Take-a-view aka Landscape Photographer of the Year 2015

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
It's that time of year again, and the latest winners have been revealed.

http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/2015-award-winners/

What's everyone's take? I think last year's winner was a lot stronger, the one they've gone for this time around is a bit too conventional to get me that excited.

I know what you mean but it is a lovely, understated picture, a typical winner for this competition. I find lpoty a strange one though, some very good photographers have missed out altogether with pictures I would've considered to be main contenders. Mind you I've not seen a bad picture from any released publicly so far, the standard of entries is very high and judging must be a thankless task

Last edited:
Assuming we are talking about the Bat's Head, Dorset photo, there is a lot to look at in there for me and does not feel conventional for a landscape competition

I think the winner is a beautiful image. It's very intricate and subtle. The echoing lines of the waves, snow and clifftops, muted colours, triangular composition, gently detailed sea. Very good indeed - I can see why it won.

I am not a fan, I agrred with the OP, the last winner was stronger. I think it is one of those shots that anyone could have taken if you know what I mean.

I am not a fan, I agrred with the OP, the last winner was stronger. I think it is one of those shots that anyone could have taken if you know what I mean.
I disagree. For a starter, snow is incredibly rare on that bit of Dorset, let alone on the beach. The roads are a nightmare, and once you factor in the possibility of quite some hike to get there if you can't park as close to Durdle Door / Bat's Head as usual, it's not a shot that anyone could have rocked up on any day and taken. Andy made good use of the conditions that are very rare in getting, and you won't see many pictures of Bat's Head looking like that.

I disagree. For a starter, snow is incredibly rare on that bit of Dorset, let alone on the beach. The roads are a nightmare, and once you factor in the possibility of quite some hike to get there if you can't park as close to Durdle Door / Bat's Head as usual, it's not a shot that anyone could have rocked up on any day and taken. Andy made good use of the conditions that are very rare in getting, and you won't see many pictures of Bat's Head looking like that.
I take your points. Maybe the biggest thing for me is the snow only forming a very small part of the image making it easily passed over as just another landscape of this scene.

I take your points. Maybe the biggest thing for me is the snow only forming a very small part of the image making it easily passed over as just another landscape of this scene.
I know what you mean, it is a grower.

Oo-er.

I often wonder about some of these competition winners (and some in this one are no exception) but I have to say that the winning image is a cracker ... as above all the things coming together in the way they have and the beautiful colours make it a stand-out image for me :)

When I saw it originally I was not too sold but it as a winner but is definitely one that becomes more engaging the more you look at it. I especially like the clouds and the cliffs complementing the waves and the snow. I think that it is a worthy winner personally. To me it is a bit like the Simon Butterworth one from a few years ago, which I really did not get at the time, but now think is great.

I love the image. Its bright but contrasty and the lead in through the sand very effective. The snow makes it and I doubt if the snow had not happened, the image wouldn't have been entered. Its a worthy winner - despite not being the rich golden light I crave I like it.

I like more conventional big view landscapes, this is perfect landscape photography imho

Don't get me wrong, it's not an 'unworthy' winner, however when I go to the exhibition (which alas is again the Watrerloo concourse) I doubt it'll be the picture I gravitate towards. On the other hand, I'll make no bones about writing off the 'Countryside is Great' winner for HDR abuse.

Talking of which, Charlie Waite's state-side spinoff, USA LPOTY announced it's second year winners earlier this month . IMO there's a couple of photos that are seriously OTT HDR (including the winner) and almost down to the picture, it seems to favour really saturated colours.

Don't get me wrong, it's not an 'unworthy' winner, however when I go to the exhibition (which alas is again the Watrerloo concourse) I doubt it'll be the picture I gravitate towards. On the other hand, I'll make no bones about writing off the 'Countryside is Great' winner for HDR abuse.

Talking of which, Charlie Waite's state-side spinoff, USA LPOTY announced it's second year winners earlier this month . IMO there's a couple of photos that are seriously OTT HDR (including the winner) and almost down to the picture, it seems to favour really saturated colours.

I quite like the dunes shot, but agree the images appear too dark and saturated, but thats the look they go for.

I hate the countryside is great winner too ;)

The explanation is found under the description of the category: "The winner will be chosen by representatives of Countryside is GREAT / VisitBritain". Non-photographers often have a wildly different tastes compared to photographers, and wildly crazy colours (be it HDR or selective colouring not matter how badly done) always seem to be popular.

