Take a View Landscape Photographer of the Year

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else finds the categories confusing? This is my third year of entering (commended in 2014, shortlisted last year), but every year am confused whether to enter pictures into 'Classic' or 'Your View'.

Another local photographer has said they feel the same, mainly because we live in an area that has no classic or iconic views (at least known to the wider public), so in theory everything could be categorised as 'Your View'. The descriptions seem to make little sense as they encourage the likes of misty tree/detail shots to be entered into Your View, but these types of pictures regularly make it into the 'Classic' category of the book, also classic wide style landscapes appear in 'Your View'.

Has anyone got any thoughts or advice about this or the competition in general they'd like to share?

Last edited:
After 7yrs of entering, I'll be damned if I really know.

I have always assumed Classic View to be something like Corfe Castle, Buttermere, Glencoe, those sort of classic chocolate box / cliched composition locations and Your View to be the more unknown views. However, as you say both categories have similar type of photos sometimes.

You can enter 1 shot into both categories, it does take up 2 of your submissions out of however many you buy.

Is it a classic 'type' of view without major photoshop alterations then put it into Classic View. Whenever I entered I put almost everything into Classic View.

Classic view allows for standard processing, such as contrast, sharpening, levels, curves, faux grads, dodge/burn, shadows and dust spot removal and even B&W/toning. Essentially a photograph of the subject.

Your view is about your interpretation of the view and such allows for removal of objects and possible composite images and your very dark B&W renditions you see these days.

I've yet to do mine, its not until July.

Sorry all, thought I'd replied a few days ago but obviously didn't press the 'post' button. Thanks, that definitely helps. Just think their wording could be clearer, I prefer the way OPOTY categories are done to be honest but then there isn't that £10,000 prize which I'll never win. Anyway maybe there's a better chance if you're not entering Mark...

Never say never mate - I have a couple of favourites I'd like to see in the book before hanging up my boots...

I don't suppose anyone knows the rough numbers involved for each step? Total entries down to shortlisted and the final do they?

I don't suppose anyone knows the rough numbers involved for each step? Total entries down to shortlisted and the final do they?

It's likely to be thousands at the initial stage, but not sure at all about the shortlist numbers. Seems a lot of prominent photographers have missed out this year

Just wondering about the credibility of this competition, shocked seeing the calibre of people who've missed out. I got two shortlisted but am surprised at the ones they picked, and a bit disappointed at what didn't make it. And the second round has a different judging panel so they may not like the picks from the first round. Needs a reboot in my view, should be more like OPOTY with a cash prize

Reactions: ST4
The final figure is about 150, goodness knows what the shortlist is but I think it's a lot. Maybe 20,000+ initial entries.

Nothing shortlisted for me this year :-(

The final figure is about 150, goodness knows what the shortlist is but I think it's a lot. Maybe 20,000+ initial entries.

Nothing shortlisted for me this year :-(
Nothing short listed for me either :(

I've never had any joy with it.

Sorry to hear that both. In good company though and no reason to doubt yourselves. While no one has an automatic right to appear in competition shortlists or books, you do question the competition if they've decided to eliminate some of the best photographers in the UK when their work is clearly a yardstick. Maybe their images have had too much exposure, or maybe I'm overthinking it!

I think that's slightly disrespectful to judge the competition this year without even seeing the winner pictures or the rejected ones.
I didn't enter as I don't think I'm that good, so haven't read the rules but it would be interesting to see if they have a mandate or criteria when they first review the pictures in the first place and how long they have to actually judge them time wise. I don't think your overthinking anything as everything in photography its very subjective but the results will be interesting.

Sorry to hear that both. In good company though and no reason to doubt yourselves. While no one has an automatic right to appear in competition shortlists or books, you do question the competition if they've decided to eliminate some of the best photographers in the UK when their work is clearly a yardstick. Maybe their images have had too much exposure, or maybe I'm overthinking it!

I don't. I just don't think I produce the type of images their panel likes. I particularly rate @Stu Meech work as well and am shocked he didn't make the cut.

I think that's slightly disrespectful to judge the competition this year without even seeing the winner pictures or the rejected ones.
I didn't enter as I don't think I'm that good, so haven't read the rules but it would be interesting to see if they have a mandate or criteria when they first review the pictures in the first place and how long they have to actually judge them time wise. I don't think your overthinking anything as everything in photography its very subjective but the results will be interesting.

You're right Paul. Personally I have wanted to see new names appear in magazines etc so it'll be interesting to see who comes through in the end, just surprised at some of people that haven't made the cut

You're right Paul. Personally I have wanted to see new names appear in magazines etc so it'll be interesting to see who comes through in the end, just surprised at some of people that haven't made the cut

Haha I know what you mean, plenty of chatter and disappointment on twitter.

I only entered a couple of days before the closing date after reading this thread! To tell you the truth, I thought I was entering the OPOTY competition!

Still, chuffed to have got through at my first attempt. Never really thought about entering something that you have to pay to enter ,as that seems a little odd to me.. oh well....

From what I read today, 2 people do the initial cull, get about 5 secs a shot over two days. Looks like I over estimated yesterday, shortlist around 500.

Exactly, no one can ever enter thinking they will be chosen. You can hope to be chosen, but that's a very different thing.

