Sycamore Gap Tree

Just seen on the news that some idiot has cut down the famous Sycamore Gap tree.
What is it with some folks

LINKY for the article
Vandalism does not quite cover that sort of malicious act!

If the cut stump picture is indeed the way it was found vs showing it after the felled remains have been made safe.......then they must have taken in some seriously big chainsaw(s) and have been experienced in its usage:(

Though as the article mentions is what has been done a chargeable criminal offence or a civil one ???

It's not a particularly big tree but whoever did it knew what they were doing.
A more amateur approach might have resulted in it being hacked about which might have been worse TBH.

Looking at the stump though, an experienced tree feller would have taken out a much bigger wedge so it didn't trap his saw.
The hinge appears to have worked as planned probably aided by strong wind.

Last edited:
It's not a particularly big tree but whoever did it knew what they were doing.
A more amateur approach might have resulted in it being hacked about which might have been worse TBH.
It gives me pause to wonder.......

Did they film themselves doing?

Are they likely to brag and be overheard by others who rightly will report them?

In other words finding the culprit any other way is I surmise fairly remote :(

It gives me pause to wonder.......

Did they film themselves doing?

Are they likely to brag and be overheard by others who rightly will report them?

In other words finding the culprit any other way is I surmise fairly remote :(
These idiots are stupid enough to have filmed themselves so hopefully they will be found.

Might be worth a search on TikTok after all.that where these people post isn't it?

A mindless moron who is now so proud of what he did :mad:

Just when news reports come out saying that the UK is one of the most nature-depleted countries... somebody does this...outrageous!
Hmm.. I don't think a not-really-native sycamore thronged with people helped nature all that much.
It looks like there is a sapling in a circular dry stone wall enclosure right by it not sure what it is.

Hmm.. I don't think a not-really-native sycamore thronged with people helped nature all that much.
It looks like there is a sapling in a circular dry stone wall enclosure right by it not sure what it is.
I agree.

Vandalism is always annoying but there are so many more important issues to concentrate on.

I agree.

Vandalism is always annoying but there are so many more important issues to concentrate on.
Indeed, it is in such an exposed location it would likely have blown down within 50 years anyway, especially when the area round it is heavily over trafficked by people year round.

Horrible.

My gut feeling is probably someone very local. Somebody who hates people.

I suspect that you might be right. It often seems that people who commit similar acts of vandalism do it out of spite for some perceived grievance. I'd be looking at farmers or land owners who have got fed up with people traipsing over their land.

Another possibility is that some bonehead has mis-interpreted their instructions to do a bit of tidying up. How often have we heard of council workers felling whole streets full of trees by mistake?

Last edited:
It often seems that people who commit similar acts of vandalism do it out of spite for some perceived grievance. I'd be looking at farmers or land owners who have got fed up with people traipsing over their land.
I believe you may well be right as well. Or someone driving along who has been inconvenienced by people parking on the road in order to take the iconic shot of the tree and preventing them from hurtling along the roman road. I am absolute gutted at this awful vandalism....

I suspect that you might be right. It often seems that people who commit similar acts of vandalism do it out of spite for some perceived grievance. I'd be looking at farmers or land owners who have got fed up with people traipsing over their land.

Another possibility is that some bonehead has mis-interpreted their instructions to do a bit of tidying up. How often have we heard of council workers felling whole streets full of trees by mistake?

I believe you may well be right as well. Or someone driving along who has been inconvenienced by people parking on the road in order to take the iconic shot of the tree and preventing them from hurtling along the roman road. I am absolute gutted at this awful vandalism....
Some such reasoning could backfire on the perpetrator(s) as the number of visitors for some/a while could increase akin to rubber neckers passing the scene of an accident???

Last edited:
Now I cant visit the scene of my fave film Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

I really can't comprehend this, it is not in a location that you just "rock up to" with a chainsaw.

Many people walk that part of Hadrian's wall just to see/photograph that location.

It's easy to scoff, of course, at it 'only being a tree'.

But it was also a tourist attraction. Certainly lots of people visiting Northumberland would have it on their 'to do' list helping buoy the economy around that area.

It was easily the most famous tree in Britain (with the possible exception of the Tyburn Tree - which wasn't a tree). And known globally thanks to Kevin Costner clearly getting lost on his way back to Nottingham.

Perhaps I'm biased as I'm from Northumberland, but I simply cannot fathom the level of moron who thinks this is in any way acceptable. The saddest thing is, nothing will happen to them. They'll claim bragging rights and become famous for all the wrong reasons.

Does cut on the tree look smaller than that on the stump? There seems to be a paint ring round it as though indicating to be cut there.

Edit to say: the photo in the link posted by @Ryewolf below, shows it’s the angle of the wedge that’s giving the ‘smaller” impression.

Last edited:
Does cut on the tree look smaller than that on the stump? There seems to be a paint ring round it as though indicating to be cut there.

You're right. There is a ring. Looks as if it was marked to be cut there. Somebody with more knowledge will have to explain how significant that is, but it does suggest a degree of knowledge. Make of that what you will.

You're right. There is a ring. Looks as if it was marked to be cut there. Somebody with more knowledge will have to explain how significant that is, but it does suggest a degree of knowledge. Make of that what you will.

It’s quite common to see trees with paint sometimes with numbers put by local council in connection with preservation orders I think, times to mark where girth has been taken in a woodland survey and sometimes no doubt to indicate which or where to cut.

If you know anything about felling trees it hasn't been done by an experienced chainsaw user.
The wedge taken out is far too small so no real control over where it fell, though the wind last night would have made it a lot easier.
Typically if you do that it will settle on your saw which is a major problem

Sky news reporting a 16year old has been arrested
Do we think a 16 year old, acting alone, is physically capable of such act, and a pretty clean professional-looking cut? Or was he just in the wrong place at the wrong time and being setup? Obviously we don't have the facts so this is purely a speculation.

Apparently it is.

Things like this just make me realise more and more why I hate humans and do everything possible to avoid them.
Frankly you are looking at it from the wrong angle.

Hmmmm! a 16 yo being responsible for doing it.... .alone ~ really!

As long as he can drive a big chain saw, why not?

Edit: Oops, mind my manners. As long as he/she/they/them/it can drive a big chain saw, why not?

Last edited:
Frankly you are looking at it from the wrong angle.
There's another angle?

My angle is that some d******d human scum has cut down a tree, hundreds of years old for no bloody reason whatsoever.

Last edited:
It is vital that, if found guilty, he receives serious punishment to deter other from destroying our countryside and heritage.

Dave
I cannot recall the outcomes of the recent vandalism/criminal damage to the Italian monuments but IIRC the Italian Government were taking it very seriously.......a lesson for the UK in how to treat such actions???

So rather than an urban tearaway, a bored young farmer with an irrational hatred of the foreigners the tree attracted to the area?
It could be just as well. All we are doing is speculating...

Back