Tanfield Railway

Edit My Images
Yes
These are pictures (I dislike the word 'images' that reminds me some heathen religion) of the Tanfield Railway, which is arguably the oldest railway in the world which started running on wooden rails around 1715 with horse drawn wooden wagons taking coal to the River Tyne. Around the start of the 19thC the rails were replaced with iron and the horses used in part but now hauled by steam engines pulling the wagons by way of a rope. Later in the early part of the 19thC steam locomotives were used to do all the hard work.

Now only a fraction of it's original length (about 3 miles) and another section completely vanished it, is entirely run by volunteers keeping the heritage alive. The 3 B&W picture are inside the locomotive shed also the oldest in the world still used for it's original purpose (built 1859) and thanks to the Heritage Lottery fund, now totally restored.

Further down the line where an older spur ran over the Causey Arch which is the oldest railway bridge still standing but now only used by cycles and pedestrians. That will be my next set.

Attachments

• Tanfield 01.jpg
    Tanfield 01.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Tanfield  02.jpg
    Tanfield 02.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Tanfield 03.jpg
    Tanfield 03.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 32
  • tanfield 04.jpg
    tanfield 04.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Tanfield 05.jpg
    Tanfield 05.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 32
A fine set, especially in the shed. Be interesting to know the film and developer you used.

Last edited:
A strong set of pictures. Tanfield is only about 20 minutes away from me and one of my favourite places for photography. I preferred it before the engive shed was tidied up as there were more incidental objects to photograph.
The restoration of the shed was more or less forced upon them through various HSE issues, Do you remember the main doors that were rebuilt before-hand because they were cracking and the place would have had to be closed down, that was down to ground subsidence. Not surprising really because the shed had stood upon Marley Hill colliery for all its life. Then the inspection pits were on the move as well.
The roof was leaking like a sieve and birds used to get in and nest and of course c**p on the locomotives which had to be cleaned off. The old forge in the far left hand corner was crumbling away, but that has been taken to pieces and the bricks stored, but it is intended to rebuild it as a working forge. Then of course the electrics would have been more at home in the Victoria and Albert museum.
The new floor was laid but nothing was allowed to be stored in there for several months until the concrete had set. I don't know how long for the mix once set undisturbed in sterile state makes for an exceedingly hard wearing surface. Apart from everything else it is a better working environment.

The restoration of the shed was more or less forced upon them through various HSE issues, Do you remember the main doors that were rebuilt before-hand because they were cracking and the place would have had to be closed down, that was down to ground subsidence. Not surprising really because the shed had stood upon Marley Hill colliery for all its life.
Indeed - I appreciate that safety comes first and the place does not exist for the benefit of photographers.

Back