Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di USD - Birding

Is pic #2 a crop? How many focus points are you using?

If not a crop & you were using single, or 9 centre points, the image looks slightly sharper on the right hand side, so could be front focusing ? (or even de-centred)
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not? Surely it's a depth of field thing and the leaves on the left of the frame are further away from the camera and are MUCH softer as are actually out of focus due to the DOF.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not? Surely it's a depth of field thing and the leaves on the left of the frame are further away from the camera and are MUCH softer as are actually out of focus due to the DOF.

It's not a joke. I'm not talking about DOF & the obvious OOF leaves.

I haven't clicked through to flickr, just viewing on here, but the centre of the image seems less in focus than the leaves to the right side & below. (to me)

Is pic #2 a crop? How many focus points are you using?

If not a crop & you were using single, or 9 centre points, the image looks slightly sharper on the right hand side, so could be front focusing ? (or even de-centred)

I haven't clicked through to flickr, just viewing on here, but the centre of the image seems less in focus than the leaves to the right side & below. (to me)
I was using centre focus. On this combo I only get centre autofocus or wide auto focus. I was just pointing the camera towards the brightest area just to see what kind of ISO I'd get so i didnt switch focus mode. There's no flexible spot focus with this adapted lens - as sony call it - so I can't select what I want to focus on unless I get my subject right in the centre. Saying that, on continuous focus it does wonder after things that aren't quite central.

I was using centre focus. On this combo I only get centre autofocus or wide auto focus. I was just pointing the camera towards the brightest area just to see what kind of ISO I'd get so i didnt switch focus mode. There's no flexible spot focus with this adapted lens - as sony call it - so I can't select what I want to focus on unless I get my subject right in the centre. Saying that, on continuous focus it does wonder after things that aren't quite central.
Actually I might be able to use zone autofocus but not tried that yet

Ahh I see. All the leaves etc are at different distances so you can't really comment on whether part of the fame is sharper than the other. To me there's a difference in distance of the leaves on the right of the fame even compared to the centre.

To me there's a difference in distance of the leaves on the right of the fame even compared to the centre.

Yep, that's what I was getting at. I wondered if the pic was a crop & the leaves to the right were actually the centre & were actually focused on.

Yep, that's what I was getting at. I wondered if the pic was a crop & the leaves to the right were actually the centre & were actually focused on.
Yep, understand what you mean now. Without knowing the focus point/mode it's hard to say. If in Auto I'd have expected the AF to pick that area as it's closest, likewise if I was to manually select the focus point this is where I would choose. However, if the centre point has been used (as suggested by the OP) then it does seem a bit odd as you said.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what focus mode you've used tbh? Are you saying that you used central, but then the AF point moved about? I personally wouldn't use continuous AF on a shot like this, I'd stick to single (AF-S)

It was just a shot to compare different lit parts of the garden. Keeping the same configuration as for my birding - I just swung my camera over to the brightest part of the garden - wanted to see what ISO would be required in the brighter conditions at 1\1000

It was just a shot to compare different lit parts of the garden. Keeping the same configuration as for my birding - I just swung my camera over to the brightest part of the garden - wanted to see what ISO would be required in the brighter conditions at 1\1000

But as asked, where is the focus point/s on the image?

But as asked, where is the focus point/s on the image?
I would say bang in the middle given my settings. That's where the focus spot was.

I would say bang in the middle given my settings. That's where the focus spot was.
It won't have ben bang in the middle as that's way out of focus. On the a6300 do you get the option to view focus points during playback (reviewing the image on the LCD)? I tried in lightroom but unfortunately it's not compatible with the plugin.

It won't have ben bang in the middle as that's way out of focus. On the a6300 do you get the option to view focus points during playback (reviewing the image on the LCD)? I tried in lightroom but unfortunately it's not compatible with the plugin.

Knowing the focus point only tells you which point was used, not necessarily what was focused on. With focus-recompose technique, there can obviously be a big difference and with very long lenses it's very easy for framing to change slightly between focusing and shooting.

