Synology NAS

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Can someone please point me to an idiots guide to accessing my NAS remotely? I can access it at home via wifi but I have zero idea how to access it away from my home.
It’s a Synology DS 218 play
Thanks

I'm not sure about the idiot guide, there is likely something on the synology website. To setup mine I enabled the VPN Server application with the OpenVPN configuration, saved the credentials to my pc which I was then able to copy to my phone. To connect from outside your network you need to add a port forward on your broadband router on port 1194 (default port) to the internal IP address of your synology. To connect from your phone you use the OpenVPN app with your saved credentials, there is also apps available for a PC.
Hope this helps.

Stuart

I sympathise, I have similar problems. Other than the Synology help section, I am not aware of any idiots guide. In my case the website address I was trying to use was slightly out.

Have you tried their support service?

Possibly reinstall and make sure you note all the connection settings.

Have a search on YouTube for SpaceRex.

He has loads of videos on NAS setup including VPN, Quickconnect and DDNS for remote access.

Another good channel is NASCompares

Last edited:
There are loads of good videos on YouTube, including ones from Synology- it's where I usually go if I'm struggling with something.

As well as SpaceRex I find NASCompares useful too :)

I have a synology NAS and have recently started using Tailscale. I won’t say I understand it but generally just seems to work

Thanks all, I am using Quick connect but it seems my router isn’t playing. I’ve spoken to my isp EE and they have literally no idea what it means!
Here a shot of the warning I get

Attachments

• 88F79D8F-2A69-45D9-A3BE-E5731E74D8A6.jpeg
    88F79D8F-2A69-45D9-A3BE-E5731E74D8A6.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 21
Quite common, just proceed with manual, are you familiar with port-forwarding if necessary?

Quite common, just proceed with manual, are you familiar with port-forwarding if necessary?

Unfortunately no... I'm looking at manually adding it but my router isn't recognised so I'm kinda falling at the first hurdle

Last edited:
Have you tried :

Remote access - through Synology website/my account?
It only works if I’m at home on the same network. Not if I’m away from home trying to access it

I know this might sound stupid but is the NAS actually switched on when you are out and about.

The NAS is not putting its self to "sleep" is it?

I had a NAS that used to do that and in order to access it from outside my home network I had to disable that option so it stayed "on" and active at all times

Nick if your just wanting to hit your Synology Login for the NAS then Quickconnect, however if your wanting to access things like Plex, CCTV then your EE router will need UPNP. I would hope it has being EE, this will enable auto port mapping on the router for the NAS access.

Nick if your just wanting to hit your Synology Login for the NAS then Quickconnect, however if your wanting to access things like Plex, CCTV then your EE router will need UPNP. I would hope it has being EE, this will enable auto port mapping on the router for the NAS access.

Still struggling, I’m using quick connect via web browser and can only connect when I’m at home on the same Wi-Fi, as soon as I leave the network I can’t access it.
I just want to access my photos online like a cloud service

Still struggling, I’m using quick connect via web browser and can only connect when I’m at home on the same Wi-Fi, as soon as I leave the network I can’t access it.
I just want to access my photos online like a cloud service
Nick have you followed this ?

Nick have you followed this ?

Tried that and when I go to external access Quick Connect is checked but the advanced settings are greyed out

Tried that and when I go to external access Quick Connect is checked but the advanced settings are greyed out
Not much ive seen on that issue. only thing i see is going to the online portal disabling it then re-enabling it. im pretty sure the Advanced section lets you choose what things you can see, let me fire up mine and see what it says

SO when youve clicked Quickconnect i presume all your IDs are correct in the blue box below ? IE Quickconnect ID :JohnDoe, then the DSM address etc ?below

SO when youve clicked Quickconnect i presume all your IDs are correct in the blue box below ? IE Quickconnect ID :JohnDoe, then the DSM address etc ?below
I have no idea what I’ve done, but now I can log in! Now the issue is I can’t access my folders… it says shared folder but when I click on it I get this screen:

Attachments

• 28B9663D-D325-4994-AF0A-4B5DCC266292.jpeg
    28B9663D-D325-4994-AF0A-4B5DCC266292.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 8
I have no idea what I’ve done, but now I can log in! Now the issue is I can’t access my folders… it says shared folder but when I click on it I get this screen:

That’s the management of the shared folder, are you using “DS File” or the WebUI?

That’s the management of the shared folder, are you using “DS File” or the WebUI?
I used DS File on the Wi-Fi but as soon as I disconnected or attempt outside the home I get this message:

Attachments

• 3A12DFEC-C9D4-49EE-A215-D0804324BC94.jpeg
    3A12DFEC-C9D4-49EE-A215-D0804324BC94.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 5
i think its as simple as

You install tailscale on your synology nas

register with tailscale

load tailscale on laptop

set nas as network drive using the tailscale ip address for the nas

go have a coffee and try it out

I access the nas from a few remote sites and it just seems to work

Guide here https://tailscale.com/kb/1131/synology/

I used DS File on the Wi-Fi but as soon as I disconnected or attempt outside the home I get this message:
Just checking. You are using your quickconnect ID and not your IP address to login to DS File aren”t you?

Also have you setup any rules in the firewall which could be blocking external access.

Last edited:
Another thought. Try connecting by logging in to your account on the Synology website.

Just checking. You are using your quickconnect ID and not your IP address to login to DS File aren”t you?

Also have you setup any rules in the firewall which could be blocking external access.

Yes, using Quickconnect ID. Will try again once. I'm out of the house as the mobile signal here isn't great at all

Another thought. Try connecting by logging in to your account on the Synology website.

Thanks, As above I'll also try that this morning when in a good area for reception

We have a winner…. I was trying to log in via my IP…
Thanks everyone for your valuable input

Pleased it has been fixed. I have to say that I do not find the Synology instructions easy to follow. I am no expert but for a consumer product it should be easier.
Agreed! I’m not a Luddite by any means but it does seem to assume you have more knowledge of NAS than maybe you do

I have spent several hours over the last few days trying to set up Tailscale and trying to link the NAS with Alexa. I got Tailscale to work but I was not sure it was secure as I got warnings every time I tried to connected, The Alexa link was just impossible for me and from a Google I am not alone.

Back