It's that time of year again, and the latest winners have been revealed.

http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/2015-award-winners/

What's everyone's take? I think last year's winner was a lot stronger, the one they've gone for this time around is a bit too conventional to get me that excited.

It's not always about eye candy.

I think it's beautifully subtle, and as others have pointed out, a rare and interesting shot. Compositionally it's sublime. It makes a real change from the usual "impact" shots that amateurs usually go for.

I thought Lizzie Shepard's was fantastic too, as was Ian Taylor's. Duncan McKenzie's image was a welcome change too. On a more conventional theme, I thought Billy Currie's was masterful. Tony Winfield's was brilliant too.

I though the "Countryside is GREAT" winner was truly bloody awful though.

Last edited:
I've not seen a lot of them but some nice images there. Rather like Paul Mitchells.

Personally I think Billy deserves more success but he is a pal so I am a wee bit biased. I don't know anyone in the country better at processing an image.

I really like the winning image, think most people would have been happy to get that shot and have it on their wall. :)

How's it been printed in the book? Last year, I was disappointed with the exhibition; not only was the location at Waterloo cold, noisy and uninviting, but I found the quality of the prints to be a step back. Posterization was an issue in a number of the images.

Interesting thread! As a newbie here it is great to hear a range of views expressed in such a positive way. I was initially a little cold when I saw the image in AP this week. However having taken time to read through th views here I appreciate it for more for the quiet quality and sense of place it gives the viewer.
Thanks for the enlightened debate!

Last year, I was disappointed with the exhibition; not only was the location at Waterloo cold, noisy and uninviting, but I found the quality of the prints to be a step back. .

I would agree about the location for the exhibition.

I don't think it's a 'wow' image - one that grabs you from the outset. Neither (IMO) was last year's from Mark Littlejohn - but Mark's was one that then really drew the viewer in once you adjusted to the scale of it and you realised what a stunning capture it was. This one just doesn't do it for me - it's a lovely landscape but the fact that snow there is rare, or that the photographer had to hike to get there should be totally irrelevant when it comes to judging the image.

I don't think it's a 'wow' image - one that grabs you from the outset. Neither (IMO) was last year's from Mark Littlejohn - but Mark's was one that then really drew the viewer in once you adjusted to the scale of it and you realised what a stunning capture it was. This one just doesn't do it for me - it's a lovely landscape but the fact that snow there is rare, or that the photographer had to hike to get there should be totally irrelevant when it comes to judging the image.
Maybe so, but I suppose they are looking for unusual scenes and this is as unusual as you can get down there.

Anyway, I think it's common practice for unusual shots to win the competition as it makes people talk!

Reactions: ST4
How's it been printed in the book? Last year, I was disappointed with the exhibition; not only was the location at Waterloo cold, noisy and uninviting, but I found the quality of the prints to be a step back. Posterization was an issue in a number of the images.
Oops sorry for overlooking this, the image is printed across 2 pages, so for me me loses quite a bit in the fold. This year is the first time I really noticed this, but I felt a few images were spoiled a little as a result.

As it is a public concourse the paper has to be H&S proof. Fire resistant and all that sort of thing. Does absolutely no favours to any of the prints. Far preferred the National Theatre.

Reactions: ST4
Made it to the exhibition yesterday (before heading over to WPotY at the NHM). Some very nice images (even the HDR of the Countryside is Great was less terrible as a print.) But again the location did it no favours and if anything was a step back. It seemed there was a slight reduction in the number of display boards so less photos and more printed smaller.

Made it to the exhibition yesterday (before heading over to WPotY at the NHM). Some very nice images (even the HDR of the Countryside is Great was less terrible as a print.) But again the location did it no favours and if anything was a step back. It seemed there was a slight reduction in the number of display boards so less photos and more printed smaller.

I would agree about the venue. I too visited both exhibitions before Christmas and yes, you are paying to see the WPoTY but after leaving the Natural History museum and arriving at the Landscape photographer of the year it's a very disappointing show.

Agreed, when it was at the National theatre the exhibition was better and the venue more fitting

I think the winning image is a stunning photo. It is beautiful soft light, processed perfectly and compositionally very strong. It is inherently a Great British landscape, but with an interesting twist which stops it being a happy snap.

Having said that, and I don't have my copy of the book here right now to look but my favourite image in the book was a shot of An Teallach in the highlands with windblown snow and a sunrise, breathtaking image.

Back