Knowing the focus point only tells you which point was used, not necessarily what was focused on. With focus-recompose technique, there can obviously be a big difference and with very long lenses it's very easy for framing to change slightly between focusing and shooting.

All I do know is that I was less interested in the focus, and more interested in the comparative ISO chosen by the camera in this better lit part of the garden - I didn't compose this image, it was just a random shot.

I have since learnt it's not necessarily the ISO value that is the deciding factor on how grainy an image is from camera to camera although a properly exposed picture with an ISO of 100 would be ideal. So ISO 1600 exposed properly might not give the same grain on my camera compared to ISO 1600 exposed properly on another camera. Some cameras produce a much better result at higher ISO. It seems that my setup gives a particularly grainy result compared to other cameras on the market and this might be part of the reason why I'm not getting the detail I'm looking for in more of my shots. Also my AF at the longer end is not nearly as fast as direct lens on body configuration without an adaptor inbetween.

On the Canon and the Nikon do you guys use the lock on subject focusing. How does this benefit your shots? Does it allow you to stay in focus even if a bird lands in a hedge like above?

Granted, but the OPs said that he just focussed centrally and took the shot, no mention of focus recompose :p

All I do know is that I was less interested in the focus, and more interested in the comparative ISO chosen by the camera in this better lit part of the garden - I didn't compose this image, it was just a random shot.

I have since learnt it's not necessarily the ISO value that is the deciding factor on how grainy an image is from camera to camera although a properly exposed picture with an ISO of 100 would be ideal. So ISO 1600 exposed properly might not give the same grain on my camera compared to ISO 1600 exposed properly on another camera. Some cameras produce a much better result at higher ISO. It seems that my setup gives a particularly grainy result compared to other cameras on the market and this might be part of the reason why I'm not getting the detail I'm looking for in more of my shots. Also my AF at the longer end is not nearly as fast as direct lens on body configuration without an adaptor inbetween.

On the Canon and the Nikon do you guys use the lock on subject focusing. How does this benefit your shots? Does it allow you to stay in focus even if a bird lands in a hedge like above?
As you say ISO isn't the only deciding factor in how noisy an image is. A properly exposed image at say 3200 should have less noise than one that's underexposed at 3200 and boosted in PP. Also, the quality of light plays a part.

Your camera actually handles noise pretty well. Looking at this is only just behind 2 highly regarded full frame cameras, and just a smidge behind arguably the best noise handling APS-C camera (D500).
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1312927631284066&y=-0.9790009973890715

Also, looking at your coal tit pic on the previous page noise seems to be handled very well considering it's taken at 6400 ISO, although of course I've no idea how much NR has been applied.

With regards to AF, using adapters to make lenses fit is a bit of a 'fudge' imo and you can't expect to get the same performance as native lenses.

As you say ISO isn't the only deciding factor in how noisy an image is. A properly exposed image at say 3200 should have less noise than one that's underexposed at 3200 and boosted in PP. Also, the quality of light plays a part.

Your camera actually handles noise pretty well. Looking at this is only just behind 2 highly regarded full frame cameras, and just a smidge behind arguably the best noise handling APS-C camera (D500).
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1312927631284066&y=-0.9790009973890715

Also, looking at your coal tit pic on the previous page noise seems to be handled very well considering it's taken at 6400 ISO, although of course I've no idea how much NR has been applied.

With regards to AF, using adapters to make lenses fit is a bit of a 'fudge' imo and you can't expect to get the same performance as native lenses.
I ended up doing a camera change, and now have a Nikon D500. Have been stunned by the improved performance with the Tamron 150-600mm. Both better sharpness and detail when shooting wide open. The speed and accuracy of the autofocus is far far better compared to my previous setup and have been able to take my first successful BIF pictures without a tripod and get recognisable results. I'm also find the reach with equivalent focal length is further which I'm guessing is due to a smaller sensor? The body and grip is a lot easier to carry and handle with the large lens and my images are more detailed and less noisy with higher ISOs. So overall really happy

