Talk Photography Film Awards 2020

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Just. For. Fun. Don't care if it's new to you or something you've used for years. Interpret it how you like.

Hope y'all have a cool yule etc etc.

1. Film of the year (emulsion or cinematic)
2. Camera of the year (film or phone)
3. Developer of the year (person or chemical)
4. "Most inspirational photograph or photographer on TP" of the year (link to post plz, no reposting... if you can be bothered)
5. Most useful piece of advice of the year. (photogrraphy rated or not)
6. Next Year's Plan (NEW!! - thanks @Peter B )

For me.....

1. HP5 Plus. I picked up a bulk roll of this and have spent pretty much all year playing with different developers and different speeds. I used to think this was boring, bland and pretty rubbish. However now, I have a single go-to film I can shoot from 400 all the way to 3200 at 35mm and get extremely usable results. It's not Tri-X but it is versatile and delivers a great tonal range. Made. In. England.
(In terms of Cinematic, I watched 1917 which is technically a 2019 film but Roger Deakins' cinematography is just out of this world so it's worth a mention...)

2. Has to be the Canon EOS-30 this year. After lots of help via PMs from @Mr Badger I ended up going back to Canon EOS because Nikon... I don't understand the lenses..... Yep. More fool me. I really enjoyed fixer-upper-ing my Olympus 35RC and have a lot of fondness for my Instamatic, but for sheer flexibility, the EOS-30 is a damn fine camera.

3. Ilford DD-X. I finished out 2019 having stuck to one developer for the year (Rodinal). In 2020, I swapped to HC-110 and it was a huge step up in quality. It was only when I saw Nige's (@FishyFish ) images and work with DD-X that caused me to "try" a bottle. And with Ilford HP5 it just kicks bottoms.

4. I thought this would be different, but every time I've happened on an image that made me stop, pause and evaluate it, the names on the posts were always the same. Picking one from this shortlist was really hard, but @Kevin Allan ... I really like your work and thanks for sharing it in the FPoTY. I'm sorely tempted to add other people who've inspired me, but I really should just stick to one. If other people tag multiples I'll revisit.

5. "Is it helpful". A colleague at work hit me with this one and I've spent much of the year with it written on a post-it stuck to my monitor. Is what I'm going to say actually helpful. If not. Why say it? Thanks Jo! You'll never know how many fewer people I pigged off because of your advice.

6. I'm toying with the idea of joining in with the 52. I routinely have shot more than 1 film/week so I think it's doable. My last attempt was in 2010. It failed.

Last edited:
Great idea for a thread :clap:

1. I'm going to go with FP4+ in 4x5. I've used mainly Delta and some HP5 for 4x5 but about a month ago I thought I'd try FP4 and have been really pleased with the results. If we are allowed second choices then I was very impressed by the Lomogrpahy Metropolis from your good self and whilst I have only shot one roll of it so far I can see that for the right subjects it will be enjoyable to shoot.
  2. Film camera it would be my fave the Bronica SQ-A, and I just bought a mint condition body to replace the slightly tatty one I was using for no better reason than I really enjoy using this camera and the mint one was a decent price. Digital I jumped ship from Canon to Sony at the start of the year and there has been no looking back.
  3. I can't really choose a developer, most have their strengths and I don't feel like I process enough to decide. That said I also have bought some DDX based on Nige's results.
  4. Such a tough call and it is tempting to mention several but for quality, gorgeous tones and consistency it has to be @FishyFish.
  5. I'm sure something will come to mind eventually, I'll edit it in :)

Such a tough call and it is tempting to mention several but for quality, gorgeous tones and consistency it has to be @FishyFish.

(y)(y)(y)

1. Film
FP4 because it works for me. If PanF were available in sheet film, I'd answer differently.

2. Camera
Canham MQC. Handles beautifully, and I prefer the proportion of 7x5 and 13x18 to 5x4/10x8

3. Developer
Rodinal. The only one I've used for years. Economical, long lasting and simple to make up.

4. Most inspirational photographer
Another vote for @Kevin Allen, but there are a couple of others not far behind.

5. Most useful piece of advice
Bake a chocolate cake.

1. Film
Has to be HP5+, because that's the only film I have used this year! Very pleased with it.

2. Camera
Canon F-1. I've had it over 35 years and, despite a long gap, when I picked it up at the beginning of the year, it was like I had never put it down.

