Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year

Name
Annet
Edit My Images
No

I find this choice a bit questionable, because while I do like her music, have been following her for years and could probably make a 3 hour long smartshow 3d slideshow about her achievements or meaning behind her lyrics, I don't think she actually impacts the world or society that much, you know? I think Taylor is talented and pretty hardworking, but that impacts her career and personal wellbeing way more than it impacts the world. However, some people from the list for 2023 would be an even worse choice, so let it be this way. Also I liked the picture of her with her cat :D

1701949257413.png

What does TP think?

difficult one i guess she is a bit of a poster child of young people with a fairly clean record
quite rare these days among pop sensations

difficult one i guess she is a bit of a poster child of young people with a fairly clean record
quite rare these days among pop sensations
True, she's been keeping up with her girl-next-door image for years and now it serves her well!

True, she's been keeping up with her girl-next-door image for years and now it serves her well!

of course she is now apparently dating a football player so it will all go bad now like poor whitney houston and drugs n booze.

of course she is now apparently dating a football player so it will all go bad now like poor whitney houston and drugs n booze.
Ugh, this relationship looks so strange to me because details of it are everywhere and it gets annoying. I hope it won't go down in flames, but it doesn't look great either :rolleyes:

I find this choice a bit questionable, because while I do like her music, have been following her for years and could probably make a 3 hour long smartshow 3d slideshow about her achievements or meaning behind her lyrics, I don't think she actually impacts the world or society that much, you know? I think Taylor is talented and pretty hardworking, but that impacts her career and personal wellbeing way more than it impacts the world. However, some people from the list for 2023 would be an even worse choice, so let it be this way. Also I liked the picture of her with her cat :D

View attachment 408571

What does TP think?

I had to look back at the pic to check it was a cat, at first glance I didn't see the cat's face and thought it was some type of wooly scarf :ROFLMAO:

I have 2 teen daughters, one adores her, the other likes the odd song ... I've no opinion on her personally, it's just harmless pop music, but person of the year?? Bit baffling that one!

She seems completely inconsequential to me, a product of western pop culture. Someone like Narges Mohammadi is enormously more influential and courageous, although she has been recognised by another award, and may therefore be 'unavailable'.

I remember seeing her many years ago on TV, Sky I think at a live outdoor concert when she must have been around 15 and I'd never heard of her and thinking wow. A very little girl with a very big guitar but will probably go far.

There often seems to be an automatic prejudice against successful people, we tend to like a struggling underdog. Of course Time picked her for the reflected glory but she has done a lot more than the "average" pop star such as rerecording her early albums so that she owned her own work.

She is very influential, her fan base is huge and very loyal. So encouraging her millions of fans to register to vote, and using her platform to fight against racial injustice and in support of LGBTQ+ rights, could have a big impact.

Back