Last edited:
With the Tamron when I went above 520mm only the minimal AF points worked on the D500. I'm not sure if you're aware, but in many cameras all the AF points 'only' work to a maximum of f5.6 lenses, but if your effective aperture drops below this such as when using teleconverters then some cameras still can autofocus but with a reduced number of AF points, see below. The arrow shows which AF points worked on the D500 above 520mm
View attachment 99899

Now at first I assumed it was because the Tamron is f6.3 at the long end, which is a reasonable assumption. However, the Tamron stops down to f6.3 just after 400mm so you would have thought if it was due to aperture/light limitations then the D500 would reduce to the minimum AF points just after 400mm but it doesn't, it's fine until 520mm. The Tamron works fine on my D750. Now it could be a crop body vs FF issue, but the Tamron worked fine on my friends D7200 although I can't be 100% certain that I tried all the AF points. I will hopefully be borrowing it again in the next week or so. Between myself, the store I bought the camera from, Nikon and Tamron it could not be determined whether this is normal behaviour for the D500 with the Tamron, or whether my D500 was defective and the AF points were not as sensitive as they should be for whatever reason. I did contact about a dozen Flickr users with the D500/Tamron Combo and of the 6 that replied none reported having the issue, although one did say he'd never used anything other than the centre AF point. One member id specifically say he'd tried all the AF points. I would like to get my hands on another D500 at some stage to check it for myself.

Going back to your point above, yes properly exposing will give you better results, but just using a higher shutter speed won't necessarily. It's always a balancing act as to what exposure settings you should use to get the best results, but you should always make sure exposure is 'correct'. As to how you know whether it's exposed correctly or no according to the histogram I don't think that you can really when the bird is so small in the frame, I've not found a way yet to determine which bit of the histogram refers to the bird. You can use spot metering, but unless you're completely au fait with spot metering you can get some wildly different results.

When shooting wildlife I use one of two settings. It's always manual mode (so that I control both aperture and shutter speed) but if the animal/bird is moving about I will use auto ISO so that exposure can constantly change as the animal is moving from lighter to darker areas. If the animal is pretty static I will use spot metering and use a set ISO to a specific value. I will then view in the LCD and check the histograms and adjust exposure settings if necessary. Be aware though, that simply viewing in the LCD is not entirely reliable as if viewing in bright light the image will look dark and you will think it's underexposed. It's always best to view the LCD in a darker environment if you can, such as in a well shaded area. Over time you will get a better feel of whether exposure is correct or not.

My general settings for wildlife using the Tamron are 1/1000, f8 and then whatever the ISO needs to be to expose correctly. If light's poor I will lower the shutter speed if possible. With the tamron try and stick to 550mm at the longest length, the difference in framing between 550mm and 600mm is negligible, at least it is on FF ;) At 550mm f8 you should get some very sharp results.
I am able to select all 55 selectable points at 600mm but AF was not effective at the extreme corners with the camera unable to acquire focus. I could test all points Snerkler and let you know exactly which points work and which don't

I ended up doing a camera change, and now have a Nikon D500. Have been stunned by the improved performance with the Tamron 150-600mm. Both better sharpness and detail when shooting wide open. The speed and accuracy of the autofocus is far far better compared to my previous setup and have been able to take my first successful BIF pictures without a tripod and get recognisable results. I'm also find the reach with equivalent focal length is further which I'm guessing is due to a smaller sensor? The body and grip is a lot easier to carry and handle with the large lens and my images are more detailed and less noisy with higher ISOs. So overall really happy
imo the D500 is by far the best APS-C camera currently on the market.

I am able to select all 55 selectable points at 600mm but AF was not effective at the extreme corners with the camera unable to acquire focus. I could test all points Snerkler and let you know exactly which points work and which don't
Yeah, unfortunately Nikon still let you select all the AF points rather than deactivating them when you go beyond the minimum aperture, you just find they don't focus. With my combo it was only those that you see listed in the manual when using an f4 lens with 1.7tc IIRC. So the only ones that worked were the central 9 cluster and those across the middle row. So none of the top row, some of the second row, all of the middle row, some of the fourth row and none of the bottom row.