3. Developer
So far I have only had films commercially developed. I can heartily recommend Ag Photolab. Silverpan did a good job too. I did use a third lab, but we'll draw a veil over that one.
But, 2021 should see me developing my own film, I'm gathering the equipment and chemicals now. Excited!

4. Most influential TP photographer
One @Harlequin565, you gently encourage others, you explore the materials, and write clearly and effectively - thank you!

5. Most useful advice
"Take more pictures". Sometimes, and especially this year, I find motivation really hard, but when I do go out and take some pictures, I love it.

Happy Christmas everyone.

1. Film: Kodak Gold 200 - a good all-round colour print film that's still reasonably affordable.

2. Camera: Canon EOS 30v (a very slightly improved EOS 30, but unfortunately a lot more expensive due to relative rarity/collector's value). Compact and light for a 35mm auto focus SLR with a great metering system and enough bells and whistles to cope with most scenarios, plus it works on all Canon EF lenses with full functionality, including image stabilisation.

3. Developer: Something I may well be buying in 2021.

4. Most influential photograph or photographer: Too hard a choice for me to make, I like several on here for different reasons, so keep up the good work and keep inspiring us to get out there and shoot more film!

5. Most useful piece of advice of the year: Following on from @Harlequin565 suggestion of 'is it helpful?', mine would be: If you can't manage helpful, will it at least make somebody laugh?

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you all. (y)

Last edited:
  • 1 Film
If I was being robbed by a crazed film photographer, I’d let them have the Ilford, Kodak, Fomapan, whatever film, as long as they let me keep the Acros. I haven’t shot much colour this year, but have found Kodak Gold to be my preference in 35mm.

• 2 Camera
Not an actual camera, but a major shift from 35mm to 120 for B&W. This is ultimately a bit restrictive compared to the variety of lenses available for my 35mm kit, but it has definitely been happening over the year. Even after the purchase of a Selfix 820 to go with my Selfix 16-20, it’s the Rolleicord Vb that’s been my first choice. I think this may be due to the fact that I can actually focus with it, rather than estimating the distance with the Selfixes, but all suffer from having a “standard” lens viewpoint, which can make things a bit samey.

• 3 Developer
The next one! I’ve been using HC-110 all year and it’s been fine, without making itself the future one. I think I preferred the replenished stock Xtol that I used all of last year, and there’s a pack in the cupboard. Next year I’ll be trying Ilford Perceptol to see how I like it.

• 4 Inspirational photographer
This is a hard one, since there are those who don’t post many (any?) photos, but give great advice and words of wisdom. Amongst those who do post photos, I feel that @Kevin Allan has had a particularly good year for both his ability to see the photo, and then produce fine end results.

• 5 Most useful advice
Possibly controversial(!), but consider cutting down on the number of cameras you actually use. I now find myself selecting a camera, then moving it to a suitable bag, then remembering the extra film, the filters that fit that particular lens, the light for shining through the red window for the Selfixes, the handheld meter, the shutter release for the Selfixes or the ZeroImage pinhole, and then there’s the penknife, the pencil, the piece of paper to record details. And you just know you’ll have forgotten something …………..

• 6 Next year’s plan?
I almost said “resolution”, but we all know they get broken. :whistle: I’ve a few boxes of OOD 5x4 FP4+, as well as newer rolls of 120, some even well in date! I’ll be looking to find a developer that works well with FP4+ shot at iso 200, so that they could become my go-to standards in all formats. I’ve always liked FP4+ and have noticed how it has quite different timings in HC-110 at box speed, but don’t know why. (9mins Dil B c.f. 5mins HP5+ and Acros, 5.5 mins Kosmo Foto, 6 mins Delta 100, Fomapan 100 and APX400)

And hope you all have the best Christmas possible in the circumstances!

Last edited:
As a Johnny come lately to this group, I don't really feel qualified to contribute, but what the hell.

1. Film - Rollei Retro 400s. It's cheap and I love the extended red sensitivity. This means it works really well with an orange filter for dramatic skies. Grain doesn't bother me because if I want perfect, I'll use digital. However I will branching out more in the new year.

2. I can't not nominate my trusty Nikon FM2n which I've actually had from new and it used to just be my camera, as opposed to my film camera. However, my eye keeps drifting towards medium format.

