely camera. Then I got like few lens - 14, 35, 56 1.2 (what an amazing piece of glass) and I am pretty happy with it. Then, the X-T2 came out, the X-T3 and .... but for some reason, I am holding back in purchasing the X-T3 and fully switch to Fuji ...

What would you do?!
Save yourself a step and switch to Sony :)

More seriously, if you're happy with what the XT-1 produces, you'll be very happy with an XT-3.

Last edited:
I have all concurrently a Canon 5DIV, Sony A73 and Fuji X-T1.

The Sony A73 is the better camera in more ways than the others over it. None is perfect but the Sony edges it if you are going mirrorless. It is leagues ahead of the X-T1 so if you like the X-T1 then you will love the Sony A73.

Well - the A7III and Fuji X-T3 are 2 different animals - one is Full Frame, the other is APS-C. I`ve shot a bit with A7III and I am impressed, however, I`ll voice my opinion - Sony ways always intended for consumers - but with the latest generations of cameras, they have stepped ahead. However, one thing I can say, they cameras they produce are not workhorses, and the rate of failure is still high - when I am shooting weddings, I need smth to rely on.

Fuji, to me, they have always been intended for professional use - and they glass is amazing with one fraction of the price of the Sony GM lens and let`s face it, some of them have known issues, like 70-200 GM.

Well - the A7III and Fuji X-T3 are 2 different animals - one is Full Frame, the other is APS-C. I`ve shot a bit with A7III and I am impressed, however, I`ll voice my opinion - Sony ways always intended for consumers - but with the latest generations of cameras, they have stepped ahead. However, one thing I can say, they cameras they produce are not workhorses, and the rate of failure is still high - when I am shooting weddings, I need smth to rely on.

Fuji, to me, they have always been intended for professional use - and they glass is amazing with one fraction of the price of the Sony GM lens and let`s face it, some of them have known issues, like 70-200 GM.

Shot weddings with the Sony since the A73 came out so that is 12 months now and they held up just fine, even the "weather sealing" held up.

TBH, if you found the 5D3 fine then the X-T3 will be just fine.

I've had a 5D2 for the last eight years and recently decided to upgrade. There was no way I could justify the cost of a 5D4 so I started looking at other brands, and settled on an X-T2 (which was a third of the price of a 5D4). Wasn't sure about going from a FF DSLR to an APS-C mirrorless, but I'm glad I did! Admittedly, there is going to be a much bigger difference between the now ancient 5D2 and the X-T2 than there would be if you moved from a newer 5D.

The difference in size is crazy, especially when you've got 2-3 lenses and a body in a bag! The best thing for me is that the settings on the X-T2 has all its settings on dials on top of the camera rather than in stupid menus somewhere.

I've had a 5D2 for the last eight years and recently decided to upgrade. There was no way I could justify the cost of a 5D4 so I started looking at other brands, and settled on an X-T2 (which was a third of the price of a 5D4). Wasn't sure about going from a FF DSLR to an APS-C mirrorless, but I'm glad I did! Admittedly, there is going to be a much bigger difference between the now ancient 5D2 and the X-T2 than there would be if you moved from a newer 5D.

The difference in size is crazy, especially when you've got 2-3 lenses and a body in a bag! The best thing for me is that the settings on the X-T2 has all its settings on dials on top of the camera rather than in stupid menus somewhere.

The size and quality of images makes me go with them! I just don`t want to regret if I have a failure at any of my weddings!

I’m a Canon shooter through and through.

My other half switched from canon to Fuji a couple of years ago. The upside was I “inherited” lots of lovely Canon lenses and other gear. The downside is that he rarely (if ever) picks up a camera these days.

I rest my case .........

I wonder why Fuji and the others don't do what Olympus does and run a test scheme; I thought I wanted a Fuji when I went to the show a couple of years ago. Picked it up and made a judgement based on that only ie I didn't like it in my hands. I liked the Olympus and then decided to borrow one on the Test and Wow scheme. I now run two systems and like them both. Perhaps if I had had the chance to try the Fuji, I would have chosen them.

