Talk to me about the Fuji X100 series

It's possible that On1 Photo Raw does. It not only lets me choose film sims with my X-E2 raws, it even includes Eterna-Cinema, which my X-E2 doesn't have! I'm hoping that a future upgrade will include Eterna Bleach Bypass, Classic Neg, and Acros. I can't say how accurate the On1 results are compared to C1, because I've never used C1, but to my eye they look close enough.

If you'd like to chuck me an RAF, I can give you back copies with Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome, Pro Neg Hi, Pro Neg Std, and Eterna-Cinema applied and no other adjustments, so you can see if you want to shell out the £89.48 current price. It's an excellent alternative to Lightroom, especially at that price, but if I say any more you'll start to think I work for them. (I don't.) :)

"Slightly Off Topic"

I've had On1 Photo Raw (2020) on my MacBook Pro for quite some time now and must admit I've only ever used it for viewing and culling snaps and then doing virtually all of my PP in Affinity Photo.

But after reading this post I thought I'd look at a couple of YouTubes on the software and now realize just how powerful this software is. Although I don't use film sims etc, they are all there and the RAW editor is much more powerful than the RAW editor in Affinity. Guess this could be the way I'll be processing my RAW files from now and then exporting them to Affinity to finish them off.

Big fan of X Raw Studio. It’s a free download. Try it. I like the fact that you end up with the genuine Fuji Sim. Easy to use, you’re processing the RAW file using the cameras engine. You’ll see the results change on you computer screen as you go. Save your favourite recipes to use again.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll give the X-RAW studio a go.
I’ve got a load of C1 ‘film’ Styles I use as a well, but I just thought it was strange, given C1’s Fuji association, that the sims weren’t there.
I suppose it’s a older camera though so I guess it’s understandable.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll give the X-RAW studio a go.
I’ve got a load of C1 ‘film’ Styles I use as a well, but I just thought it was strange, given C1’s Fuji association, that the sims weren’t there.
I suppose it’s a older camera though so I guess it’s understandable.

X RAW Studio not compatible with the X100T or older models

X RAW Studio not compatible with the X100T or older models

Or the X100F? Just downloaded it and it won't let me do anything with the images.

Edit: just checked and it is compatible with the F but everything is greyed out and the options on the right hand side do nothing when I click them.

Screenshot 2021-05-08 at 09.01.05.png

Last edited:
Or the X100F? Just downloaded it and it won't let me do anything with the images.

Edit: just checked and it is compatible with the F but everything is greyed out and the options on the right hand side do nothing when I click them.

View attachment 317871

Have you imported the images to your computer
It doesn’t work on jpeg
Is the camera connected correctly

Have you imported the images to your computer
It doesn’t work on jpeg
Is the camera connected correctly

The raw files were already on my computer, the camera isn't connected

The raw files were already on my computer, the camera isn't connected

You need to connect the camera. It uses the cameras processing engine.

Big fan of X Raw Studio. It’s a free download. Try it. I like the fact that you end up with the genuine Fuji Sim. Easy to use, you’re processing the RAW file using the cameras engine. You’ll see the results change on you computer screen as you go. Save your favourite recipes to use again.
Have you compared the conversions and film simulations to Fuji's other free package, Raw File Converter, which doesn't need the camera?:
I have an X100T, so can't try X Raw Studio.

Have you compared the conversions and film simulations to Fuji's other free package, Raw File Converter, which doesn't need the camera?:
I have an X100T, so can't try X Raw Studio.

Just downloaded it for a quick play. Seems pretty good for free software . A bit of a learning curve, but seems quite powerful when you dive in.

Just tried XRaw studio and Capture One to develop some shots taken today. I found Craw studio a bit clunky (and it’s a pain having to remove the SD card then plug the camera in). You also can’t straighten images and the exposure/highlight controls are +/- quite big steps.

C1 was faster, the same Fuji sims are there and look exactly the same as far as I can tell and I’m able to straighten shots etc. Also I can leave the SD in the camera.

Both look excellent though, very happy with that. I’m trying to get used to the X100v but it still feels a bit like pointing a computer at something compared to the Epson. I found fave tracking a bit fiddly and have found it most accurate for shots of my fast moving son with centre point focus. Should I give zone and/or tracking focus a go for shots of him? Obviously with my RF I focus, re-compose and click

I am massive fan of the X100 series camera from the original series and I was involved in the launch of the X100F. Film simulations are great and you can opt for film simulation bracketing which gives you 3 versions of your image in your chosen simulations. I have a post 100 photos captured with the X100 series that documents the journey ; https://www.flixelpix.com/100-photos-taken-x100-series/

Last edited:
I've hardly touched my X-H1 over the last 2 years due to the size and weight (I've had a couple of shoulder operations) so have only used my phone. I like the idea of a small camera, but would want a zoom. Is the X20 the only Fuji compact with a zoom?
I've never looked or seen any of the range so know nothing about them.