3. Developer. I've been very unadventurous in my choice of developer, so HC-110 gets the award by default.

4. I'm going to duck out of nominating anyone as I don't know you all well enough yet. However I am so glad to find an active film group to keep my interest going.

5. My advice would be more purposeful photography. Thanks to having taken part in lots of photographic challenges, including a completed 365, I now much prefer to set out with a particular shot in mind and focus on getting that just right.

Have a good Christmas all and here's to a better New Year.

• 1 Film
I've been mainly an FP4+ user for the last few years. In 2020 I've gone a bit mad stocking up on 35mm and have purchased 100ft bulk rolls of Kodak Vision 50D, FP4+, HP5+, and - most recently and still in the post - Adox HR50. I shouldn't need to buy much 35mm for the next couple of years. I have become more of an HP5+ fan over the last year, but I still consider FP4+ to be my favourite. If I wasn't a habitual tripod user, it would be HP5+

• 2 Camera
I've enjoyed using a few different cameras over the year but most of them have given some grief due to faults. So my favourite is the one that's given the best ratio of enjoyment to grief, which is the RealitySoSubtle 6x6F pinhole camera.

• 3 Developer
For mono, I've only used HC110 in 2020, so that's an easy choice.

• 4 Inspirational photographer
I'm humbled to have received some mentions. My choice is @FishyFish for opening me up to the possibilities of HP5+ and for consistency and regularity of output.

• 5 Most useful advice
Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

• 6 Next year’s plan,
Shoot some panos - I believe Santa has a Horizon 202 waiting for me.

1 Film

I really liked the new Acros but it is so expensive that I can't recomend it so I'll stick with my go to film (in 120 anyway) and say Portra 400.

2 Camera

Ross Ensign 16-20, tiny, lightweight, great lens. Job done.

3. Developer

I've only ever used Ilford LC29 so I hav'nt anything to compare it to however next year I'm going to try out some others so we'll see how it goes.

4. Inspirational Photographer

Very tricky as you are all inspiring in one way or another ;)

5. Most Useful Advice

Don't go to the pub during a Pandemic or you might catch something horrid..... Oops, too late

1. Vista only because I have loads bought for £1 each
2. Gotta be the Canon T90 for every year for manual focus and for AF EOS 300 series.....only because it's light as a feather and can do so much for so little price.
4. Some excellent shots but can't remember from what member, but think fishyfish should get some brownie points for consistent quality shots.
5. Anything I post o_O :D

I'm not sure how qualified I am to contribute here as I haven't shot film in 20 years, however I will be next year, so I'll add my thoughts with a bit of explanation where relevant:

1 Film - I now own a box of Foma 100 5x4. I've no idea how good, bad or indifferent this is
2 Camera - last one I owned was the Nikon F301, next one, when it arrives will be Intrepid mkIV, I'm expecting there to be some differences
3 Developer - Suggestions please :) Probably HC110 will be my first purchase based on what I've read on here as it seems to be a good, long-lived all rounder
4 Inspirational photographer - tricky one that, I'd struggle to narrow it down to 5 never mind one, there is a lot of varied and thought provoking work posted on here
5 Most Useful Advice - apart from the oft quoted don't eat yellow snow, I'm going for various posters on the large format thread who tipped me over the edge into this adventure. Of course next year this could become the "Worst advice" post.......
6 Next Years Plan - learn how to use 4x5, finish acquiring the "gear" and at some point, go outside

1. Film of the year (emulsion or cinematic): This year I've probably exposed more Foma 100 film than any other tbh so I'll go with that. Other brands, Delta 100 and particularly FP4 are likely to win over next year but Foma 100, contrary to what some folk feel about it, offers a darned good negative tbh at a very cheap price.( in LF formats anyway!)

2. Camera of the year (film or phone): Difficult to say as I've acquired several outfits.....I suspect that the 5x7 Canham will win over all the others on sheer class and quality, with the Walker Titan SF and Chamonix 45h-1 hot on the heels.
All three outweigh the Intrepids in several different areas except for weight!!
5x4 through to 10x8 without exceeding 2.5kg.......Other LF outfits don't come close!

3. Developer of the year (person or chemical): HC-110, as a general , economical , long lasting all rounder , one can't go wrong. Saying that , having just dabble into ID11, those views may change!

