Taking Website Shots for a Personal Trainer. Any Tips?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm going to be taking some "staged" photographs for a gym personal trainer's website soon.

I don't do this kind of photography usually but I'm getting some free PT sessions in return! :)

Anyway does anyone have any tips to share please? Most will be inside the gym (relatively low light) and with two people. I'll likely be shooting with a Canon 80d and a decent kit lens, unless I need some other equipment based on the responses from this thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

Hi James, Well I did a similare shoot way back in 2019 - a company that promotes trampolines bouncy castles that sort of thing, all shot indoors too (Gym)

Low light can be an issue - therefore a fast prime for me was a must - Sony 85mm f1.4 GM and a fast telephoto Sony 70-200mm f2.8 were what I used for action and staic shots and a high pwered flash gun too Godox V860 Mk2 - in fact I recall using 2 x Flash guns at some point with a trigger mounted to the camer body and flashes positioned accordingly

I don't know if your "Kit Lens" will cut the mustard to be blunt - you could invest in a relatibvley cheap 50mm f1.8 will give you enough light I would think,

Good luck

Les :)

Kit lens should be fine if you have the correct lighting a mate of mine shoots a lot of fitness stuff he uses a Canon 24-105 f/4 but uses 4 x Godox AD600 along with AD200's for hair lights etc.

I guess it doesn't matter too much if the personal trainers expectations are low as you would expect them to be, as he is getting the photos for nothing. Realistically you aren't going to be able to get proper pro results, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Images for a website need to be low res anyway for site speed, which can hide a lot of issues.

Just to give you an idea my mate who pretty much only shoots this sort of stuff has a starting price of 2.5k for a job like this.

Last edited:
Hi, have you thought about what the website will look like, software, templates ...

You could start by googling: gym personal trainer's website

and another thought: if you don't "do" lighting, use a tripod ... "staged" photographs, long exposures.

I agree with d00d about looking for examples first. Ask the client, too, he may have some ideas or pictures he'd like to recreate. Proper lightning is important, it makes people look more ripped (or vice versa!). Photodiva can help here, too, bigger muscles and a firm jawline could come out of nowhere if necessary :D

Think I might go on a Practise run 1st and check the results!!

Great idea- made see what the natural availble light is like - Forget Photodiva and the like - you are there to do Photography NOT image manipluation

Practise run is the way to go 100%

Let us know how you get on fella

Les :)

Thanks so much for your responses everyone. Some really great advice here.

I think the guy will be okay with doing a practice run first, so I'll put that to him and ask if he's got an idea as to how he wants the photographs to look.

Whatever happens it will be good experience for me, but I'm sure I can get him some good shots!

All the best

James

If this was my gig, I’d expect to be shooting the PT along with an attractive ‘customer’ or 2 (depending on target market).

The fitness of the customer being much more important than what the PT looks like. We don’t buy special K because it looks attractive in the bowl, we buy it because of the beautiful healthy people eating it on the advert.

If there’s no great natural light in the gym I’d be thinking flash, because cheap interior lighting doesn’t lend itself to the shutter speeds required to shoot people moving.

Back