Taking Your Own House Sale Pictures

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
We've a bod coming to do a valuation today. I'd much prefer to take my own pictures of the house than let him loose with direct flash P&S nastiness. Has anyone else done this?

Bear in mind that there are rules on the "representativeness" of the photographs used for the sales materials. Work with the agent if you go this route. Lens choice and processing options may be limited by the requirement not to mislead, i.e. no making the rooms appear larger than they are.

I did ours about 4 years ago. Agents were more than happy. Rules might have changed since then, however.

Alastair said:
Bear in mind that there are rules on the "representativeness" of the photographs used for the sales materials. Work with the agent if you go this route. Lens choice and processing options may be limited by the requirement not to mislead, i.e. no making the rooms appear larger than they are.

My only intention is to show the house accurately in decent light. We do not have the time to mislead anyone.

My house is currently up for sale. I gave them pictures (even an HDR of outside) but they wanted to do their own.
I notice that all their property adverts all have a certain corporate style about them.

I did meet a guy from Norway on a workshop whose job it was to take photos for Estate Agents and he was making very good money - perhaps the UK will go the same in years to come?

The Property Misdescriptions Act is only really interested in people trying to obscure the obvious in order to mislead a potential buyer; i.e. taking a picture of the house at an angle that doesn't show the 100ft pylon nestling in the back garden or the power station quarter of a mile away. Most agents will be happy to accomodate you and advise on the format and size of file they want, and what you can and can't do. Saying that, the pictures are only a 'taster' used to get someone around to the house.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I did mine. No probs at all.

There's a bit of LA guidance interpreting the legislation here, the relevant bit being:

"Photographs:
A photograph can be misleading. Do not doctor photos or use extreme
lenses. If you take a photo of the view from a bedroom window, but
cannot include the rubbish dump, don't say 'panoramic views' or
'unspoilt countryside'."

The biggest advantage you have over the estate agent is time, you can take your time to photograph each room at the best time of day for the light, and wait for the right weather.

I simply want to avoid poor composition and terrible direct flash. Shooting myself I can make rooms look inviting with some nice ocf work.

I did mine, the agent's ones really didn't sell the house very well. Also, allowed me to choose a bright sunny day to get the pictures rather than an overcast one.

What I did was take the photos I thought would show the property to its best advantage and put them all on DVD for the agent. The agent decided that the quality was better than his little point/shoot compact for reproduction anyway, so I let him make the decision as to which he would use. Absolutely no problem at all with this and in fact he used most of mine.

So my advise is take as many photos as you want and let the agent decide.

Realspeed

Last edited:
You can get away with ignoring minor matters that wouldn't influence a potential buyer.

Such as this. Hard to understand why the agent got into trouble :D

You can get away with ignoring minor matters that wouldn't influence a potential buyer.

Such as this. Hard to understand why the agent got into trouble :D

This one is currently for sale....

"an impressive bespoke modern villa sitting surrounded by countryside"

8ca8bb125066f637277ea4953c2d314669dcf330_354_255.jpg

Seems rather odd to crop the shot so closes to the side of the house then, unless this being immediately to the left has anything to do with it :LOL:

Screenshot2011-08-08at163227.png

I've done some of my own before, and they were happy for me to use my canon 10-22 as that's what they use!

Back