Tablets

Name
Tina
Edit My Images
Yes
OK folks, now don't get all apoplectic but is it at all possible to use a tablet to process photos. I use a canon and shoot raw. Currently using a behemoth of a laptop and Elements. But as I can make a pot of coffee (including brewing time) between actions I'm looking at replacing lappy. i need to carry it around now as circumstances are changing and I'm getting familiar with Virgin Rail :/ Anybody got any helpful suggestions for an impecunious pensioner?

I'm sure it is, of course.

Now to 'what level' is a different matter.

What OS to go for - iOS, 9.7" is the biggest tablet so far, Android, should be a few 12" tablets now, Windows, you have the Surface Pro at 10" or so.

Would any of these be big enough, powerful enough?

Getting a decent RAW editor is obviously the hard part.

There is 'Photo Mate/Photo Mate Pro' on Android. piRAWnha, PhotoRAW and others for iOS, Windows would have lots of course.

Perhaps, an ultra notebook (Windows or Mac) would be more powerful, yet a similar size than a tablet?

Ta,
Shane :)

I do quite a lot of editing on a surface pro now, and have replaced a laptop with it. It is kind of a small laptop though. I've previously had an android tablet and wouldn't like to have to use that edit photos

I imagine the new Lenovo ultrathin laptops will do a good job, quite light, good battery, full OS, I have T440s quite old though, heavier and slower than the newer models but it handles ok and the battery is 7hrs+ office work

I'm sure it is, of course.

Now to 'what level' is a different matter.

What OS to go for - iOS, 9.7" is the biggest tablet so far, Android, should be a few 12" tablets now, Windows, you have the Surface Pro at 10" or so.

Would any of these be big enough, powerful enough?

Getting a decent RAW editor is obviously the hard part.

There is 'Photo Mate/Photo Mate Pro' on Android. piRAWnha, PhotoRAW and others for iOS, Windows would have lots of course.

Perhaps, an ultra notebook (Windows or Mac) would be more powerful, yet a similar size than a tablet?

Ta,
Shane :)

I do quite a lot of editing on a surface pro now, and have replaced a laptop with it. It is kind of a small laptop though. I've previously had an android tablet and wouldn't like to have to use that edit photos

Very helpful, thanks. I presume that it would be hard if not impossible to calibrate in the way we did PC/MACs in the old days. I'd better decide on budgets and possibilities.

Yes, it is possible to edit images on a tablet. In exactly the same way that it is possible to make love standing up in a canoe. Slow, cumbersome and unlikely to be satisfying.

Yes, it is possible to edit images on a tablet. In exactly the same way that it is possible to make love standing up in a canoe. Slow, cumbersome and unlikely to be satisfying.
Excellent analogy!

It all depends on which tablet. A Surfafe Pro 3 with i5 or i7 processor is more than up to it. I use it all the time with my raw files and Adobe CC. Then when back in the office I hook up a 4K monitor keyboard and mouse through its docking station. Works really well.

Very helpful, thanks. I presume that it would be hard if not impossible to calibrate in the way we did PC/MACs in the old days. I'd better decide on budgets and possibilities.
With a Surface Pro you can easily calibrate it. The screen is actually one of the very best for the type of device.

It all depends on which tablet. A Surfafe Pro 3 with i5 or i7 processor is more than up to it. I use it all the time with my raw files and Adobe CC. Then when back in the office I hook up a 4K monitor keyboard and mouse through its docking station. Works really well.
I agree. However surface pro in my opinion is more of a small laptop than a tablet due to weight. It is excellent though

I agree. However surface pro in my opinion is more of a small laptop than a tablet due to weight. It is excellent though
Fair enough. It's more the weight of the original iPad opposed to the current generation. Highly portable though. Fits neatly in my Hadley Pro camera bag, also got a usb3 port, microsd card slot and display port out onboard. And I love how Adobe CC changes automatically to the touch interface.

Saying that the proxy editing on Lightroom mobile on the iPad wasn't bad either.

Considering it copes just fine with Adobe Creative Cloud, Elements shouldn't be a problem at all if you like that tool. I don't know whether it has a tablet optimised interface like the other products do as I don't use it. I prefer Lightroom.

IIRC, the Surface PRO is more like a netbook with a removable keyboard than a conventional tablet. It runs "proper" Windows* rather than the RT version that the Surface employs so can run "real" software as well as apps.

Decisions..decisions...decisions...

The Surface Pro is a Microsoft product is it? How well does it cope with Elements? Or will i be better using a different editing/organisation tool?
It will run elements fine.

I run cs6 on my surface pro 2 (i5 with 8gb ram)

I have got a Dell XPS 12 that can be used as a tablet or an ultrabook. Tend to use it as a laptop to be honest.

Back