Tags or keywords and importing.

Edit My Images
No
I've got about 45,000 images in Lightroom 4 that I know have their keywords in the meta data of the file, because they display on certain sites when you upload them.
However due to ongoing problems with Lightroom 4 I'm trying other programs out and 2 that hvae potential, Cyberlink PhotoDirector and Corel Paintshop Pro, both do NOT display the keywords that should be in the RAW, JPG and DNG files.
So, does anyone use these and can help me understand how to make the existing keywords appear?

If you are exporting the images from Lightroom then the keywords will be present even if they are not present in the original file.

If they are not being seen in other Dam programs then it is likely you have not written them to the original files in LR.

By default "automatically write changes to XMP" is unticked so keyword added in LR are just in LR's database and not the images.

Last edited:
If the data displays on certain sites, it's safe to assume the data was written?

To the images exported from Lightroom as a jpeg for instance yes as LR writes the data to the new file as it exports it.

To the original files that were in LR then no unless you know you have written the metadata to the originals in LR, though from your post this does not seem the case as it is not displaying in other software.

If not then the only way other than key wording them all over again in the new software is to go back to LR and write all the metadata to file using LR, presuming you still have the LR catalog intact.

Last edited:
I do have the catalogue intact. How do I go about writing the data to file though?
Saying that, I have rebuilt the catalogue a couple of times. The keywords are still there though, I assume they're in the xmp files?
If that's the case, how do I get them into the image files themselves?

Last edited:
Yeah I've always had that one ticked. I think the fault then must be with the other software. Thanks for your help

Back