Interesting. The question is "Should I stick with Canon which I like or switch to Fuji which I really love"? and the answer is; "Buy a Sony". Hmmmm.

As someone who has shot weddings in the past and who has used Canon and Fuji, I stuck with Canon for weddings. The reason was mainly the flash system and AF. Now this was years ago and my bodies were 5D2 and then 5D3. At that time, the Canon AF was miles faster and better in low light, but I believe that isn't the case now with the X-T3. If you don't use flash, (though in Cyprus sun I'm guessing you might need to) and given the better AF on the X-T3, then maybe the Fuji will do the job give you more fun and therefore you might make better pictures.

Last edited:
Interesting. The question is "Should I stick with Canon which I like or switch to Fuji which I really love"? and the answer is; "Buy a Sony". Hmmmm.

As someone who has shot weddings in the past and who has used Canon and Fuji, I stuck with Canon for weddings. The reason was mainly the flash system and AF. Now this was years ago and my bodies were 5D2 and then 5D3. At that time, the Canon AF was miles faster and better in low light, but I believe that isn't the case now with the X-T3. If you don't use flash, (though in Cyprus sun I'm guessing you might need to) and given the better AF on the X-T3, then maybe the Fuji will do the job give you more fun and therefore you might make better pictures.

Sony is not an option, not now at least :)

I don’t do weddings (yet) but do events and other corporate stuff... and have recently felt the lure of the Fuji. Being a full frame Nikon shooter, I debated it in my head for a while, but decided to pick up the X-T3, a 23 1.4 and 56 1.2 to sit alongside my D750 - as a second body for paid work, and my primary personal camera. It will also enable me to dabble with video.

I’ll see how I get on, but when it comes to replacing my D750, I may need to give it some thought!

I would say perhaps transition more to the Fuji as your primary system, see how you get on, and then go all in!

One thing that I like with mirrorless is that the face/eye detect and the ability to focus anywhere in the frame enables a very high hit rate and lets me concentrate on composition and capturing the moment rather than worrying about focusing. I honestly don't know how a DSLR would be able to match those abilities. Not when used as a DSLR held to your eye.

Without getting into brands I'd have thought that a mirrorless system could be an advantage for someone photographing people and possibly wanting the point of focus to be at least occasionally away from where the DSLR focuses best, in the central area, for compositional purposes.

If whatever mirrorless system you have or look at can focus in the environment you shoot in I'd have though it would have real advantages over a traditional DSLR.

Last edited:
I
One thing that I like with mirrorless is that the face/eye detect and the ability to focus anywhere in the frame enables a very high hit rate and lets me concentrate on composition and capturing the moment rather than worrying about focusing. I honestly don't know how a DSLR would be able to match those abilities. Not when used as a DSLR held to your eye.

Without getting into brands I'd have thought that a mirrorless system could be an advantage for someone photographing people and possibly wanting the point of focus to be at least occasionally away from where the DSLR focuses best, in the central area, for compositional purposes.

If whatever mirrorless system you have or look at can focus in the environment you shoot in I'd have though it would have real advantages over a traditional DSLR.
That will be the major draw (back to) mirrorless for me. Not being limited to central focusing points, not worrying about af fine tune/focus shift and being able to focus on taking a pic not worrying about whether the af system will keep up.

I also have a lot of canon lenses and wondering the same. I rented Sony and Fuji yo test out and decided to keep with Canon as results are good and don’t want to trade in all the lenses. I did however get tempted by Fuji GFX for portraits and landscape....

Interesting you feel Fuji is more geared towards professional use than Sony. Not sure I'd agree entirely.

I am contemplating going from Sony to Fuji myself. Fuji X-T3 does have some nice benefits and smaller lenses.

I'd shot with Canon for many years, from my EOS620 film body. I shoot mainly wildlife, but also other stuff as well and my line up consisted of a 7D1, 7D2 & 6D1. Mostly L lenses, the only non L was an EF-S 17-55 f2.8, and a Sigma 150-600 Sport. After a long period with a back problem I decided I had to do something as the weight was stopping me using the kit. For a while I ran 2 systems, with an X-T1 & X-T2 with a couple of lenses. Once I got the 100-400 & 1.4TC I don't think I ever used the Canon gear again.