I've hardly touched my X-H1 over the last 2 years due to the size and weight (I've had a couple of shoulder operations) so have only used my phone. I like the idea of a small camera, but would want a zoom. Is the X20 the only Fuji compact with a zoom?
I've never looked or seen any of the range so know nothing about them.

X10, X20, X30 - not manufactured for some time
XF1 - not known for reliability
XP (waterproof series)

X100F and X100V have digital (interpolated zoom), giving 3 fixed focal lengths 35mm/50mm/70mm (all FF equivalents)

If you want something new and with a zoom then its probably not a Fuji (think Sony, Panasonic, Canon, etc)

I am massive fan of the X100 series camera from the original series and I was involved in the launch of the X100F. Film simulations are great and you can opt for film simulation bracketing which gives you 3 versions of your image in your chosen simulations. I have a post 100 photos captured with the X100 series that documents the journey ; https://www.flixelpix.com/100-photos-taken-x100-series/

Excellent!

X10, X20, X30 - not manufactured for some time
XF1 - not known for reliability
XP (waterproof series)

X100F and X100V have digital (interpolated zoom), giving 3 fixed focal lengths 35mm/50mm/70mm (all FF equivalents)

If you want something new and with a zoom then its probably not a Fuji (think Sony, Panasonic, Canon, etc)
Thanks for that, very helpful even if not what I'd hoped for..! I may look into an X20 to see what it is like as a zoom is a priority but an X100F or V might be a possible. I guess price will play a part too!

Thanks for that, very helpful even if not what I'd hoped for..! I may look into an X20 to see what it is like as a zoom is a priority but an X100F or V might be a possible. I guess price will play a part too!

Don't dismiss an earlier X series camera

For instance X-E2/X-E2 + XC16-50 is around 530g - 150g less than the X-H1 body alone

I've been using my X-30 for the 52 challenge this year and I'm really enjoying it. I'm a fan of Fuji, using an assortment of X-T and X-H bodies as well as the babyies. The only range I can't see myself using is the X-100 range due to the lack of flexibility as far as focal length goes. 35mm was never my preferred focal length when I used primes and if the option is to add the supplementary lenses to the front of the fixed one, I may as well carry a zoom on a body at the expense of a little extra weight. Digital zoom is ne substitute for the real thing!

If you can find an X20 you won't be disappointed. I captured a photo of horses on the beach with an early X20 and it remains high up the list of my favourite photos :

Great website @DCFlix - have read a few articles and will have another read later (y)

My ONLY real gripe with the baby X cameras is that they're too big to slip into a shirt pocket. I can live with a limited zoom range (in a compact) but I don't want it hanging round my neck all the time, hence my Sony RX 100 iii. If I'm wearing a coat/jacket/fleece with a pocket big enough, it's the Fuji that comes with me!

My ONLY real gripe with the baby X cameras is that they're too big to slip into a shirt pocket. I can live with a limited zoom range (in a compact) but I don't want it hanging round my neck all the time, hence my Sony RX 100 iii. If I'm wearing a coat/jacket/fleece with a pocket big enough, it's the Fuji that comes with me!

Thats where the XF1 came in, shame the lens mechanism was made of chocolate

If I'm taking a camera out it gives me an excuse to take a bag and then I can put all the bulky stuff that's normally in my pockets in the bag.

Thats where the XF1 came in, shame the lens mechanism was made of chocolate

Had 2 of them - one got nicked from my (unlocked, all my fault!) car and the other still works. The one I still have is an early example and I believe that it's the later ones that have lens problems. Much prefer using the X-?0 series though - I like a hold-to-the-eye viewfinder rather than just a rear screen.

For what it's worth, I love the X100V but it's just a touch bigger than I like, not exactly 'pocketable' - that said, I carry a Canon S100 for the size but obviously the sensor/AF is somewhat lacking...

For what it's worth, I love the X100V but it's just a touch bigger than I like, not exactly 'pocketable' - that said, I carry a Canon S100 for the size but obviously the sensor/AF is somewhat lacking...
Also the leather case design for the X100V is not as good as the previous versions. The two pieces don't attach so when you take photos you end up looking after the second piece.

