Beginner Technical basics

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I don't make videos, just short clips, although I do have an idea for one which I might have a go at one day.

I've tried searching for video basics but all the internet wants to tell me is how to plan a video ou or how to edit it. All I want to know is what frame rates are best suited to what. What their effects are, and how shutter speed affects video.

Or shall I carry on leaving the settings in my DSLR and compacts at default and shoot away?

Thanks in advance.

This is about as serious as I've got!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGmOIo7VfE&ab_channel=DaveLumb

These videos might help:

Shutter speed - here.

Frame rate - here.

What lens to use - here.

Depth of field - here.

A very good page with a lot of information as they breakdown scenes from films and explain how they were filmed and why and how different shots can make a huge difference,if you take in 10% of what they are saying your videos will improve.

These videos might help:

Shutter speed - here.

Frame rate - here.

What lens to use - here.

Depth of field - here.

A very good page with a lot of information as they breakdown scenes from films and explain how they were filmed and why and how different shots can make a huge difference,if you take in 10% of what they are saying your videos will improve.
Thanks for that. It's cleared things up for me. (y)

I'll not need to do anything special I'm not thinking of making a movie, just simple documentary stuff. It looks a good channel though, so I'll delve into it further out of interest.

Thanks both. I'm good to go now. If I ever get anything made I'll post it on TP.

Hi Ed,
Studio binder is an excellent resource as @ScottT mentioned. I'd recommend shooting at 24fps to start out (maybe 25fps if you want to make maths easier with slow-motion). The video resources above have probably already taught you this, but your brain will be most seeing video at these framerates, and maybe when you're just starting out this will get you a lot closer to the look and feel of the video you were expecting.

Also, audio is super important, but you can always get hold of foley and sound effects (SFX) online after the fact, leaving you free to focus on your shot when filming. (The professionals usually leave audio to the other professionals for the same reason.)

Hi Ed,
Studio binder is an excellent resource as @ScottT mentioned. I'd recommend shooting at 24fps to start out (maybe 25fps if you want to make maths easier with slow-motion). The video resources above have probably already taught you this, but your brain will be most seeing video at these framerates, and maybe when you're just starting out this will get you a lot closer to the look and feel of the video you were expecting.

Also, audio is super important, but you can always get hold of foley and sound effects (SFX) online after the fact, leaving you free to focus on your shot when filming. (The professionals usually leave audio to the other professionals for the same reason.)
Thanks. I had wondered about fps, but had reached the conclusion that 24fps is where it's at for starters. (y)

Dave I am the same as you only do short clip but bit longer than yours I prefer

My advise for what it is worth is start off with a camcorder, something designed to take videos. When I tried with my Nikon DSLR what happens is unless using a prime lens the sound of the autofocus from the lens gets picked up on the camera built in microphone. Been there and got the tshirt so to speak, it is not worth it.
So which camcorder? I had a Panasonic HC-x900m 1080p type camcorder for 10 years and produced for me good videos. That eventually gave up the ghost so got a Sony dr ax53 and it did everything except the settings i wanted. with this one if for example you set aperture everything else fell in line and you are stuck with it. Soon got rid of pretty damn quick. Sp back to panasonic with a HC-X1500 version and it is truly fantastic but a bit pricey.
So ask yourself do you want to go 4k or 1080p?

with a camcorder zooming in/out is so smooth no lens to change. you just can't do this on a DSLR
example from my recent trip to norway and inside the artic circle

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO492YO6NZg

the cost of camcorders are not expensive and well worth consideration If going 4K I have found a couple of editing suites that can handle so PM if you deide

Sound? it is not in your windy beach example do you want stereo of directional or both in one micrphone got all three types so can advise
I'm not going to get a camcorder.And I don't need 4k. I'm not that interested in making video. It's more a whim than a desire to make 'proper videos'. Near enough will do for me, just as it does with stills. I might even end up making slideshows of stills with audio voice overs, or both, or just the audio interviews. Undecided as yet.

I've found my compact does as good a job as my DSLRs for what I want to do, albeit with fewer controls but I'm cool with that. Either will suffice for my purposes as the compact takes up no room and I always have a DSLR with me.

I'm not being ungrateful, I've had more than enough advice from everyone in this thread, thank you all.