It's a little disappointing, naturally as I wouldn't enter otherwise, but it just motivates me to get better photos and work harder for next year.

I don't. I just don't think I produce the type of images their panel likes. I particularly rate @Stu Meech work as well and am shocked he didn't make the cut.
Thanks Steve. You always say the nicest things about me! Lol.

Last edited:
From what I read today, 2 people do the initial cull, get about 5 secs a shot over two days. Looks like I over estimated yesterday, shortlist around 500.

Cheers Stu, sadly very disappointing that you spend a lot of time to research a location, check the weather and get to the location in time (not forgetting all the wasted hours when everything doesn't work out) and then have a 5 second window to proof if its an acceptable picture to continue... Hahaha that's life :crying::crying:

Oh well, OPOTY is coming up so rejects can be tried there! Last year's book was immense and the competition seems to be run better than LPOTY, just a shame the prize is a scary dog ride across the Arctic lol

Anyway just take pictures for you and it's a bonus if they get picked in a competition. I think I'll print a few rejects and give them a new lease of life on the wall!

I've had no news from LPOTY yet. is that good or bad?

Not good Im afraid.

It is surprising to see some excellent photographers not make it to the shortlist but I guess that when a lot of the country's finest landscape photographers are entering their best work and there's only room for a small percentage of entries on the shortlist then an awful lot of stunning photographs are going to miss out. (I'm not sure of the figures as they don't reveal the number of entries but I'd guestimate only around 1% of initial entries get into the book).

Not good Im afraid.

It is surprising to see some excellent photographers not make it to the shortlist but I guess that when a lot of the country's finest landscape photographers are entering their best work and there's only room for a small percentage of entries on the shortlist then an awful lot of stunning photographs are going to miss out. (I'm not sure of the figures as they don't reveal the number of entries but I'd guestimate only around 1% of initial entries get into the book).

Managed to get just one in this year..fingers crossed :)

Managed to get just one in this year..fingers crossed :)
Good luck!

It is amazing how many people get in the right place at the right time. Last years Countryside is Great winner for example seemed to get in the right place to take the photo exactly as the nuclear bomb went off under the bridge. That takes real dedication I think.

Good luck!

It is amazing how many people get in the right place at the right time. Last years Countryside is Great winner for example seemed to get in the right place to take the photo exactly as the nuclear bomb went off under the bridge. That takes real dedication I think.
Oh yes that one of the bridge at Llanrwst. I pass that bridge a number of times per week and have a few that look similar....as do 100's of others . Luck of the draw I guess ??

Oh yes that one of the bridge at Llanrwst. I pass that bridge a number of times per week and have a few that look similar....as do 100's of others . Luck of the draw I guess ??
I though that a lot of the ones selected in that year were excellent but this was a strange selection as a winner. I thought it sort it looked like a bad HDR, but maybe the print looked good.

Good luck!

I though that a lot of the ones selected in that year were excellent but this was a strange selection as a winner. I thought it sort it looked like a bad HDR, but maybe the print looked good.

I know it got a negative reaction from photographers but can imagine it working well for that campaign. I was generally disappointed in last year's book though, I don't think it quite had the quality of volumes 7 and 8 but that's quite subjective

i gave up entering and buying it a couple of years ago when they had multiple images from the same person simply looking down onto the floor of a slush ridden carpark and one of just the roofs of several telephone boxes, i just felt they took the **** a little too much that year so gave up on it. I think its a total bunfight to get through round 1 and then you end up with a bookfull , year on year, of similar images.

If you want to up your chances, taking the same shot of that road in ireland with the trees overhanging it, seems to get in every single year has to be the way to go.

i gave up entering and buying it a couple of years ago when they had multiple images from the same person simply looking down onto the floor of a slush ridden carpark and one of just the roofs of several telephone boxes, i just felt they took the **** a little too much that year so gave up on it. I think its a total bunfight to get through round 1 and then you end up with a bookfull , year on year, of similar images.

If you want to up your chances, taking the same shot of that road in ireland with the trees overhanging it, seems to get in every single year has to be the way to go.

Agree. What's disappointing is Charlie Waite did a series of local radio interviews last year telling everyone to photograph their local area (and make him some money by entering the competition), then when the book comes out it's always packed full of the national parks

I just got the "you're crap, never darken our door again" email from them. Oh well - I actually thought I might make it with one of these:

I00006ZC91ggya94.jpg

I00007myUsgZOta0.jpg

I0000wrO7S78Nv40.jpg

Will have a go at Scottish LPOTY instead...

I'm going to start my own competition for people who got rejected from LPOTY

Actually - I just started a Facebook group for rejected LPOTY images. Feel free to join and post a couple of your best that were binned, and recommend to others to do the same. Lets make a bigger, better book!

The group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/643608575803787/

EDIT: In retrospect this is a silly idea as I'd have to end up rejecting rejected images so I've deleted the FB group.

Last edited:
I also got the standard "take your pictures elsewhere" email! I'm no expert but I also think some of the pics that are posted in our forums are great and should make it in!! Oh well on to the next comp!!

I'm going to start my own competition for people who got rejected from LPOTY

There is a FLICKR group for rejected photos. Its going to be very interesting to see what the commended and winning photos will be.

Back