Talk me out of buying a Nikon DF

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m not a hard core tog, but I want to make the jump to full frame and I love the Nikon DF even though it’s quite an old camera and has plenty of detractors for its lack of features in certain areas. I’m just so in love with the retro feel and I can live with its flaws.

Am I crazy for thinking of spending £1700 on a seven year old camera?

I’m just so in love with the retro feel and I can live with its flaws.

Sounds like an emotional decision to me.

Most of those sorts of decisions are crazy. Ask my wife.

Actually looking at one myself today. Wonderful image quality. But I’ve decided to stick with mirrorless. No going back to DSLR.

If you want retro looking and dials scratch the itch with an Olympus EM camera.

Not much money and a bloody good camera.

I’m not a hard core tog, but I want to make the jump to full frame and I love the Nikon DF even though it’s quite an old camera and has plenty of detractors for its lack of features in certain areas. I’m just so in love with the retro feel and I can live with its flaws.

For a camera that rarity, age and performance I'd had said £1000 was fair, but otherwise you're paying for the retro design, and that's a lot for a few extra dials. I've fancied a Df myself, but not at the price.

1700 for a DF, yes that is crazy.

there is one on ebay with 155K shutter count for £789 delivered after you include the PURCHASE15 code.

You're not crazy for wanting one - whether you'd be crazy for buying one depends on your financial situation. And by the sounds of it you would be crazy for spending above the odds. Find a decent used one at a reasonable price and go for it.

1700 for a DF, yes that is crazy.

there is one on ebay with 155K shutter count for £789 delivered after you include the PURCHASE15 code.

It’s listed as new, would obviously do all the required checks. I know second hand ones are cheaper

Looks like mpb have a reasonable condition one at £1,119, so maybe worth a punt?

Had a play with one a few years ago and found it heavy, clunky, bulky and not nice to handle. I do like the idea of having dials for the major controls (SS, ISO, Modes etc.) but find the implementation on Fujis far better than the Df.

16mp... A bit low for today. You can live with it but now minimum seems to be 20+ considering the money you are willing to spend... As above I would be looking to pay for one something under 1k

3Q46W8x.jpg

bZXmm3H.jpg

You could spend about the same money on a D850 and have arguably Nikon's best ever SLR...

You could spend about the same money on a D850 and have arguably Nikon's best ever SLR...
The D850 (to me) seems a step too far for my ability, I doubt I’d get the full benefit of a professional camera. Again to me, the DF is less scary if that makes sense?

The D850 (to me) seems a step too far for my ability, I doubt I’d get the full benefit of a professional camera. Again to me, the DF is less scary if that makes sense?

It all comes down to the lenses but If you are looking at FF then the D850 is supremely capable - its not just good, its amazing. I'd seriously suggest trying both.

The counterargument would be that you already have a D7000, which is actually more similar to the D850 than it is to the Df. All Nikons since the F5 have a pretty consistent interface. The Df looks back to an earlier era, and would take a bit more getting used to. I'm probably less taken by the Df because my first Nikon was an F100; if I'd had an F3 or something I might be more enthusiastic. On the other hand, the Df absolutely rules when it comes to compatibility - most Nikon lenses from the last 60 years will work, even the early pre-AI glass that won't mount on something like the D850 without damaging it. If that's something you want to explore, you may have your justification. But you have to weigh this against the obvious advantages of the D850, like a sensor that will give you huge latitude for cropping, and a high enough framerate for fast action.

If you do go for the Df, clearly the black one is cooler. Sorry, Raymond. :)

The late Roger Hicks was never a fan of digital but seemed to love his DF, try a google search. £1,700 does seem very over priced, perhaps wait until others become available.

Reminds of my thing fir the Kodak DCS SLRs. I’ve got a few.. in both the Nikon and Canon flavors. Love them so much!

Don't laugh, I'm serious :D

Rather than a Nikon DF buy a used first generation Sony A7, a cheap adapter and a selection of cheap film era primes.

I'd suggest 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and perhaps a 135mm f3.5. All these are cheap especially if you can find some 3rd partly lenses. 24, 35 and 85mm lenses tend to be more expensive than those first three but if you're feeling flush and want to spend an extra bit on each or find a bargain all well and good :D

You'll have loads of fun for a fraction of the price.

The counterargument would be that you already have a D7000, which is actually more similar to the D850 than it is to the Df. All Nikons since the F5 have a pretty consistent interface. The Df looks back to an earlier era, and would take a bit more getting used to. I'm probably less taken by the Df because my first Nikon was an F100; if I'd had an F3 or something I might be more enthusiastic. :)

The Df is not a 'less complicated' or not-professional camera, rather it's one that harks back in appearance to the FA, and with fewer built in features to help you take great pictures than a more recent design. As Phil V is fond of pointing out, there's no such thing as a camera designed to help a beginner, and entry level cameras are often more difficult to use than a full 'professional' model with better controls and information for the user.

But if you WANT to scratch that itch then go ahead - just don't get robbed blind.

Retune makes a good point. And not 'arguable Nikon's best SLR' - according to many, THE best DSLR ever made. I've never used one so I can't comment :)

Back