4. "Most inspirational photograph or photographer on TP" of the year (link to post plz, no reposting... if you can be bothered): Every film tog on here barr me!

5. Most useful piece of advice of the year. (photogrraphy rated or not): Don't dither over doing or purchasing something that you really yearn......Life is too darned short!!!

6. Next Year's Plan (NEW!! - thanks @Peter B ): To stay alive long enough to get back to Blighty and see some very good TP friends, if only to wind them up! ;)

#1- Film
Fuji 400 in 120... it produces such rich colours even when out of date.

#2 -
Camera of the year
For me it has to be the Canham DLC 4x5, it's so sleek and a joy to use even though I haven't managed to as much as I would have liked due to various reasons... and thank you to @StephenM.
Failing that it would be the F100 and F4 as I have used them more.

#3 - Developer
HC110

#4 - Most influential photographer
@Kevin Allan

# - 5 & 6
Pass for now.

1. Film of the year (emulsion or cinematic)

Hmm! Just returned to film late this year after a 35 year hiatus. I think I have to vote for Lomograohy 400 colour because i got it for free (it's currently at the lab) :sneaky:

2. Camera of the year (film or phone)

Agfa Isolette II just because it is a wonderful little thing that makes me smile every time I press the button to open her up.

3. Developer of the year (person or chemical)

Can't comment sadly.

4. "Most inspirational photograph or photographer on TP" of the year (link to post plz, no reposting... if you can be bothered)

I'll get back to you. Phil Marion's work in the Black and White Film thread struck a chord with me. There are a number of very talented photographers on this forum that's for sure.

5. Most useful piece of advice of the year. (photogrraphy rated or not)

I'm not sure you can consider it a piece of advice but I frequently hear Rod Stewart in my head singing 'Youth's a mask and it don't last. Live it long and live it fast'. I can work with that!

6. Next Year's Plan (NEW!! - thanks @Peter B )

Pay attention to the world around me - a continuation of a plan I formed in May this year when I picked up a camera again after a long break.

Last edited:
4. Most influential TP photographer
One @Harlequin565, you gently encourage others, you explore the materials, and write clearly and effectively - thank you
Happy Christmas everyone.

Hear, hear! Thanks Ian, threads like this and the zine share are much appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Firstly, thank you to everyone who named me as an inspirational photographer. I'm both flattered by the generous accolade and also very happy that you like my photographs enough to grant it. :)

1. Film of the year (emulsion or cinematic): Ilford HP5+. Looks great. Very versatile. Affordable. My go-to film.
2. Camera of the year (film or phone): Yashica Mat 124G. I've had this a few years now, but it continues to please. The form-factor is nice, the lens is super sharp, and the square format remains a favourite.
3. Developer of the year (person or chemical): Ilfotec DD-X. I started out with this when I began developing my own B&W for the first time this year when the lockdown hit. While it's not very cheap on a roll-per-roll basis, a 1L bottle of it cost less than HC-110 or other more economical developers and, as I'd just spent a wad of cash on all the other stuff I needed to get started, I wanted to save money on the initial purchase. The results have been excellent from my very first toll and (other than a small bottle of backup Adonal) I don't see myself switching. It makes everything I've used it with look lovely.
4. "Most inspirational photograph or photographer on TP" of the year (link to post plz, no reposting... if you can be bothered): This is difficult in some regards, but easy in others, and my choice is @Harlequin565 . @Boots has already made some comments I agree with wholeheartedly, but special mention must go to the Contact Sheets and Zine projects / collaboratives. The former I still need to catch up on as we reach the end of the year, but it's always been interesting to see what Ian and the other participants have produced, as well as receiving their insightful comments on my own work. The latter because it gave me the impetus to create a physical copy of my work beyond single prints. I was very happy with the results I got and look forward to making more. I was especially inspired by receiving the zines from the other people taking part. It's fascinating to experience the unique insights provided by each, seeing not just the images, but also the creativity, imagination, and skill that comes from a bunch of different folks.
5. Most useful piece of advice of the year. (photography rated or not): Make photographs you enjoy. Don't worry if anyone else likes them or not.
6. Next Year's Plan (NEW!! - thanks @Peter B ): Try to be sensible and not buy any more cameras unless they someting I really want. Yeah, right...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Back