Also the leather case design for the X100V is not as good as the previous versions. The two pieces don't attach so when you take photos you end up looking after the second piece.
One thing I do really like about the X100V is the EVF though, I love rangefinder cameras and was always a bit unsure about EVF's - I done my research about them before but it was only when I started using the X100V that I really appreciated it (in this style of body)...

Yes the original F2 is a bit soft but take a look at some of Damian Lovegrove‘s portrait work with the original and T versions.

I don't have a Fuji but I feel the need to contribute anyway. Feel free to ignore a non Fuji owner if you wish :D

I've had a number of fixed lens compact cameras and at the moment I have a Panasonic TZ100 which is fixed lens camera but I have a (maybe) irrational fear of spending too much (whatever that may be) on a fixed lens camera in case it should suffer from sensor contamination as if it does it can't be as easily cleaned as a removeable lens camera sensor can be. Fixed lens cameras may be less prone to sensor contamination as you can't remove the lens but it could happen. Hence my fear and reluctance to spend a lot on one.

Non of the fixed lens cameras I've had have ever suffered contamination on the sensor but I did recently buy a used Panasonic LF1 on evil bay and that had three lovely big splodges which showed up in pictures with the lens wide open, so it went straight back.

If tempted by a fixed lens camera I'd take a similar removeable lens camera and lens combination if one was available. In the case of the Fuji X100 I just don't know what alternative camera and removeable lens is available and at what bulk, weight and price but I'd take a look before deciding if a fixed lens camera was worth the possible even if possibly unlikely risk of sensor contamination which may not be easy to remove.
Alan, I loved the original X100,I have owned 8 since 2011,(I just like change). I now own the XT100 which is. 24mp Bayer sensor ILC. For moving subjects forget it but having the bayer sensor and 24mp and option to change lenses I’m almost loving more than the original x100 although that will always be my favourite.

Alan, I loved the original X100,I have owned 8 since 2011,(I just like change). I now own the XT100 which is. 24mp Bayer sensor ILC. For moving subjects forget it but having the bayer sensor and 24mp and option to change lenses I’m almost loving more than the original x100 although that will always be my favourite.

As I've had MFT since the GF1 and also have a Sony A7 there's not a lot of room in my life for an XT100 otherwise I might have got one, but TBH they're not significantly smaller than the cameras I have now and the stuff I have now is more flexible as I can change the lens. I do know that these cameras have a following and as always good luck to those who love them but they're just not for me. If I was starting again, maybe.

I should get over this fear of contamination with fixed lens cameras... but if it does happen it's a problem...

Last edited:
I have a love hate with the x100 . I buy one then after the honeymoon period i start to find the lens is either too long or too wide for a shot that presents itself . I then decide to sell it and with in 48 hours I notice I miss it . A few months pass and I eventually buy another and the cycle continues LOL I've owned at least two of the classic , s, t ,f and v

I have a love hate with the x100 . I buy one then after the honeymoon period i start to find the lens is either too long or too wide for a shot that presents itself . I then decide to sell it and with in 48 hours I notice I miss it . A few months pass and I eventually buy another and the cycle continues LOL I've owned at least two of the classic , s, t ,f and v

I did the same thing with my X100, I bought it and felt it was too limited, I also discovered the battery life on the original wasn't great (the hard way). Two months after selling it I bought another and never looked back. To be honest the whole ideal lens thing still annoys me 10 years on and I don't think it really exists. I do wonder if I should just insist on only having one camera and one lens and put the whole debate out of my head. I do wise myself up and look at the range of images I have managed to capture with the X100 series over the years. https://www.flixelpix.com/100-photos-taken-x100-series/ I do over think it :)

I also discovered the battery life on the original wasn't great (the hard way).

I went on holiday to the Isle of Mull for a week and accidently left my camera bag at home. All I had was an original X100 with an indeterminate amount of charge in teh battery, no charger!!

By using OVF only, and not pixel peeping or any kind of image review, I got another 350 shots out of teh camera during the week and it still had charge when I returned home!

Ok after giving it a good try I’ve decided that I’m not feeling the love for the X100v so I’ll be selling. Technically it’s fantastic, it does everything it said it would, but I just don’t feel as involved or inspired as I do using my obsolete gear! I don’t know how to explain it but I feel like the pictures lack character and the focal length doesn’t work for me as well as something a bit tighter. Still, it was good to check in with it.

Back