Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter drove the tractor
had the chance to find the eggs
Fed the 2 lambs

I thought child labour had been abolished with the Victorian age :shrug:

OK seriously, I really don't see a problem either with young children that is.
Obviously, if the are studying for exams, then its a big :nono:

TBH this wasn't even an issue when my two were at school,
It wasn't encouraged obviously,
but it wasn't the issue it seems to be these days either.

I guess times move on and rules change for better or worse.
Would I do it now?
Probably, if the need arose.

think about it Joe, it really doesn't..

I'm out of this thread I think, when the trying to justify clutching at straws babble appears the discussion is dead IMO.

:wave:

Thanks for your contribution (y)

I'll add some more to the list of advantages tomorrow :)

Last edited:
All kinds of things depending on the holiday.

In our example of our farm holiday both my kids had more opportunity to get involved with the farm due to it being quiet. My daughter drove the tractor with the farmer, had the chance to find the eggs herself because there were only a couple of other children around. Fed the 2 lambs and got more turns at it

The list goes on and on.

Then he was breaking the law Joe allowing a child of that age to ride on it.

I thought child labour had been abolished with the Victorian age :shrug:

OK seriously, I really don't see a problem either with young children that is.
Obviously, if the are studying for exams, then its a big :nono:

TBH this wasn't even an issue when my two were at school,
It wasn't encouraged obviously,
but it wasn't the issue it seems to be these days either.

I guess times move on and rules change for better or worse.
Would I do it now?
Probably, if the need arose.

You mean to say you got offspring :puke:

Can't see any harm being done by taking them out for a holiday. Wouldn't have a problem ignoring the fine either.

Can't see any harm being done by taking them out for a holiday. Wouldn't have a problem ignoring the fine either.

So, what if every parent decides to take their children out of school, because the parents always know best?
Teachers turn up at school on Monday morning to find no children, because they are all on holiday, so who do they fine?
I presume that the "righteous parents" all know what is best for their children, and will thus be ignored, whilst the "chavvy parents" will all be served with a notice of a fine (or whatever happens), because they are incapable of knowing what is best for their children.
This is just another "glowing" example of what is wrong with society, where so many people (mainly without qualifications), think that they know what is best regarding their chidren's education, and worse still, that they think that they should be excluded from the rules which everyone else has to abide by.

"because the parents always know best" - they damn well should do! We pay taxes, out of which a proportion goes to provide "state" education - we have little say over what that constitutes - certainly the results overall these days are frankly pathetic (I mentioned kids with degrees who were in need of basic literacy training).
The idea of some bally teachers' training college buffoon who's never been outside "education" fining someone reeks of the very worst sort of state control and "jobsworths" - in short "how dare they?"
Education should be a wide learning experience, sadly the present system is only intent on providing "industry fodder", so a holiday with the kid's parents is probably going to do them far more good..........we can if we choose "home educate", or send them to an independent school, sadly these days it seems probably the only options for a good rounded education....

Last edited:
So, what if every parent decides to take their children out of school, because the parents always know best?
Teachers turn up at school on Monday morning to find no children, because they are all on holiday, so who do they fine?
I presume that the "righteous parents" all know what is best for their children, and will thus be ignored, whilst the "chavvy parents" will all be served with a notice of a fine (or whatever happens), because they are incapable of knowing what is best for their children.
This is just another "glowing" example of what is wrong with society, where so many people (mainly without qualifications), think that they know what is best regarding their chidren's education, and worse still, that they think that they should be excluded from the rules which everyone else has to abide by.

A teacher who made such bold claims would be foolish. As for the fines, half go unpaid, so it seems to be a bit of a waste of time.

We (me, my brother and sister) would routinely go away on holiday during term time throughout primary school. I think we usually went away for about three weeks in Summer, that would have a large overlap with term time either before or after the school break.

There's a lot more to life than what passes for education in school. Besides, the amount of time spent sat around doing absolutely nothing of any value during class time is ridiculous.

Anyway, for what it's worth, we all finished among the top few students come exam time. In fact I think my sister was the top student in the school at her GCSEs. :shrug:

And your point being?

Rich

You seem adamant you want to disrupt this thread. You've already had two disruptive posts removed please now just allow us to continue the discussion.

If you have something relevant to add I would welcome your opinions. If not then I'd ask you politely refrain from derailing the thread further

Thanks

Joe

Whatever you decide to with taking your kids out of school or not is down to you and your partner to decide.

