Take a View Landscape Photographer of the Year

My timeline on Twitter has gone a bit radio rental today, but I follow many of the people who have been chosen this year and I am so happy to see their hard work rewarded!

I have a few personal favourites, Justin's tulip shot, Finbarr Fallon's railway/battersea power station shot, Simon Anderson's Brighton Pavilion shot, Verity Milligan's double yellow line shot & Dave Fieldhouse's shot of the rainburst.

And of course, yours Jakey poos. (Even though I thought the other poppy shot was stronger).

The winning shot does absolutely nothing for me, but it's different and unique so I can't fault that.

Last edited:
I will have a good look at all the images when all the excitement has died down. What I have seen on twitter, facebook and the times have been very nice so far.
Seeing some of the comments on social media so far is slightly depressing, as some folk assume its their way or not good enough. Thank goodness photography is more than one dimensional. And while I'm on the subject congratulations to all the winners and commendations in the book as I know there are a few on this forum.

My timeline on Twitter has gone a bit radio rental today, but I follow many of the people who have been chosen this year and I am so happy to see their hard work rewarded!

I have a few personal favourites, Justin's tulip shot, Finbarr Fallon's railway/battersea power station shot, Simon Anderson's Brighton Pavilion shot, Verity Milliagan's double yellow line shot & Dave Fieldhouse's shot of the rainburst.

And of course, yours Jakey poos. (Even though I thought the other poppy shot was stronger).

The winning shot does absolutely nothing for me, but it's different and unique so I can't fault that.
Lol cheers Stu! Yes I did too, and still do - I'll stick it in OPOTY.
I will have a good look at all the images when all the excitement has died down. What I have seen on twitter, facebook and the times have been very nice so far.
Seeing some of the comments on social media so far is slightly depressing, as some folk assume its their way or not good enough. Thank goodness photography is more than one dimensional. And while I'm on the subject congratulations to all the winners and commendations in the book as I know there are a few on this forum.
Thank you Paul

It went on sale yesterday, but I know Amazon are having stocking issues. My preorder of it isn't going to be arriving until 7th - 15th November

Thanks Jake, I had a look on the take a view web site but it's not on there, is it issue 10?

Don't you think it's a bit rich having to pay for the book when you have some images included in it?.....just a thought :)

Yep. When I got a highly commended in the British life photography competition I got a free book at the awards thingeemajig in London. If you wanted more than one you had to pay though.

Yep. When I got a highly commended in the British life photography competition I got a free book at the awards thingeemajig in London. If you wanted more than one you had to pay though.
So the same as LPOTY? You get a free book if you're highly commended.

I really like the Wast Water rainbow, the Loch Stack storm and the Beachy Head lighthouse.

The overall winner is a typical arty farty image that should be in wildlife photographer of the year not landscape, sorry.

@JakeT1992 I follow you on flickr and think you deserve some recognition for your excellent landscape work. However, for me that is far from your best shot of the year and I believe they chose it because the poppies are a different colour. Out of interest is it your favourite? Don't take this as a criticism, it is an observation.

Reactions: ST4
I really like the Wast Water rainbow, the Loch Stack storm and the Beachy Head lighthouse.

The overall winner is a typical arty farty image that should be in wildlife photographer of the year not landscape, sorry.

@JakeT1992 I follow you on flickr and think you deserve some recognition for your excellent landscape work. However, for me that is far from your best shot of the year and I believe they chose it because the poppies are a different colour. Out of interest is it your favourite? Don't take this as a criticism, it is an observation.
Thanks Craig - appreciate your thoughts. I guess everyone has different views - down this way pink poppies are not unusual though. It's not my favourite image of the year, no, but it's definitely in my top 10. Of all of the images I entered into LPOTY this year (you can see them here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaketurner92/albums/72157662356062114) my favourite is this one - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaketurner92/25529486692/in/album-72157662356062114/

I haven't seen the book yet but from what I have seen it looks like a really good collection.. well done everyone!

Winners nearly always divide opinion, personally I love it.

My only gripe with the competition is that there are far fewer prints at the exhibition now it is at Waterloo than when it was in the National Theatre and that is a shame.

