Beginner Tamron lenses in the UK. Why not popular?

Edit My Images
No
Good evening, I have been noticing that Sigma is the brand after the main brands being popular in the UK and barely any Tamron lens ever come for sale? In the US Tamron constantly offers cashback but never in the UK. Just curious why?

Tamron do offer cash back in the UK as I bought a lens of theirs with cash back.

I think Tamron are still popular but I think Sigma’s art line has helped bring the brand to people’s attention more.

I don’t know @snerkler Waiting forever for a Tamron 150-600 G2 coming here for sale but no joy hence makes me think.

I don’t know @snerkler Waiting forever for a Tamron 150-600 G2 coming here for sale but no joy hence makes me think.
The 150-600mm g2 has been on sale in the UK for ages :oops: :$

Good evening, I have been noticing that Sigma is the brand after the main brands being popular in the UK and barely any Tamron lens ever come for sale?
I don't know if that's correct. I've bought both Tamron and Sigma lenses over the years and without knowing the actual sales figures both brands seem equally prevalent both new and used.

I was hoping to have it on sale on TP :)
Ahh I see. I don’t see many super teles come up that often but I’m sure I have seen at least one G2 on sale on TP. Looking back Tamron did £100 cash back on the G2 last year.

Also if you’re happy to buy grey from the likes of Panamoz, HDEW and e-infinity you can often find good deals. I’m not going to get into the whole ethical debate though ;)

shows that the owners are perfectly happy with them.
I had the Sigma 28-300 on my Canon 5D and now have the Tamron 16-300 on my Sony A65. They both do what it says on the tin.

I suspect the fact that neither the Sigma nor Tamron super-tele's come up on here very often shows that the owners are perfectly happy with them and that there's nothing better out there (in the price range) and no real difference between them.

I think that the second part of that is very important - to be honest, for Nikon/Canon there's no real upgrade path from the big Sigma/Tamrons other than either a shorter Zoom topping out at 400mm plus extenders or going to a prime lens that costs the same as a small family car. So, people buy-to-keep.

We probably get more classifieds sales on here of 500mm lenses from Canikon by people buying one second hand "for a 3 month gig" then selling it on again because it's cheaper than hiring the lens...

I think traditionally Tamron were seen as "better" than Sigma up until the Art line of lenses was introduced, their primes are close to if not equal to the equivalent Canon, Sony and Nikon glass.

Tamron do tend to be more focused on Zooms rather than primes too wheras Sigma have done the reverse, outstanding series of Sigma Art Primes and now they're re-doing their zoom range.

Old Tamron and Sigma`s are ten to the penny with the big ebay resellers. Absolute mountain of them so they couldn't have been that "unpopular"

Its interesting about perception - chrism_scotland percieves them to be slightly better than Sigma, whereas I was the other way round - I'd usually consider a Sigma over a Tamron.

I think in this country its largely due to distribution. Tamron has a European office in Germany, but UK distribution, sales and advertising would by the UK distributor Intro2020 - and probably have less resources available to them to promote their products.

Sigma on the other hand has offices in the UK, Germany, France and Belgium, as well as distributors serving other countries, so I perceive it to be a much bigger company than Tamron - but then they also produce cameras and flashguns.

In my opinion marketing wise tamron have always been a little odd, they make lots of cheap, crappy lenses and then some high end, very good quality lenses. The high end ones are stunning. My favourite lens of all time is a tamron. (And the worst lens I've also brought was a cheap tamron, which I brought as an emergency backup at one point)

There is nothing in between. And the other problem is the high end lenses tend to be up the upper end price wise and made in small quantities. Once they are gone, they are gone and they don't seem to replace it with anything else.

Einfinity are selling them for £765 new.
A friend bought one from them last year and I bought a Tamron 100-400 from them as well.
Plenty of people from here have bought from them and been very happy.

These zooms tend to be a niche market. Unless you are into birds/wildlife, sports, aviation most people don't buy one. People who do, tend to keep them.

Its interesting about perception - chrism_scotland percieves them to be slightly better than Sigma, whereas I was the other way round - I'd usually consider a Sigma over a Tamron.

I should clear that up - I really meant that I felt their used to be a feeling that Tamron stuff was better, before the Art Line of glass (which is better than even some of the Canon, Nikon stuff).... not so sure its the case now.

Back