You can iterate a variety of reasons for doing so and is unlikely to damage your kids early education. I get the clear impression that you are engaged fully with your children so you are educating them every day. From my expperience if that is so, then you are doing something that many parents utterly fail to do. (Results can be seen on ITV at 09:25 every weekday morning).

The bigger issue is that it is a legal requirement for children to receive an education that conforms to the National Curriculum. That can be at a "school" or indeed at home. In the case of a school it is a requirement to abide by the strictures of the "School Year" which is calendared to include the 3 main holidays, mid (half) term breaks, inset days and Public (bank) holidays.

As this is a legal requirement it is worth accepting that choosing to ignore (reject) that requirement does damage the person's moral high ground when demanding a dictact on others breaking laws or rules. Whether you like it or not, we as a society are structured and strictured bythose rules.

For me personally I think we force children into schooling at too early an age. I would start formal curriculum based education at 7 years of age. Until then less formal part time periods of developing fun parcels of education attracts me as a way of letting kids learn their societal skills - play, talk, more developed discovery (rockpool investigation, and No categorising "top of the class" but sport and physical development. So by the time they go to zchool proper a focus on the main 3Rs and science has a different context based on fun experience till that time.

Will it happen? No - because we are all trapped in keeping up with paying our bills..... so work must come first.

To summarise - am I anti your plans? - on a rules based platform level then Yes but on a personal level NO. These early years are too special when spending good time with your kids at a formative time that rush by all too quick. As for going on holiday and wasting time with the kids by sticking them in playrooms instead of discovery and spending as much time as possible with them then that would be a shame.

For balance you can have that type of holiday during the formal school holidays.

Bottom line and in respect that you know the risks as you clearly knew about the penalties is simple - do what you and your partner think best and agree on it. In the case of a decision tree for the 2 of you - this is mine

Yes - Yes = Yes

Yes - No = No

No - Yes = No

Steve

Last edited:

That would never happen because the children wouldn't all go on holiday on the same day. It would be spread all over the year with a large majority still opting for the summer anyway due to the weather

We took our 11 year old son (last year of primary school) out of school for an 8 (2 weeks of which was school vacation) week around the world vacation. Some of it we geared up for him (beside disneyland etc) , like;
Riding bikes along the Rhine and sleeping in Castles in Germay,
Hiking in the Swiss alps,
Visting Edinbourough castle and Culloden moor in Scotland,
Walking along Hadrians Wall, Beamish open air museum, Whitby, York, North Wales and London in England,
Finished with a 19 day (intensive) bus tour from London to Athens.

We asked asked his teacher, a couple of weeks after arriving back home, "how was he going?" and she replied "he is so far ahead of the rest of the children it isn't funny".
He was dux of the school that year.

Last edited:

I resent being called 'chavvy' by someone who knows little of my personal situation,I also think I actually do know what is best for my daughter in my own case. I will be taking daughter out of school for what was the last 3 days of the summer term ( I use the word 'was' because it is now down to 2 days as the last day is now an inset day). If you can convince me that taking my daughter to Yellowstone national park will be less educational than playing games and watching school plays, I will be very interested in your opinion.

That would never happen because the children wouldn't all go on holiday on the same day. It would be spread all over the year...

That already happens anyway. Most children have at least a week off ill per year (as I have already mentioned) so almost all of them have some catching up to do at some time.

The schools don't tell you that your kids can't be ill or threaten to fine them if they are!

Steve.

I resent being called 'chavvy' by someone who knows little of my personal situation,I also think I actually do know what is best for my daughter in my own case. I will be taking daughter out of school for what was the last 3 days of the summer term ( I use the word 'was' because it is now down to 2 days as the last day is now an inset day). If you can convince me that taking my daughter to Yellowstone national park will be less educational than playing games and watching school plays, I will be very interested in your opinion.

You have decided to place yourself in that category (Chavvy v righteous) by ignoring the other option available, therefore I think that you would be best advised leaving teachers to explain the concept of multiple choice to your children.;)

You are also an excellent example of someone who thinks that they know best all the time, and by using that flawed logic, you are clearly sticking two fingers up at authority.

The really sad thing about this attitude, is that very often the children are perfectly aware of what is happening, and then "ape" this behaviour at school and then in adult life.

If you are really convinced that you can do a better job educating your children, then notify the local authorities of your intentions. If you don't wish to educate them, then play by the rules which apply to everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back