Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

Would love to know how many have been delivered in the UK vs. how many have pre-ordered and are still waiting. Plenty of people on POTN seem to have them in the US.

I gave up this week, it's key long lens season for me (motorsport, airshows etc) so I pulled the trigger on a used Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 and 1.4 TC for less than my Tamron was pre-ordered for. Very pleased with my decision having shot an airshow and some motorsport this weekend, but a shame it came to that really.

Would love to know how many have been delivered in the UK vs. how many have pre-ordered and are still waiting. Plenty of people on POTN seem to have them in the US.

I gave up this week, it's key long lens season for me (motorsport, airshows etc) so I pulled the trigger on a used Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 and 1.4 TC for less than my Tamron was pre-ordered for. Very pleased with my decision having shot an airshow and some motorsport this weekend, but a shame it came to that really.

It is a bit pathetic that Tamron can announce a lens then keep us waiting,i dont accept demand as the reason they must have had a good idea of how well it would go down,at least its boosted Sigma sales

It is a bit pathetic that Tamron can announce a lens then keep us waiting,i dont accept demand as the reason they must have had a good idea of how well it would go down,at least its boosted Sigma sales

Why not? Tamron significantly underestimated demand and this lens is back-ordered worldwide. I have a comparison test vs the Sigma 150-500 ready and waiting for publication in one of the magazines I work for, but Tamron UK has asked that we hold fire on that until the stock position improves.

Looking on the bright side, if Tamron had known just how popular this lens was going top be, they'd have ramped up the price considerably to both moderate demand and maximise profits.

Rich what was the outcome of the sigma vs tamron?

All I can tell you is the review will be published in Advanced Photographer mag in the next month or two.

Now that could be it. I may well have had a (good quality) UV on it - despite your and others' advice. Another thing to test for!

Did you reach any conclusion over this filter issue Jerry? Apologies if I've missed it.

Hoppy it was a grass in the foreground thing:
I was able to replicate that strange background by holding some grass leaves in front of the lens and looking at the image in the viewfinder

My local supplier rang to say mine was now in, so i'll collect it after lunch tomorrow! :cool: (bloody typical though....... it's just started raining! :rolleyes: )

I've just placed an order through wex for this lens, awaiting stock.
My main concern is the lens weight but I've just bought a monopod so I expect that to ease the burden for shooting purposes.

I've just placed an order through wex for this lens, awaiting stock.
My main concern is the lens weight but I've just bought a monopod so I expect that to ease the burden for shooting purposes.

It's not the heaviest lens tbh, but I find that it makes perfect set with pro body and a monopod. It's a bit too light for tripod and gimbal(I used that as well).

Surprised these aren't available yet!

A heads up for anyone still looking.
SRS Microsystems have just put (UK) stock for sale on ebay. I've just bought one in canon mount, so they have one canon and one nikon left.
£949 and free express delivery.

Can't see any Nikon-fit Marie, do you have a link?

Hi Guys
I need a liitle help with my next lens choice as I am stuck for which way to go.
I currently have a Nikon D7000 and my longest lens is the Nikon 70-300mm.
I so very nearly pulled the trigger on this Tamron tonight but then got to thinking about what my options could be.
At the moment my main subject is wildlife and in particular small birds, for which I am constantly wanting that little bit more reach.
IQ is important to me and I have narrowed my choice down to the following lenses (all reasonably around the same price bracket of around £800-£1000) but if anyone has other suggestions then please feel free to advise.

1st:- The Nikon 300mm f4 prime and possibly the 1.4x teleconverter giving 420mm, this would probably give the best IQ but I would be stuck with a fixed focal range, I know I can move my feet but sometimes that is not practical, also it has no image stabilisation.

2nd:- The new Tamron 150-600mm VC excellent reach but having already bought the Sigma 150-500mm and returned it because it was just too soft at 500mm, I am wondering if this might be the same and I wont be happy. Its also heavy and so maybe not too practical for carrying around on long treks?

3rd:- The wild card. A Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC with a 2x teleconverter. This, I am thinking, would be the most versatile as I would then have a sharp and fast 70-200mm f2.8 and also a 140-400mm f5.6? but I have no idea how this would perform with a 2x converter?

