Taking gig footage

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Later this month I'm going to help a friend out who it playing a small gig, I'll mainly be getting some footage of him playing and way wondering if anyone has any tips on getting decent footage.

It will be outdoors in a white marque so if the weathers good then there should be plenty of light although there should be floods lights available on the day too.

I don't really have budget to get more gear at the moment but I do have:
- Canon 650d
- Tamron 17-50 f2.8 ( Which i plan to use mainly )
- EF 50mm f1.8 , EFS 55-150 , EFS 18-55 IS
- 2 tripods ( A cheap velbon & a ball-head manfrotto )
- A small video light
- Nissin di622 flash
- Battery grip & 3 batteries

My initial thought was to get some shots of whole songs with a tripod from a vantage point ( which would have no camera movement ). Then get some filler shots of bits of the day, setting up , crowd etc to slot in as filler.

The audio will be recorded separately so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any tips for the day on settings / angles / footage ideas would be welcome. I have done a little video with my dslr but iv'e mainly focused on stills in the past.

Thanks

Adam

You could do with two people to be honest, or at least 2 cameras. Where abouts is the concert based if its localish I may be able to help if you wanted.

It's near dove dale, it's a pretty small event, I do have a canon compact camera that can do video but would be no patch on my 650d. I don't need to get footage of the whole event just a couple full songs and some clips to make it interesting. My friend wants it editing in a short promo vid.
I figured I could maybe move between songs to get some other angles although I'm not sure how viable that will be on the day.

Hmm yeah it may be hard syncing up some of the shots from other songs to the couple of songs which will be recorded but it should be doable. If I was you I'd use the compact camera to have a wide shot of them and use your 650D to get close ups that way you can sync it all and when your choosing a new shot on your 650D you can just go back to the wide shot.

Thanks for the replies,

Since I have a 2nd tripod perhaps the compact would be useful, if it's well lit the image quality should be acceptable and would at least give me a 2nd angle to pay with. I don't think gaps in the footage will be the end of the world as long as the key songs are captured in full, I'll perhaps use the 650d to get a good view for full songs on the key pieces and keep the compact going for as long as possible trying to get some nice angles on the 650d during the less important shots, I figured crowd shots etc won't matter what song is playing since I won't be using the cameras audio.

I did exactly what you are looking to do a few months back :) if you look in this part of the forum you'll see my thread a few month back called 'my latest music video'. I did this with one camera. Got to the venue half hour earlier and recorded the vocals and a a quick take of the guitarist and drummer. Then when the gig was playing just ran around recording whatever I could. Half the video, the band is not playing the song that you can hear, but I've managed to make it look like they are (I think haha). It's hard work, a lot harder than a normal music video, but it's worth it in the end. Lots of people asked me how I many cameramen I had, and they were shocked when I told them it was only me :)

Best of luck with the shoot, looking forward to seeing the results :)

I did exactly what you are looking to do a few months back :) if you look in this part of the forum you'll see my thread a few month back called 'my latest music video'. I did this with one camera. Got to the venue half hour earlier and recorded the vocals and a a quick take of the guitarist and drummer. Then when the gig was playing just ran around recording whatever I could. Half the video, the band is not playing the song that you can hear, but I've managed to make it look like they are (I think haha). It's hard work, a lot harder than a normal music video, but it's worth it in the end. Lots of people asked me how I many cameramen I had, and they were shocked when I told them it was only me :)

Best of luck with the shoot, looking forward to seeing the results :)

That's a nice Video, what I'd filming will be a one man band style gig so hopefully a bit easier to get some varied shots. I'll probably to taking a lot of shots from my tripod & hopefully be able to move around a bit between shots, I'm likely to be helping set-up the day before so I'm thinking the best plan will be to get as many staged shots as possible before the event and focus on random shots & filler on the day. I like the variety of shots in your vid, keeps it nice and interesting. I suppose keeping the vid to a couple songs but using footage from all the songs should work well for everything except singing.

Back