Synology

Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought myself a Synology NAS

Was wondering if anyone else uses Synology NAS products and if so what your thoughts were?

How was it for you to set up how you wanted it?

I know Neil uses Synology products so I am looking forward to his input (y)

Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Keith

Keith W said:
Just bought myself a Synology NAS

Was wondering if anyone else uses Synology NAS products and if so what your thoughts were?

How was it for you to set up how you wanted it?

I know Neil uses Synology products so I am looking forward to his input (y)

Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Keith

Hi :wave:

I've got a ds1010+ but as far as I know the interfaces are all the same.

Just a case of setting up the network (I'd put it on a static ip), the drives, the user groups then the shares.

If you get stuck shout but its all pretty easy in the web interface :)

I use a DS212+ and its just great. Very easy to setup and as already said, it's best to assign it a manual IP address, preferably away from the other addresses in use.

I've got a DS412+. It's good, but I find it REALLY slow backing up files from my Macs. I use Carbon Copy Cloner over a Gigabit Ethernet.

ffej1405 said:
I've got a DS412+. It's good, but I find it REALLY slow backing up files from my Macs. I use Carbon Copy Cloner over a Gigabit Ethernet.

Odd, I've always had fast rates from mine(all win 7). All of my Lightroom raw files are accessed directly from mine.

You using smb or afp?

You're....err....welcome?
Just posting up some info which suggests/demonstrates AFP to be a better solution than SMB, in Lion and Mountain Lion.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=778965 - some reported fixes but relating to QNAP, so not sure if Synology is similarly affected.

Last edited:
Well as fast as it arrived it is fast on its way back again

Seriously underwhelmed and disappointed in its performance

PJ S said:
You're....err....welcome?
Just posting up some info which suggests/demonstrates AFP to be a better solution than SMB, in Lion and Mountain Lion.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=778965 - some reported fixes but relating to QNAP, so not sure if Synology is similarly affected.

That makes more sense with an accompanying sentence of text :)

Keith W said:
Well as fast as it arrived it is fast on its way back again

Seriously underwhelmed and disappointed in its performance

Wow that was quick, how did you have it set up? What did you find lacking?

Back