If, very big if, I get serious about video I'm sure to come back for more help. ;)

All I want to know is what frame rates are best suited to what. What their effects are, and how shutter speed affects video.

To answer this specific question:

- in most situations 24 or 25 fps as above with shutter speed 1/50th.
- very fast moving subjects 50 or 60 fps with shutter speed 1/100th or 1/120th

- normally, the shutter is open for half of the time between frames. In extremely low light you might want to slow the shutter speed, just be wary of too much motion blur.

Enjoy!

To answer this specific question:

- in most situations 24 or 25 fps as above with shutter speed 1/50th.
- very fast moving subjects 50 or 60 fps with shutter speed 1/100th or 1/120th

- normally, the shutter is open for half of the time between frames. In extremely low light you might want to slow the shutter speed, just be wary of too much motion blur.

Enjoy!
I doubt there'll be any fast moving subjects, so I think I might be able to remember that. (y)

I doubt there'll be any fast moving subjects, so I think I might be able to remember that. (y)
But you have the option to film normal movement at 50/60fps then slow the action to half speed, that helps if you have panned to quickly, it also makes slightly jerky movements a bit smoother by slowing them down.

But you have the option to film normal movement at 50/60fps then slow the action to half speed, that helps if you have panned to quickly, it also makes slightly jerky movements a bit smoother by slowing them down.
Interesting point on panning. I avoid panning as much as possible as results are often unsatisfactory due to blur or judder. In my experience, it's ok when the pan is slow or tracking a moving subject.

I want to definitely respect that the OP said that they've had enough advice, but would just clear something up here. While shooting at double the framerate is a good tool for half-speed video, and slow motion does reduce the appearance of shakes, I wouldn't recommend it to people starting out. It's often seen as a cure-all and actually gets people into a bit of trouble later on.

This is because if you shoot at 60fps (I'll use 60 here, but 50 or 48 does the same) and edit it on a 30fps timeline you have to slow it down in order to reduce judders. If you decide that you actually like the shot at full speed, you'll make any shakes much worse because you're frame dropping, so you're actually introducing more movement between pixels, than if you'd shot at 30fps. This can be exacerbated depending on your focal length, the refresh rate of the screen the final video is being viewed on,

I would always recommend a beginner shooting 24fps 1/50th sec (1/48 if your camera can do that), and only changing that if it makes sense for the shot you want. The goal, like with photography, is to use the tools you have to tell a story, which generally means planning ahead for the type of shot you want.
Interesting point on panning. I avoid panning as much as possible as results are often unsatisfactory due to blur or judder. In my experience, it's ok when the pan is slow or tracking a moving subject.
Have you seen Red's panning speed calculator? Great little tool https://www.red.com/panning-speed

Add on: If you can operate a camera without shake at 24fps, then you'll just get better images, regardless of your framerate.

Last edited:
I want to definitely respect that the OP said that they've had enough advice, but would just clear something up here. While shooting at double the framerate is a good tool for half-speed video, and slow motion does reduce the appearance of shakes, I wouldn't recommend it to people starting out. It's often seen as a cure-all and actually gets people into a bit of trouble later on.

This is because if you shoot at 60fps (I'll use 60 here, but 50 or 48 does the same) and edit it on a 30fps timeline you have to slow it down in order to reduce judders. If you decide that you actually like the shot at full speed, you'll make any shakes much worse because you're frame dropping, so you're actually introducing more movement between pixels, than if you'd shot at 30fps. This can be exacerbated depending on your focal length, the refresh rate of the screen the final video is being viewed on,

I would always recommend a beginner shooting 24fps 1/50th sec (1/48 if your camera can do that), and only changing that if it makes sense for the shot you want. The goal, like with photography, is to use the tools you have to tell a story, which generally means planning ahead for the type of shot you want.

Have you seen Red's panning speed calculator? Great little tool https://www.red.com/panning-speed

Add on: If you can operate a camera without shake at 24fps, then you'll just get better images, regardless of your framerate.
Thanks! The panning speed calculator looks great! It's indicating about a minute for a 90-degree pan with 50mm focal length and HD resolution on approx full frame sensor.....this confirms slow!

I use for panning as a rough guide is counting 7/9 seconds for and object to cross the viewing screen, seems to work for me

I use for panning as a rough guide is counting 7/9 seconds for and object to cross the viewing screen, seems to work for me
That sounds about right, quite slow, no?

Back