Non UK Tasmania locations

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I'm off to Melbourne and Tasmania in September and would be interested if anybody knew of some cool locations for some basic astro photography? I was looking at Mt Welington but other suggestions would be most welcome.

Do you have an empty pocket for me somewhere?
This is a dream destination in my book!

Have a good time!

Narawntapu National Park
Cradle Valley
- both have little light pollution.
Houn

Binalong Bay could give a good foreground.

Great Ocean Road in Victoria if you get a chance to leave Melbourne.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emcw/albums/72157621331091604

Thank I will give them a look, I have driven the great ocean road twice now from Melbourne to Port Fairy and will no doubt do it again a sit is such an amazing place, plan to stay a few days in Apollo Bay anyway lol.

Depends - you say Tasmania, but where are you planning to go, and for how long in each? It's not uncommon for tourists to drive 2000km in 2 weeks in our little state, and it'll take longer for you to drive than it would on that darn northern island.
Anyways, if close to Hobart, Mount Wellington you'll find bloody cold for astro! And potentially be in the snow and wind too.
South, areas around Howden are popular for auroras as there are a couple bluffs that are exposed to the south/south east. South east, on the Tasman Peninsula are some good spots. Mount Pleasant Radio Observatory, a little east of Hobart, has good conditions too.
Depending on plans shortish drives on the Midland Hwy might suit you. Not huge amounts of traffic at night, about as flat as you get in Tassie, and some old towns you might be able to get night shots of too.
Let me know if you're after more info!

.. I am not an astrophotographer so can't comment on appropriateness of conditions but had fab time in Tas .. I'd guess that the following would be good spots:

Cradle Mountain. You can stay overnight in the park at the Waldheim cabins. Very highly recommended indeed.
Mount Field national park - fairly close to Hobart. Wide variety of scenery & conditions.
Maria Island - basically deserted but again, you can stay overnight with planning
Bruny Island - possibly my favourite place anywhere:

S1040033-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Depends - you say Tasmania, but where are you planning to go, and for how long in each? It's not uncommon for tourists to drive 2000km in 2 weeks in our little state, and it'll take longer for you to drive than it would on that darn northern island.
Anyways, if close to Hobart, Mount Wellington you'll find bloody cold for astro! And potentially be in the snow and wind too.
South, areas around Howden are popular for auroras as there are a couple bluffs that are exposed to the south/south east. South east, on the Tasman Peninsula are some good spots. Mount Pleasant Radio Observatory, a little east of Hobart, has good conditions too.
Depending on plans shortish drives on the Midland Hwy might suit you. Not huge amounts of traffic at night, about as flat as you get in Tassie, and some old towns you might be able to get night shots of too.
Let me know if you're after more info!

Hi and thanks for the reply, we are spending 5 days there and will be in Hobart for sure but not much else planned yet so will go where the wind takes me lol

No worries. Hope you have a good time, but contact me anyway if you need more info :)

No worries. Hope you have a good time, but contact me anyway if you need more info :)
I'm going to do a bit more research this weekend and I'm sure there are 1000's of amazing places to see so yes I may well do.
many thanks.

Back