Teaching Photography in India opportunity

Name
wayne
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_3676_zps5791e9b8.jpg

Hello All,

I have just spoken to the moderators and have been given permission to post this on here as its to support a charity, I had no idea what section to put in though

Last August I took part in a photography trip to India where I taught boys who live in a orphanage Photography. The boys have very good schooling in Maths, English and Science but don't have many creative outlets, this experience gave them something creative to do and they loved it!

You can see a small video I made of my trip last August:
https://vimeo.com/29052781

The trip was organised by the charity Basti Ram (http://www.bastiram.org/) who work with children both in the UK and India, they have projects including a mobile school, photography projects and teaching in rural schools.

While I was taking part in the project I spent a couple of hours teaching in a rural school in Rajasthan where I was teaching maths and English to small children, you can see them looking at their selves on my phone as I film them in the video above. They were great kids, so caring and willing to learn, and always excited to see you.

The boys loved the photography so much, and they learnt so fast that the project has continued and is now in the second stage. This March I will be returning to India to take part in teaching the third stage of photography to the boys.

There are spaces available on the trip and if you would like to join me please contact me on:
WayneBastiRam@Gmail.com or PM me on here.

the price of the trip is £1200 and that includes your accommodation, food and travel within the project. You will need to add flights to India and your visa to this.

The next trip is taking part in March 2013 for 2 weeks over the Holi fastival of colour. so scenes like in this video will be there to capture:

https://vimeo.com/40123818

There are so many photography experiences for the participants im sure everyone will get something amazing out of it.

Wayne

IMG_3649_zps89f96b3f.jpg

I gave a talk to the students of Northampton University about this project yesterday and we have about 5 people interested from there. looks like its shaping up to be a good one!

I would love to do this kind of thing but I can't see my school giving me time off, especially at that time of year.

However, if you would like assistance prepping resources for the trip, I might be able to help. I teach Photography GCSE and A Level so may have a few bits which might be relevant to your needs.

Cheers

Spooks

Could you provide a breakdown of where the £1200 goes?

I was in India with my girlfriend for 5 weeks and between 2 of us we spent about £500 including lots of travelling and sight-seeing and not really scrimping on accomodation.

NB. This isn't meant in a criticising way! Just a genuine question as to how the money is spent on the project.

Deserves another bump. Would love to take part in this but my holidays are planned for this year.

Would work better if participants were allowed to work out their own costings. I mean, it just doesn't cost £1200 for a two week trip to Rajasthan. As long as most of this money goes to the charity though, I think it's a good idea overall :)

Last edited:
If I was younger, and had no commitments here, I'd be there like a shot. Good luck with it... I envy you.

Could you provide a breakdown of where the £1200 goes?

I was in India with my girlfriend for 5 weeks and between 2 of us we spent about £500 including lots of travelling and sight-seeing and not really scrimping on accomodation.

NB. This isn't meant in a criticising way! Just a genuine question as to how the money is spent on the project.

I'd be a bit more forward and say that price seems the same as most of the other gap year holiday trip charities. None of the "costs" I like with them either, especially as most say that is how much it costs to have you on the trip, rather than being a substantial "donation", with your costs being a small part of it.

Back