Synology DS218 Play

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone had experience of the above or similar?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to NAS and have bought one and have it running. My problem is I can't figure out how I access my files remotely. I want to be able to view images as I would on any other cloud device. I have downloaded Drive and DS cloud to my mobile, but that doesn't let me view my files either. I can view them on the Mac without issue.

I'm sure I'm making a fundamental mistake, but can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Long time since I got rid of mine, but the issue is probably that you have not signed up for 'QuickConnect' or whatever it's called now.

Basically, when you're out and about, you phone doesn't know how to get back to the NAS on your network. Quick Connect allows the phone to connect to Synology's servers, and the servers keep track of your home IP address, and the app connects that way.

Synology is pretty slick at setting this up - just login to your account on your NAS, and it deals with setting up the router to allow traffic through (assuming your router supports UPNP - which most do), and keeping the Synology servers up to date with your public IP address (which your Internet provider changes from time to time). You can do all this manually yourself with other Dynamic DNS services if you want, but Synology have made it simple.

Long time since I got rid of mine, but the issue is probably that you have not signed up for 'QuickConnect' or whatever it's called now.

Basically, when you're out and about, you phone doesn't know how to get back to the NAS on your network. Quick Connect allows the phone to connect to Synology's servers, and the servers keep track of your home IP address, and the app connects that way.

Synology is pretty slick at setting this up - just login to your account on your NAS, and it deals with setting up the router to allow traffic through (assuming your router supports UPNP - which most do), and keeping the Synology servers up to date with your public IP address (which your Internet provider changes from time to time). You can do all this manually yourself with other Dynamic DNS services if you want, but Synology have made it simple.

I log on via QuickConnect and I can only see shared folders. When I click on the icon, it gives me a list of my folders. I click on my home folder and all it gives me is a description of the folder itself. i.e Name, description, location, user permissions etc.

I log on via QuickConnect and I can only see shared folders. When I click on the icon, it gives me a list of my folders. I click on my home folder and all it gives me is a description of the folder itself. i.e Name, description, location, user permissions etc.
Okay cool - not that then!

The other thing I remember is by default, there are shared fixed locations for picture, movies etc, and the specific apps point to those (picture viewer, movie player etc). There was a generic files app that allowed you to browse your other folders - I always used that.

You could / can change the defaults, but without a unit anymore I can't recall the details, but I remember it had some 'side effects' that meant I kept going away from the specific apps. Not much help, sorry!

Okay cool - not that then!

The other thing I remember is by default, there are shared fixed locations for picture, movies etc, and the specific apps point to those (picture viewer, movie player etc). There was a generic files app that allowed you to browse your other folders - I always used that.

You could / can change the defaults, but without a unit anymore I can't recall the details, but I remember it had some 'side effects' that meant I kept going away from the specific apps. Not much help, sorry!

Just tried adding a photo to the specific photo folder but its the same. Al I get is a description of the folder when I try and view it from the phone. I have noticed I can't log in to the DS Photo app as it says my user name or password is incorrect

Figured it out. I hadn't enabled DS Photos in control panel. It would seem I am missing out on a huge amount of functionality here

What version of Synology are you running?

I believe you can do what want with the Synology application called "Photo Station" which is bundled in the package

What version of Synology are you running?

I believe you can do what want with the Synology application called "Photo Station" which is bundled in the package

That's what I actually meant when I typed DS photos above. It works fine now

Back