Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

Edit My Images
Yes
Have any of you guys got or used the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens?

A colleague of mine is looking to buy his first DSLR this week and has narrowed it down to the D90, but the kit lenses available seem rubbish to me (18-105mm, 18-200, 18-55 VR). I was looking for a standard zoom lens to advise him on in his price range and the Tamron seems liek a good choice.

Any comments?

I use it and absolutely love it. I've read reviews that say some copies have front focusing issues, but I've never had that issue. Sharp as a tack in my portrait work.

It does make a distinct noise when AFing, but it doesn't bother me. I actually like the noise. lol

Luke, chime in bro. :D

Excellent lens, I've had the older one without a focus motor, and now have the newer version with a motor for my D60.

I find the lens a superb performer.

I'll throw-in my vote for this excellent lens. Sharp, relatively light, and wonderful overall performance. I sold it when I got the 24-70 AF-S, and now regret doing that ... I love its range more than the Nikon which isn't wide enough, at times.

I'm going to save up for one of these next year when I get my new camera, looks the ticket and all the reviews sound pretty good.

Yep, ridiculously good lens. Wouldn`t trade mine for a more expensive Canon alternative.

Actually...now we`re on the subject. I dropped mine from a table onto a hard floor last week. It makes a very slight click when I tilt it backwards and forwards (not attached to camera during test). I`m not sure if it made this noise before or not. I fear that a may have jarred an element loose, however, shots still seem very sharp.

Is this click normal? I`d be very happy if you all said `yes`.

dropped mine from a table onto a hard floor last week. It makes a very slight click when I tilt it backwards and forwards (not attached to camera during test). I`m not sure if it made this noise before or not. I fear that a may have jarred an element loose, however, shots still seem very sharp.

Is this click normal? I`d be very happy if you all said `yes`.
I don't think I've ever head a 'click' like that. Sorry.

I've got one, and I too can only say good things about it.
Sharp as hell, neat and compact.
Lens hood is also very sturdy and tough.

Stunning lens, for the right price.........

I'll throw-in my vote for this excellent lens. Sharp, relatively light, and wonderful overall performance. I sold it when I got the 24-70 AF-S, and now regret doing that ... I love its range more than the Nikon which isn't wide enough, at times.

Its lenses like the Tamron 17-50 that still keep me in the DX camp with my D60.

To get this sort of level of optical performance on full frame, you are looking at the £1k 24-70 really.

I love my nifty fifty on my D60 (manual focus) for indoor low light portraits, would the 17-50 Tamrom be a good alternative to buying the new AF-S 50mm F1.4 when it comes out? They are about the same price...

I love my nifty fifty on my D60 (manual focus) for indoor low light portraits, would the 17-50 Tamrom be a good alternative to buying the new AF-S 50mm F1.4 when it comes out? They are about the same price...

I've got the new 50mm f/1.4 AF-S on order, own the Tamron 17-50..

I'll let you know (I don't do low light portraits mind!)

I've got one of these and it's brilliant for the money.

I've owned both the 17-50 and the 28-75 XR Di Tamron lenses. Both were sharp and are good value for money. I have to say though that when compared to the Canon L lenses that I now have, that the Tamron's lacked colour vibrancy.

I have to go against the grain and say I'm not too fussed for my Tamron 17-50. It's alright. I did have an issue where the front part of the lens became loose. It's a relatively simple (and common) repair but I wasn't thrilled about doing it. For the money it's very good however.

to be fair, i would be very surprised if the lens could compare to a prime(never owned one). but in general the 50mm prime will be substantially better, and a lot better in low light. but you only have 50mm focal length which is why zooms are more popular

I'm using the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 and that really does feel like having multiple primes in one. I did some low-level light shooting and didn't change to my 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8 once.

This, of course, comes at a price.....one I'll be paying off over the next 12 months!!!!

I'm still going to hang on to my Tamron 17-50 as I don't feel ready to splash out for an ultra-wide lens......just yet. Miss the 8mm from the wide end :(

Back