National Theatre was a much better venue Justin. Waterloo is useless. No space for folk to mingle and the prints have to be made on material that has to pass a number of safety hoops so never shows off any images to their best.

Regarding pink poppies; they're the opiate producing species so will probably only turn up in large numbers in the parts of the country where they being grown commercially for morphine production.

National Theatre was a much better venue Justin. Waterloo is useless. No space for folk to mingle and the prints have to be made on material that has to pass a number of safety hoops so never shows off any images to their best.

My thoughts exactly

I'm not sure about the overall winner. I like it and I think it's a good photo which shows some balls by doing something different. I'm just not sure that it's the best photo out the hundreds or thousands that were entered.

My personal favourite is Dougie Cunningham's "Shelter from the Storm". Really makes me feel like I'm there on a cold stormy day. I love the processing of it too, and have seen other photos with similar processing, although I have no idea how it's done!

Might have to pop into Waterstones when they have stock and pick up a copy.

Congratulations and well done to everyone on here that won or got commendations :)

Thanks Craig - appreciate your thoughts. I guess everyone has different views - down this way pink poppies are not unusual though. It's not my favourite image of the year, no, but it's definitely in my top 10. Of all of the images I entered into LPOTY this year (you can see them here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaketurner92/albums/72157662356062114) my favourite is this one - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaketurner92/25529486692/in/album-72157662356062114/
I see you have also started on your 2017 list. 4 and 6 are especially impressive.

My copy of the book arrived today, the standard this year seems especially high, not got through it all yet, but the Black Rain photo is one of the best photos of Skye I have seen in a long time.

I see you have also started on your 2017 list. 4 and 6 are especially impressive.

My copy of the book arrived today, the standard this year seems especially high, not got through it all yet, but the Black Rain photo is one of the best photos of Skye I have seen in a long time.
Yes, try and keep it going or I forget what I've shot and it takes forever to go through haha! Thank you - sadly I had a hard drive fail, and I lost the RAW's of those, so both will be going in Your View.

I've just finished looking through the book - seems very good this year.

Is it bad that my favourite landscape photo is the one of Grangemouth Oil Refinery.

Did some one on here take "Battersea Power Station and tracks"? Also a fantastic shot.

As lovely as it is, that is quite an old shot. Hasnt looked like that for a few years unfortunately. The new development around Battersea is going to ruin the reason it was such an iconic building - it isnt just the towers, it is the fact it stood alone on the banks of the Thames.

Some fantastic images in the competition, and a lot of the winners names I dont recognise which is a good thing.

He takes a nice photo does young Garry. Retired, bought himself a camper and took off for about 90 days........

Yes someone called Mark Littlejohn has sneaked a few in. I think this is one of the strongest collections yet, and also there are no dark hedges at all which was a surprise. I really, really like the one from Gary Smith on page 64.

I've seen mine before so they don't count...

Book turned up on Saturday (only ordered it on Friday evening... yay for Amazon Prime!)

I think that If I ever enter again that I should probably take a bit more time over my Title and Description... it's got to be the shortest one in there!!

A man of few words! Great shot though... looking forward to getting a copy

I think I might name mine after Jet Set Willy II rooms, next year. I can never think of good names, so mostly I just leave the file name as it came out of the camera :/

A man of few words! Great shot though... looking forward to getting a copy

Coming up with titles, captions and keywords is hard work, especially when ive got nothing interesting to say about the photo

A picture speaks a thousand words!

I can see how titles and descriptions are part of the 'work of art' but for me I feel if my pictures aren't good enough then no amount of describing them as good will help!

Reactions: ST4

I can see how titles and descriptions are part of the 'work of art' but for me I feel if my pictures aren't good enough then no amount of describing them as good will help!
I've never been very good at given my photos titles, so now I've given up and just name them by the location and whatever weather vaguely describes the conditions.

I would rather my photos be seen without any accompanying text etc and people be able to make up their own mind on it.

Lol, it's nothing arty, it's more about providing information. Magazines for example need a caption so people know what theyre looking at

Lol, it's nothing arty, it's more about providing information. Magazines for example need a caption so people know what theyre looking at

I understand, it is the weird titles and dramatically descriptive stuff that feels awkward to me.

I'm not very good at writing personal statements for cv's either!

Back