Yeah, unfortunately Nikon still let you select all the AF points rather than deactivating them when you go beyond the minimum aperture, you just find they don't focus. With my combo it was only those that you see listed in the manual when using an f4 lens with 1.7tc IIRC. So the only ones that worked were the central 9 cluster and those across the middle row. So none of the top row, some of the second row, all of the middle row, some of the fourth row and none of the bottom row.

Will give them all a go and let you know. Will start out of focus with each, and see which ones are able to acquire focus.

In the meantime, here is a rough comparison of results I could get with the Sony vs results I have been able to get with the Nikon.

I think it's the same bird!!

Last edited:
In the meantime, here is a rough comparison of results I could get with the Sony vs results I have been able to get with the Nikon.

You can't really compare shots like this as there's so many variables, none more so than light. However, viewing on the phone the bottom looks noticeablely sharper to me so am assuming that's the Nikon? Any reason you have the files names FSC and GSC?

You can't really compare shots like this as there's so many variables, none more so than light. However, viewing on the phone the bottom looks noticeablely sharper to me so am assuming that's the Nikon? Any reason you have the files names FSC and GSC?

I just set it so that the camera uses unique file names to my previous cameras - DSC was my RX10, FSC was my A6300, and GSC my Nikon

imo the D500 is by far the best APS-C camera currently on the market.

I found that on the top and bottom I was able to acquire focus on the 3 centre most - groups, albeit not very quickly with hunting. 4 either side of these didn't work at all.

One line down from top and one line up from bottom I was able to get focus on the centre 7 - again not very well with the outermost groups of these 7.

And centre line all worked fine.

Test was at 600mm at f6.3

I hope the bottom one is the Nikon,if not i would go for a refund :D:D

I just bought the Sony A6300 camera. I used it with my Sony 70-400 lens the other day & these are the results.

I will say I had to resize them, then putting them onto this site loses more detail. They were all pin sharp before.

DSC00433.jpg DSC00444.jpg DSC00459.jpg DSC00497.jpg DSC00502.jpg

I found that on the top and bottom I was able to acquire focus on the 3 centre most - groups, albeit not very quickly with hunting. 4 either side of these didn't work at all.

One line down from top and one line up from bottom I was able to get focus on the centre 7 - again not very well with the outermost groups of these 7.

And centre line all worked fine.

Test was at 600mm at f6.3
Thanks for doing this. Seems like the D500 and Tamron 150-600mm aren't a good marriage then :(

These are the ones that worked/didn't work for me at 520-600mm

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 13.56.10.png

Thanks for doing this. Seems like the D500 and Tamron 150-600mm aren't a good marriage then :(

These are the ones that worked/didn't work for me at 520-600mm

View attachment 100696
Perhaps not ideal but certainly an improvement compared to using the same lens with AF on the A6300 with the LAE3 adaptor.

I just bought the Sony A6300 camera. I used it with my Sony 70-400 lens the other day & these are the results.

I will say I had to resize them, then putting them onto this site loses more detail. They were all pin sharp before.

View attachment 100691 View attachment 100692 View attachment 100693 View attachment 100694 View attachment 100695
Nice shots, very detailed - out of curiosity, did you use the LAEA3 adaptor with this combo, and what were your experiences with the AF performance

Nice shots, very detailed - out of curiosity, did you use the LAEA3 adaptor with this combo, and what were your experiences with the AF performance
I'v had the Sony A7 camera with the LA-EA4 adapter & 70-400 lens for about 3 years. Previously I've had both Canon & Nikon, loved them both, but I also love the A7. I wanted 4k video & a faster fps but the new A7 series is too much money, so I bought the Sony A6300 for that reason, plus I can use my existing lenses etc. I have done quite a few comparrisons with the same lens between the two & the A6300 comes up extremely well. The focusing on the A7 & the A6300 with the 70-400 lens may not be fast, but the results are spot on.

