Takes on a Cake (June challenge)

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
So here it is, takes on a cake, see these threads for more details and previous months.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-takes-on-challenge.621605/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/takes-on-scissors-april-challenge.621926/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/takes-on-a-cyclist-may-challenge.623831/

Just a heads up for @susiejb @Sejanus Aelianus @pjm1 @Downton Mini @Gremlin @d00d @posiview @FishyFish @badlywornroy @Wayne Els @Nostromo @TheBigYin @gazmather1973 @Jon.P.73 who took part in previous months.

And here's one to kick things off
Cake1 by TheWub, on Flickr

Tip - don't try to photograph a cake in a shiny tray in a hurry!

My Daughter made this for her 5 year olds birthday.

It didn't just look good. . . nom nom
i-SkvDHdb-Ti.jpg

Frozen

i-rM7CqLV.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Susie, it took my daughter many hours to 'construct' this, it took the little ones not much time to 'storm the gates' and demolish it.

Does this mean I have to bake a cake :(, I might when I can get back on my feet but it won't be as good as Roy's daughter made, that is rather good.
I also have another idea if I can sort it ;)

clear.png
Does this mean I have to buy Jaffa Cakes?

So I did ... a half priced triple pack from Tescos this morning. :woot:

:jaffa:

Ok so I baked the cake just for you and the challenge @sirch

One delicious coffee and walnut sponge

27457473145_9f2c751d2f_b.jpg

Which of course had to tried ;)

26848263714_15af229168_b.jpg

Just for a bit of variety, a phone pic :LOL:

27457472615_ddfdb88e1b_b.jpg

I may bore you with a few more yet :whistle:

well, I know it's "called" Banana Bread, but it sure as hell ate like a slice of cake...)
That looks right up my street. :)

Gaz

We are vegan here so will give this a try. Not sure on the chia seed thing working but will try and see.

Thanks for this.
:)

Last edited:
@badlywornroy that is an impressive looking cake, we always tried making cakes when the kids were younger but nothing as good as that.

@Gremlin - looks yummy and I like the glass cake stand and doily, nice to do these things properly.

@TheBigYin - may be it's the cake making the photo look good but I like the details, the shine on the raisins really makes them look tasty.

That worked out well we celebrated my grandsons 4th birthday party today with a barbecue in the woods ....... daughter in law made this one

Far too many artistic cake makers on here, I'll hang my head in shame :oops: :$ that looks great (y)
The coffee /walnut cake has been donated to a neighbour, I'd never eat it

That's cheating ....a freshly baked cake please :D

Now I've got a pack of 36 Jaffas. :runaway:

:jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:
:jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:

I'll think of something.

Happy Birthday Archie, lucky chap to have a cake like that. :cool:

Last edited:
Now I've got a pack of 36 Jaffas.

my daughter made some jaffa cakes at school, something I had never even thought of doing at home and they were yum, yum, yum. Sponge cake with orange curd, covered in chocolate and a lot bigger than the ones you buy
:jaffa::jaffa::jaffa:

Ok so I baked the cake just for you and the challenge @sirch

One delicious coffee and walnut sponge

27457473145_9f2c751d2f_b.jpg

Which of course had to tried ;)

26848263714_15af229168_b.jpg

Just for a bit of variety, a phone pic :LOL:

27457472615_ddfdb88e1b_b.jpg

I may bore you with a few more yet :whistle:
I thought I was hungry with the walnut cake but looking at this lot I know I'm starving and I've only got digestive biscuits in my kitchen,

I thought I was hungry with the walnut cake but looking at this lot I know I'm starving and I've only got digestive biscuits in my kitchen,

Sorry :(;)

Saw that display at a local nursery, couldn't resist but only had my phone
:)

Last edited:
PABD Jaffa Cake pictures coming up.

Watch this space.

Chocolate on a hot day is probably not the best of ideas.
I love jaffa cakes and think I could quite easily eat all of yours in one sitting.

View attachment 66769 Do these count as cakes
I don't think anyone is going to argue as long as you have enough for everyone :)

The photo is spot on I think, oozing with cream and jam details. very good.

Shouldn't you put the cream on first though :exit:

I can't justify messing around indoors when the weathers so nice

I know what you mean, I was thinking that we might want to sort the indoors themes from the outdoors and run more outdoors during what we laughingly refer to as summer. Another option would be to pick 12 for the year, set up a thread for each and post whenever though out the year. Also I am wondering about our list of themes, cycling was popular, scissors not-so, may be we need to go for "bigger" themes such as cakes and cycling rather than more narrowly defined subjects?

I think indoor/outdoor themes is a good idea.
Wouldn't 12 for the year in 12 separate threads dilute the idea (if you know what i mean).

I think indoor/outdoor themes is a good idea.
Wouldn't 12 for the year in 12 separate threads dilute the idea (if you know what i mean).
I do know what you mean and I tend to agree but it's kind of hard to see how to get the indoor/outdoor balance right.

I definitely wouldn't start more threads .....I think the freshness of the subject each month is what's challenging. I suppose broader topics may get more interest, but it's early days, I'd tend to let it run as it is for six months, and then decide.
Probably sensible.

Hi Chris I like the second one best, it looks much nicer with that extra light on it, it looks yummy.
Thanks Susie, I agree about the light but I liked the clearer edge between the top and the front in the first, I guess I need to get more practice with lighting which is one of my aims with doing these challenges.

Susie ... like the red & white indulgence filling the frame like that.

Chris ... second shot's brill. Half a round cake diagonally in a square tin, nice & bright with reflection too.

Back