Tell me about MF cameras

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the mood for experimenting with some cheap MF action as my KM5D sits in it's bag gathering dust. I've never used it before and my film experience is based on an olympus slr and APS cameras. Won't let that stop me.

I've looked at Holgas which are cheap enough and could be a larf but I'd like to know more about the ones which shoot from the hip. I thought they were hiding massive viewfinders which would be easy on my eyesight but then I saw this one on ebay which has a magnifying glass to look through. The lubitel seems to be in plentiful supply at cheap prices.

what other options are there for not much money? Not sure whether to get something like a Holga where soft images are expected and welcomed or something where I might expect too much for the money I'm paying.

Any pointers for mail order labs which will scan the images to CD too? Developing myself is definately one step too far.

Cheers peeps,
Kev

Have a look at the Mamiya C220 and C330 Twin Lens Reflex Cameras on fleabay. Beautiful cameras of their time and still very usable. There's a parallax issue when you start moving very close, due to the two lenses, but there's a very accurate parallax compensation bar which is visible in the viewfinder. No magazine backs though, so you're not going to do any big weddings with it.

You'd be surprised at the prices you can pick up good SLR MF cameras for too, and they usually have the mag back and no parallax problems. ;)

Any pointers for mail order labs which will scan the images to CD too? Developing myself is definately one step too far.

Cheers peeps,
Kev

Still looking into this myself, but it seems there are a few, and Jessops will do it although they send them away,

The maginfing glass is only for checking the focus, it does indeed have a big viewfinder

I think every medium format TLR camera has the same magnifier becaus the actual screen is too far away from the eye to guage the focus

There's a parallax issue when you start moving very close, due to the two lenses, but there's a very accurate parallax compensation bar which is visible in the viewfinder. No magazine backs though, so you're not going to do any big weddings with it.
Back up there a bit CT. What's this twin lens issue thingy, how does that work? Magazine backs too? Wouldn't do a wedding for winning lottery numbers mate, just want to try something different, another way of working.

The maginfing glass is only for checking the focus, it does indeed have a big viewfinder

I think every medium format TLR camera has the same magnifier becaus the actual screen is too far away from the eye to guage the focus

Perfect answer, cheers mate.

Kev, if your that keen, i have the self same camera in better condition somewhere, i never use it so its yours for the cost of postage if you want it i would sooner see it being used rather than gathering dust in a box somewhere:)

What's this twin lens issue thingy, how does that work?

It's really simple, you see through the top lens and the film looks out of the bottom one. Which means that when you get really close to stuff, the two lenses actually see a slightly different picture. That's called parralax error.

It's exactly the same as looking through one eye, then seeing the difference looking through the other.

TLR's (twin lens reflexes) are great cameras and can take superb images but I have to say that I've never got on with them myself.

You Groucho are a gent and I will gladly take you up on the offer. I'll PM you in the next couple of days with an address. Do they need a battery for the hotshoe to work or not?

Cheers for the explanation Dazza, shouldn't be a problem for what I have in mind.

You Groucho are a gent and I will gladly take you up on the offer. I'll PM you in the next couple of days with an address. Do they need a battery for the hotshoe to work or not?

Cheers for the explanation Dazza, shouldn't be a problem for what I have in mind.

No Battery needed mate, because there is no hotshoe, you are going back to basics here, its Russian after all:)

The one I was looking at had a hotshoe on the side.

u80422-26.JPG

pretty sure that's just a bracket. There's probably a trigger socket on the lens though. :)

Think I've found the answer here. Time to get a sync cable ordered.

Strangely mine does not have even an accessory shoe but it does have the flash sinc on the side of the lens, but i also have a few old flashes with the attached sinc lead which may work, i will have to have a dig around in the next couple of days to see what i can come up with,

Just wanted to say a big public thanks to Barry, the camera he donated me arrived this morning and it's bloody immaculate, I can't wait to get started. This forum rocks.

Thanks Barry, I owe you one.

How about a mamia7 or older version, could also be a MF to try, Quite a lot of passions is needed for it though, lol!
In addition, my fav is Bronica SQB!
Be weary of buying a second hand because, as I found out when developing my film, it came out under exposed. I had the technician explain the aperture priority was not working!

Back