I P/X'ed it for a couple of lenses and a 2nd T2 body, my son now has my T1 & a couple of lenses.

Some things aren't as good. I had to get used to dealing with the Fuji files in LR, but now have that covered. The T2 doesn't track as well as the 7D2 but the new T3 does, and I intend to upgrade at least one body soon.

It's smaller, lighter, the native glass is brilliant. I like using the EVF, and even though I can get through batteries, they are small enough to carry plenty. I shot a friends wedding last year using 2 bodies, with the 16mm & 35mm f1.4's and the 50-140 f2.8. I've now swapped out the 16 for the 90 f2 as I also have the 10-24.

I haven't looked back, but I do have fault on one of my bodies (however Canon had to fix my first 7D because of a fault so I don't have an issue with it).

Now, if I had the money, and a better back, I'd have a D850 with a few lenses, but I know I wouldn't take them anywhere because of the weight.....

I had to get used to dealing with the Fuji files in LR, but now have that covered.

This has been the one thing preventing me from a switch back to Fuji, I really do like the system and the look and feel of everything about it besides the issues in processing. I don't think I'm alone on that either. BUT ... I've been watching some videos on processing Fuji RAW files recently, again, and people are figuring it out nicely. Even within LR - which is what I would prefer to use [I do have some of the other programs besides but can never fully get along with them] For one; just don't over sharpen, and yes, there's specific methods to sharpen Xtrans files in these softwares that you need to realise going in to begin with ... there is just a tad more care to be taken when dealing with Fuji Xtrns files and everything can be golden.

This has been the one thing preventing me from a switch back to Fuji, I really do like the system and the look and feel of everything about it besides the issues in processing. I don't think I'm alone on that either. BUT ... I've been watching some videos on processing Fuji RAW files recently, again, and people are figuring it out nicely. Even within LR - which is what I would prefer to use [I do have some of the other programs besides but can never fully get along with them] For one; just don't over sharpen, and yes, there's specific methods to sharpen Xtrans files in these softwares that you need to realise going in to begin with ... there is just a tad more care to be taken when dealing with Fuji Xtrns files and everything can be golden.

Keith, it wasn't a huge learning curve, and update to LR & the Fuji softwares have helped a great deal.

Now I shoot exclusively Fuji, I'm quite happy with the results.

Mallard Portrait by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Red Panda by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF4218 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I've got some quite large images on my wall that were shot on Fuji. The one thing I haven't really tested is shooting people, as I don't do that very often....

No problems for me shooting weddings/ events with Fuji but it will be a steep learning curve initially as it's very different from a Canon DSLR.

I think if you really want to make the change, you'll need to run both systems for a while until you're confident that you can do what you need to on the Fuji set up.

Keith, it wasn't a huge learning curve, and update to LR & the Fuji softwares have helped a great deal.

Now I shoot exclusively Fuji, I'm quite happy with the results.

Mallard Portrait by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Red Panda by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF4218 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I've got some quite large images on my wall that were shot on Fuji. The one thing I haven't really tested is shooting people, as I don't do that very often....
Steve that 35 1.4 renders beautifully with the xt2

Just an alternative thing to consider.

I've been working with a pro commercial photographer for the last few weeks and he's got (and prefers) the Fuji XT-3 to shooting on a full-size mirrored set up.

He said that while image quality for him was easily on par, one of his biggest concerns is client expectations.

By that he means that when people hire a 'professional' photographer, they expect them to turn up with a huge camera. When he whipped out his Fuji, he said he could tell people thought it might just be for test shots or recce work and their opinion of his professionalism would go down a notch or two. Any personal work, or for clients he can convince to go with mirrorless, he'd prefer to use the Fuji.

Just as an FYI the shots he took (is currently taking) for us were on a Nikon D750.

Last edited:
Back