Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

anyone got any aviation shots with this lens?

Ben

Hi Ben. Been wondering the same. Tried a search on Flickr using "Tamron 150-600 aviation" and did get results. Worth a look.

cheers Piotr, where were you situated at Dx?

ah right, ive just used a rough compare betweeen my shots, 7d + 100-400 and yours

Looking at the shots posted,I think i`ll give this lens a wide berth for now.

the bird shots look a lot more promising, what settings ere you using for the Dx shots, tbf i was in the naughty field so i was in a much better location.

Ben

are you going to Cosford? Id be intrigued to meet up and have a little tes etc if your interested in that? Im off to Belgium in September and im really in 2 minds about this lens.

Ben

Im actually down London way Sunday as it goes lol, going to a few airfields etc. ;)

Can only find birding shots but thanks pal.

Ben

It's a big step giving up L glass for something else. Now if I could just afford both

Looks like a great lens - I have no idea why others think otherwise??? I haven't seen anything I'd be disappointed with yet...
its competing with expensive primes, which give better results, but ofcourse cost more

As per earlier in thread my first Canon fit lens had focus and dust issues. It was replaced and the second one has been fine. If that helps?

Fundamentally though it's a very capable piece of kit IMO.

Goslings
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tbh, some shots I've seen rival the big primes...
Phil, don't agree with that at all, not critting shots in this thread, but this lens does not look that great.

Phil, don't agree with that at all, not critting shots in this thread, but this lens does not look that great.

It's hardly a rival for a big white prime costing £5k, but when it all comes together right, the Tamron is capable of excellent images. See this link posted earlier in this thread http://www.sumeetmoghe.com/2014/02/field-testing-bigron-aka-tamron-150.html

There's a lot of talk about dodgy copies and AF problems (that Tamron UK has repeatedly denied) but IMHO there is much greater difference between photographers and long-lens techniques. Used well, in good conditions, and this lens delivers.

If people had seen 90% of my recent duxford efforts they would have thought a Nikon 300mm f4 to be worse than a mirror lens coated with Vaseline!!

I so want it to be good!

So if I got two shots together, one from the tamron and another from a nikon 600mm f4, you are 100% sure you'd be able to tell the difference?

I'm not 100% sure I could based on what I've seen.

Stuarts copy of the sigma 150-500mm, another one that rivals the big primes - based on what I've seen of course.

I really want it to be good but the AF worries me, with the copy of the 100-400 I have I know the AF won't hunt and it'll be rocksteady and sharp at 400 tracking fast moving aircraft. I dunno if I trust the Tamron in the same way. I'm probably gunna rent one if I can find somewhere that has them and give it a shot.

Ben

It's hardly a rival for a big white prime costing £5k, but when it all comes together right, the Tamron is capable of excellent images. See this link posted earlier in this thread http://www.sumeetmoghe.com/2014/02/field-testing-bigron-aka-tamron-150.html

There's a lot of talk about dodgy copies and AF problems (that Tamron UK has repeatedly denied) but IMHO there is much greater difference between photographers and long-lens techniques. Used well, in good conditions, and this lens delivers.
Fair comment Richard. Somebody I know has one on order, so i`ll retract my previous comment until I actually use one for myself.

I'm pretty pleased with the results so far from mine - see below.

One thing I have noticed that I'm not happy about is that linear out-of-focus backgrounds (eg a branch or twig) sometimes have repeating parallel patterns rather like a visual echo. Has anyone else noticed this?

<snip>

Great shot Jeremy :)

Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you shoot through a wire fence and close to it, at a zoo for example, the fence will be invisible as a subject but the bokeh will pick up the pattern in the blur. Not a fault as such.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer Ade. :rolleyes:
look forward to it Carl. I genuinely hope I'm wrong and that this lens does what it should and does it really well.

So if I got two shots together, one from the tamron and another from a nikon 600mm f4, you are 100% sure you'd be able to tell the difference?

I'm not 100% sure I could based on what I've seen.

Stuarts copy of the sigma 150-500mm, another one that rivals the big primes - based on what I've seen of course.
That is not the point I'm worried about Phil. I am
concerned that the af will not be up to speed, if that is the case then I'm sure i could, as the prime will nail he subject whilst the zoom is still hunting. From a wildlife point of view. That said, i hope i am wrong and this lens is the canines accroutrements

Last edited:
tbh, I'm not expecting miracles with it & possibly it not being quite as good as the Nikon 80-400 (of which mine also suffered with internal dust, after 3 months light use) but for me as an infrequent wildlife/bird shooter & for the price, hopefully it will be good enough.

Back