Taking a canon 3000v + 70-200F4L to New York

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have not used my film slr since i bought it as about a week later i got a Canon 450d. Due to financial constraints i have sold the 450d temporarily and as i'm going to New York on Saturday i will be taking my 3000v with me. What film should i get from the high street and will this camera be capable of producing nice shots with the lens. What i really mean is would this lens be too high end for this camera?

I can't see why that's a problem mate, although you may want to take a wider lens with you too. The film bodies have an advantage in that they are of course not limited by the resolving power of a sensor, rather the higher resolving power of film, so your 70-200 should give better results on 35mm film than on the 450D.

The film bodies have differences between them of course; better metering, FPS, AF performance for example, but I'm sure you'll get some great shots with that lens/body.

What are you planning on shooting and what time of day? Will you have a tripod/some sort of support with you? This may influence what type of film/ISO people recommend.

Hi Ben,

I will be mainly shooting portrait type photos of my wife. I won't be taking a tripod or anything just the camera/lens and bag. I wasn't sure if a cheap film SLR would do justice to this lens but hopefully you're right and it does. Any ideas which film i should buy? I haven't a clue whether to go for colour or black and white or a combination of both. I would imagine it will be quite dull so not sure if film speeds are all important or settings in the camera. I know in digital you can bump up the iso but is this done with the actual film with film cameras?

Your choice of ISO will of course dictate your choice of shutter speed and aperture. You'll still be considering the 1/focal length equation to get sharp, shake free shots, ie 1/70 to 1/200 shutter speeds but since you're considering mostly portraiture type shots you may well be using a largish aperture so you should have some flexibility with shutter speed.

You can push/pull film [change the ISO up or down from its rated speed] but you obviously can't do it on a shot by shot basis as the entire roll has to be processed the same way, so it make sense to take film of the right speed to start with.

I'd have thought you might get away with ISO 100 film, if I've got my guess right, the "sunny 16" rule suggests that you could shoot at f/4 1/400 in bright sunshine or f/4 1/200 for overcast conditions which should be fine.

Colour vs B&W, that's up to you!

I generally prefer Fuji films, and as you state you'll mainly be going for portraiture would head towards their pro160s and pro400h print films. If you wanted slides then Fuji's Astia or Provia would do the trick, Velvia is a bit wild for portraits however.

I would chose the ISO of the film by looking back at the sort of shot you're hoping to get in NY and seeing what ISO you used on your DSLR. IMO, 200 or even 400 may be the way to go since it's not going to be that bright there. I would go with a colour film - it's a heck of a lot easier to convert colour to B&W than it is to get colour into a B&W shot.

Don't worry about the lens being too good for the body, all a film body does is hold the lens and film the right distance apart, unlike a DSLR which also has to do everything that the film does.

Back