Beginner Tack sharp.

Edit My Images
Yes
Or not as the case maybe.

I was snapping some birds this afternoon on the garden and pretty much all of the images look soft, below is one of the betters one.

View attachment 7665

The focus point is spot on the eye as shown in ViewNX2

ISO 800 175mm f6.3 1/200 sec VR on.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Sharpness looks fine to me, the details are being smudged by the ISO though. Not sure what body you have but try some test shots at say 400 ISO instead and see what you get result wise. Also if that lens of yours is wide open at 6.3, consider stopping it down slightly to say F8, as it'll get sharper also.

If you've cropped in to the image, then you'll lose sharpness. The more you crop, the less sharp the image will look.

It is a 100% crop. I used the Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX on a D7100.

Cheers everyone.

I found my 70-300 IS canon was a little soft at 300mm so I always pulled it back a little.
also shooting at the widest aperture isn't always the best option for sharpness, as already mentioned.

I find that even good lenses need optimum conditions to be super sharp. for example, my nice canon 17-55IS was a little weak at f2.8 in snapshots, but in a studio at f8, I couldn't really ask for more.
don't forget too that at the widest aperture, and at the longest focal length, your depth of field will be minimised. With a live/moving object, that makes things more difficult

That's a 100% crop with dull lighting and what looks like a shallow DOF : to my vision the bird's eye looks plenty sharp enough in those conditions.
The rest of the bird may be moving, or forward of the focal plane. I don't see a problem, show us your crappy ones ...

Did you shoot through glass, that would make the image soft, especially if the windows had not been clean recently

need more info, how far away is the bird and what focal length. also if there has been any post processing.

but the sharpness on the birds eye looks pretty good. also that lens won't look tack sharp on your D7100

Back