Well, after a couple of months with the D500, I'm really impressed with what I've been able to do with the Tamron 150-600 compared to with what I was able to achieve with the Sony and the adapted Sony A Fit version of the same lens. I'm finding that ISO is much closer to 100 at equivalent shutter speeds and I'm able to shoot at 1/1250 which before would result in ridiculously high ISO even in good light. I now realise the importance of the outer focus points and being able to select them. Snerkler had quite rightly explained that this was not possible with this combo and when filling the frame with a larger bird I'm finding it more important to be able to focus on the eye further up on the frame.

I'm wondering what the next step would be in terms of a better lens. I'm probably not going to be changing anytime soon, but it's worth while asking what people think would be the next lens I should try. Would the Nikon 200-500 be a good idea, is the fact that it's a native lens make for faster AF and also a complete flexibility to select the focus point knowing that they all work. Or would the next step be the Sigma Sport (a bit heavy I've heard), the newer Tamron (has anybody tried all of the focus points with this lens), or even an older or shorter prime?

You (possibly) won't see any difference between the Tamron, Nikon and Sigma. In the right light, they all produce excellent results. The next step would probably be a 300mm pf f4 or a 500mm f4. But, tbh, you might not even notice any difference with those.

You (possibly) won't see any difference between the Tamron, Nikon and Sigma. In the right light, they all produce excellent results. The next step would probably be a 300mm pf f4 or a 500mm f4. But, tbh, you might not even notice any difference with those.

Wez, I think you will certainly see a difference between the Tamron and the Nikon 300 PF or 500 f4, good though it may be ... and the Nikon 200-500 being f5.6 can bring significant advantages in extra light and possible TC 1.4 use.

I have been able to see quite a difference in sharpness and detail in the photos others have taken with the 500mm prime. I'm guessing the faster nature of the lens makes for taking good shots in darker situations too. I'm not sure how I'd get on with the aiming at 500mm though. Currently, particularly for the smaller birds, I start at 150mm, and zoom in. It makes it easier to pinpoint the subject. Would the 300mm with a permanent teleconverter make for better results than the Tamron 150 - 600? Is it more portable? My 150-600mm does get heavy once you've been walking for a couple of hours.

I have been able to see quite a difference in sharpness and detail in the photos others have taken with the 500mm prime. I'm guessing the faster nature of the lens makes for taking good shots in darker situations too. I'm not sure how I'd get on with the aiming at 500mm though. Currently, particularly for the smaller birds, I start at 150mm, and zoom in. It makes it easier to pinpoint the subject. Would the 300mm with a permanent teleconverter make for better results than the Tamron 150 - 600? Is it more portable? My 150-600mm does get heavy once you've been walking for a couple of hours.

The 300 PF is so portable it is unbelievable and it works extremely well with the TC 1.4 Ell, though of course you would lose the lower range (150-300).and higher range (420-600). You could use it with a 1.7 very well, or a 2x(Mk3) but with the latter it would be more for portability than IQ. :)

Unless you go for the PF version you will not have VR.

By jove, I don't think I could live with less than 500mm of good quality reach. And I'm not sure I could live without my zoom either!!

Last edited:
Wez, I think you will certainly see a difference between the Tamron and the Nikon 300 PF or 500 f4, good though it may be ... and the Nikon 200-500 being f5.6 can bring significant advantages in extra light and possible TC 1.4 use.

I know what you mean but, as an amateur, Gil won't see much difference between the Tamron and the Nikon 200-500 and maybe not even the 300mm PF. just one of those things that you hope to see a big improvement in IQ when it may only be slightly different and not worth the big hike in price difference.

I'd certainly suggest hiring some lenses first to try before you buy.

@Gil Bev
I hired the Nikon 200-500 twice with a view to replacing my Tamron 150-600 on my D500. The focusing was slower on the Nikon and the IQ was minimal, if any (y)

Back