Please help or advise, I really cant decide.

Hi Diane, the Nikon 300mm f4 + 1.4 is a tried and tested combination, known to give good results.

Like you I've hovered over the 'buy' button this evening for one of the Tamron 150-600 but I keep coming back to recent reports of its fragile plastic construction material but more importantly of the need for apertures of f8/f10 and above to give any sharp results and of its failures in A/F.
That simply won't cut it for many of my wildlife situations so I've decided to wait and observe the hands-on reviews of others, it may be that more favourable reviews will be forthcoming with the new batch.
I know nothing of the Tamron 70-200 so cannot comment I'm afraid :)

2x tc are generally not that sharp, add to the fact the older (don't know about this one) tamrons had slow af I would probably rule out as the other options are better.

I use a 1.4 tc and Nikon 300mm. Great iq from Nikon and the tc has minimal impact on that. But it is fixed. Tamron is more versatile but slower af probably and lesser iq. Really is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Tempted by the Tamron myself as I shoot planes but the Nikon is too good to give up.

2x tc are generally not that sharp, add to the fact the older (don't know about this one) tamrons had slow af I would probably rule out as the other options are better.

I use a 1.4 tc and Nikon 300mm. Great iq from Nikon and the tc has minimal impact on that. But it is fixed. Tamron is more versatile but slower af probably and lesser iq. Really is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Tempted by the Tamron myself as I shoot planes but the Nikon is too good to give up.

The tamron 70-200mm VC is stupidly good in all areas except... it doesn't AF with TCs.

I'm sure I've said this before but mine AF's with a kenko 1.4x and 2x. Haven't used it much but it definitely does auto focus on a 5d2 and 7d.

I tried with a kenko 2x and it didn't work... everyone on the net seems to have the same issue...

Maybe your combination is different to what I've been reading but I wasn't successful, haven't seen much of others success and tamron advise against the TCs so definitely is hit and miss with this one I guess...

Worked fine for me with my kenko 2x dgx 300 and 5d2. I posted pics of a red engry bird and one of the kids other soft toys months back with exif inc. showing it at 400mm, sure it was youself that was asking me to test it out. I used it with the 1.4x dgx 300 as well not that long ago, so no idea why it won't work for anyone else. I doubt that the combo would be as good as the 150-600 at 300-400.

I tried with a kenko 2x and it didn't work... everyone on the net seems to have the same issue...

Maybe your combination is different to what I've been reading but I wasn't successful, haven't seen much of others success and tamron advise against the TCs so definitely is hit and miss with this one I guess...
My Tamron A009 works with my Kenko 1.4, that's on a 50D and a 6D :)

Worked fine for me with my kenko 2x dgx 300 and 5d2. I posted pics of a red engry bird and one of the kids other soft toys months back with exif inc. showing it at 400mm, sure it was youself that was asking me to test it out. I used it with the 1.4x dgx 300 as well not that long ago, so no idea why it won't work for anyone else. I doubt that the combo would be as good as the 150-600 at 300-400.
I remember now!

Yeah I went to a camera store in Tottenham Court Road and tried the same TC with mine on a D7000 but no luck... kept hunting.

Thought about getting a nikon one and modifying it but just gave up in the end.

I picked mine up from Devon Cameras a week ago (Canon mount). AF speed is absolutely fine on the 5D3 (not tried it on my crop Cam yet). I tried the 'near and far' AI servo issue and it works no problem so I would be sure mine has the latest AF fix applied.
Not had a lot of time with it yet but here are a few early snaps - still trying to evaluate the lens. All big ugly crops just to see how well (or otherwise) it renders fine detail. Please click on the image for the correct size.

rhea2_zpsf38320a9.jpg

daliaat483mm1_zps96a36c5b.jpg

blackbird01at500mm_zpsc1619bb4.jpg

crane2_zps5cca3c3f.jpg

black3at550mm_zpsba4d83b1.jpg

Last edited:
LCE were showing the Nikon fit as in stock earlier.

I'm sorely tempted by one, but it will have to wait for now.

Lovely detail,have you anything shot at 600mm

Back