Switching to film

Edit My Images
No
Its been a good few years since i have used a Film SLR or processed any film. But i keep finding myself drawn to it more and more. I would like to use Medium Format and possibly a Fuji Gx617 or equivalent down the line.

Not sure what Body to go for as far as medium format goes i dont have the largest budget, but would want something of decent quality.

I would be processing the film at home which i need a fair amount of practise at but it is the route i want to go down. Then scanning the negatives(myself to start with, anything i really like i might get Drum Scanned).

Its just an idea anyway, i want to get a lot more hands on with my photogaphy and experiment more.

any recommendations?

If you want a bargain.... I bought a Lubitel 166b on ebay recently for under £30 delivered and I'm LOVING it :). It's really quirky to use once you figure it out. People complain about the view finder being a pain to use, but I'm finding it a charm. You just have to find the little magnifying eye piece to help you focus and off you go.

I only just put my first medium format film through it last week though. I did lash a 35mm through the week before, but I messed up some settings. I'll post up some results of the medium format when I get it developed. Plan to some stage this week.

Here's a sample of a shot I took on ilford 35mm:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karmagarda/4083501207/in/set-72157622663526231/

All the B&Ws in that set are taken on the lubitel. Ignore the fact I managed to over expose almost all of the photos :LOL:

Have aword with 'david1701', he was selling a MF that would make a good starter.

Dave.

Unfortunately, GX617 and small budget do not go well together as you have probably found out.

One of the best medium format bargains at the moment is the Mamiya RB67. Other options in the 6x7 format are the Pentax 67 and the Bronica GS-1.

I am also a fan of medium format panoramic cameras but can't afford one so I am currently building a 6x12 format camera which is nearly finished: http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/pano612.html

Steve.

Unfortunately, GX617 and small budget do not go well together as you have probably found out.

One of the best medium format bargains at the moment is the Mamiya RB67. Other options in the 6x7 format are the Pentax 67 and the Bronica GS-1.

I am also a fan of medium format panoramic cameras but can't afford one so I am currently building a 6x12 format camera which is nearly finished: http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/pano612.html

Steve.

Yeah unfortunate about the price of the GX617 and 6x17 format cameras in general. Which is a shame because I love panoramas. But if i get into film photography enough im sure my savings can take a hit for a while.

Ill have a look into those bodies, funnily enough i was looking at a Mamiya RB67 already.

Another way of going panoramic, though technically not medium format, is to get a Bronica ETRS or ETRSi and try to find the 35mm wide back and also get a 50mm or 40mm lens.

This will give you negatives the same size as the X-Pan for a fraction of the cost and can also be used as a medium format camera with the normal back.

Steve.

Another way of going panoramic, though technically not medium format, is to get a Bronica ETRS or ETRSi and try to find the 35mm wide back and also get a 50mm or 40mm lens.

This will give you negatives the same size as the X-Pan for a fraction of the cost and can also be used as a medium format camera with the normal back.

Steve.

Interesting, i will definatly have a look into that :)

Be aware when looking for Bronica 35mm backs that there are two type. The normal type which gives a standard 24x36mm fram is fairly common. The wide version is rare but they do show up occasionally.

Steve.

Back