Sycamore Gap Tree

I do hope when the trial comes they treat the bad guys with a heavy hand , Set a example .

Yes, mass tourism is always an issue but am I being unrealistic... aren't most landscape photographers respectful of their environment?
Probably but when there are literally 100s trampling there and back all year round a degree of gradual destruction is inevitable.

There's a tree on the moorland between Sheffield and the Peak District that made for a nice subject. Here's a shot I took a few years ago:

View: https://flic.kr/p/2df2xx7

This is what it looks like now:

View attachment 417971

B6054

I'm not suggesting it was the most photogenic tree in the world, but it's location close to the road (and a layby) meant it was well photographed. I can't see any reason why the tree would have been disfigured like this other than ill-intent.
It looked on its last legs probably snow and/or wind broke it off and the bits blew away.
Trees don't thrive on waterlogged windswept uplands in northern England

Not in the overall tide of history. It's not on a par with demolishing a crooked pub.
They have been ordered to rebuild the Crooked House within 3 years to the original standard before the fire ( If that's the one you are referring to !) The people owning the Pub /quarry/digger have done some dodgy stuff in the past including the attempted biggest known importation of drugs to Ireland , Burning their own landfill to clear more space ( allegedly never proven) and have already knocked down other building illegally.

The company that's supposed to be paying for the crooked pub rebuild will probably go pop before they spend much cash on it and their problem will go away. Not right but it happens.

The company that's supposed to be paying for the crooked pub rebuild will probably go pop before they spend much cash on it and their problem will go away. Not right but it happens.
Wouldn't surprise me at all !

Trees don't thrive on waterlogged windswept uplands in northern England
Oh yes they do! Look at all the thriving mature sycamores around the ruins of abandoned steadings about the hills. What does for trees about the uplands isn't the weather - it's the bloody sheep. Without them, we'd be widely forested up to the natural treeline ...

Oh yes they do! Look at all the thriving mature sycamores around the ruins of abandoned steadings about the hills. What does for trees about the uplands isn't the weather - it's the bloody sheep. Without them, we'd be widely forested up to the natural treeline ...

yes I’ve never understood why the Lake District national park is allowed to be overgrazed by sheep

yes I’ve never understood why the Lake District national park is allowed to be overgrazed by sheep
Because the concept of 'National Park' is a somewhat clumsy & arbitrary one. That doesn't mean it's bad - it is what it is. There are certain parallels with the world of planning permissions in the built environment. But it's impossible to be a purist in either sphere. It's bound to be a fudge.

Of course, the builders of the wall would have been horrified to see a tree growing that close to it!

Of course, the builders of the wall would have been horrified to see a tree growing that close to it!
The actual builders were locals who were probably slaves so their opinion did not matter. I suspect that the Romans would have been more concerned about a tree on the other side. It was not all bad as the Romans employed a lot of folks in the area who made a good living from supplying the forts. If a local had cut down a favourite tree of the local Roman Governor, I imagine that the punishment would have been very harsh.

Dave

the Lake District national park is allowed to be overgrazed by sheep

Because the concept of 'National Park' is a somewhat clumsy & arbitrary one. That doesn't mean it's bad - it is what it is. There are certain parallels with the world of planning permissions in the built environment. But it's impossible to be a purist in either sphere. It's bound to be a fudge.

The British concept of a "National Park" is very different to the one followed in most of the rest of the world.

The British concept of a "National Park" is very different to the one followed in most of the rest of the world.
Almost certainly true but modern UK did not inherit huge prairies or Forests as in some countries. We have a very small country which almost all was developed at least for farming centuries ago. Given the need to produce food, a compromise is necessary.

Almost certainly true but modern UK did not inherit huge prairies or Forests as in some countries. We have a very small country which almost all was developed at least for farming centuries ago. Given the need to produce food, a compromise is necessary.

In most countries when it comes to National Parks, there is no place for a compromise. Other designations are more "mixed use".

Back