telling which photo was taken with FF or MFT or CROP

Edit My Images
Yes
if someone posted some photos how many people would get the correct answer say out of 10 photos?

Im not talking say 3 photos of the same subject just random photos taken with 3 systems.

Realistically, in good lighting I'd bet a lot of people (particularly actual paying clients) wouldn't have a clue. I saw Chris Gampat (The Phoblographer) posted a similar article the other day showing three photos of the same product under the same lighting shot with 3 different systems and it was pretty difficult to tell them apart.

Last edited:
I guess that only 2-3 percent of people would correctly match each photo to the sensor format used.

Anyone got all the systems with the right lenses to do this?

Would be interesting to see.

Under ideal conditions it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible. However if the limits were being pushed then I think it would be much less difficult to tell between M43 and the others, although the best APS-C sensors are now doing an incredible job of handling high ISO noise & DR.

Assuming they were all shot at equivalent FoV and DoF and in good light then I would bet my mortgage that unless viewed at 100% (and probably even if they were) it would be no more than the statistical average got it right.

This is why I ended up selling all my FF kit for m43, I was having to look at 100% and actually look hard for differences to see them and seeing as I don't need wafer thin DoF then FF has nothing to offer me really.

As already stated it's very difficult. I own or have owned FF, APS-C (DSLR and mirrorless), and m4/3 and the differences can be negligible/indistinguishable. Of course a lot of this is lens dependant too.

I think trying it with little pictures posted here is going to be pretty difficult. On screen and in print at home maybe easier :D

Back when I had my Canon DSLR's I tried comparison shots between my MFT Panny G1 and APS-C Canon 20D and FF 5D and believe it or not it was even a close call with the 5D in anything but the extremes of ISO and DoF. In fact in difficult lighting such as harsh light and shadow it was easier for me to get the shot first time with the G1. More on that later. I tried on screen and printed shots and the people I roped in were mostly baffled. The last time I tried I was showing G1 and 5D shots printed to fill an A4 sheet and the person I'd roped in saw the first shot and excitedly exclaimed "I want this picture" (I can't remember which camera took it) which was nice for me as I took the shot :D but pretty pointless for the test except that it proved to me that non geeks just don't care and just look at the picture :D That was back then with what is now old kit but I expect the same to be pretty much true these days too as every system has moved on.

I've done more recent comparisons just for myself with my Sony A7 and MFT G7 and GX7 and I can see differences but I'm not sure they matter except at the extremes of ISO, dynamic range, noise and pixel peeping.

I took these shots whilst standing in the same spot, one with the FF A7 and 35mm f2.8 at f8 and one with the MFT GX7 and 17mm f1.8 at f4. They're both ok. The framing is different and one is 3:2 and the other 4:3 but maybe these things don't matter. If I zoom in to 100% the A7 shot is sharper but in a whole image I don't think it matters.

The following are the kind of shot that convinced me that my time with a FF DSLR was nearing its end. They were taken with my old Panasonic G1 and an old manual focus lens. They may not look exciting but the point was a harsh light test and the light was very harsh and even though the G1 lacks dynamic range compared to the 5D it was still easy to get a usable shot first time by keeping an eye on the histogram and knowing how far to push it and still protect the highlights and be able to boost the shadows a bit post capture. With the DSLR I'd probably have had to take more than one shot to make sure I'd got one which would protect the highlights and allow me to boost the shadows. I know this is a slightly different topic to image quality and telling a FF DSLR shot from a smaller format shot but they do show a scenario in which having in view aids helps to get the shot.

I'm a bit of a believer in starting at the end and working backwards and by that I mean considering the final output be it either on screen or in print and then working out how to get it. I rarely print these days and the biggest I've ever printed is A3 and most of my pictures are viewed on screen and zapped off around the world electronically 2,000 pixels wide. So that's my criteria, shots need to look good on screen and be occasionally printed. I've seen pictures I've emailed off 2,000 pixels wide printed, framed and on someones wall and they look fine.

So, all this has convinced me that mostly for me image quality is pretty much not something to worry too much about at low to even quite high ISO settings. Keeping the crop factor in mind helps, for eg. if I shoot FF at f8 I shoot MFT at f4, ETTR may help and processing each shot for best effect helps too but mostly I don't worry too much :D Wedding togs, astro photographers and those who shoot birds in flight at midnight may have different criteria.

Last edited:
I think trying it with little pictures posted here is going to be pretty difficult. On screen and in print at home maybe easier :D

Back when I had my Canon DSLR's I tried comparison shots between my MFT Panny G1 and APS-C Canon 20D and FF 5D and believe it or not it was even a close call with the 5D in anything but the extremes of ISO and DoF. In fact in difficult lighting such as harsh light and shadow it was easier for me to get the shot first time with the G1. More on that later. I tried on screen and printed shots and the people I roped in were mostly baffled. The last time I tried I was showing G1 and 5D shots printed to fill an A4 sheet and the person I'd roped in saw the first shot and excitedly exclaimed "I want this picture" (I can't remember which camera took it) which was nice for me as I took the shot :D but pretty pointless for the test except that it proved to me that non geeks just don't care and just look at the picture :D That was back then with what is now old kit but I expect the same to be pretty much true these days too as every system has moved on.

I've done more recent comparisons just for myself with my Sony A7 and MFT G7 and GX7 and I can see differences but I'm not sure they matter except at the extremes of ISO, dynamic range, noise and pixel peeping.

I took these shots whilst standing in the same spot, one with the FF A7 and 35mm f2.8 at f8 one with the MFT GX7 and 17mm f1.8 at f4. They're both ok. The framing is different and one is 3:2 and the other 4:3 but maybe these things don't matter. If I zoom in to 100% the A7 shot is sharper but in a whole image I don't think it matters.

The following are the kind of shot that convinced me that my time with a FF DSLR was nearing its end. They were taken with my old Panasonic G1 and an old manual focus lens. They may not look exciting but the point was a harsh light test and the light was very harsh and even though the G1 lacks dynamic range compared to the 5D it was still easy to get a usable shot first time by keeping an eye on the histogram and knowing how far to push it and still protect the highlights and be able to boost the shadows a bit post capture. With the DSLR I'd probably have had to take more than one shot to make sure I'd got one which would protect the highlights and allow me to boost the shadows. I know this is a slightly different topic to image quality and telling a FF DSLR shot from a smaller format shot but they do show a scenario in which having in view aids helps to get the shot.

I'm a bit of a believer in starting at the end and working backwards and by that I mean considering the final output be it either on screen or in print and then working out how to get it. I rarely print these days and the biggest I've ever printed is A3 and most of my pictures are viewed on screen and zapped off around the world electronically 2,000 pixels wide. So that's my criteria, shots need to look good on screen and be occasionally printed. I've seen pictures I've emailed off 2,000 pixels wide printed, framed and on someones wall and they look fine.

So, all this has convinced me that mostly for me image quality is pretty much not something to worry too much about at low to even quite high ISO settings. Keeping the crop factor in mind helps, for eg. if I shoot FF at f8 I shoot MFT at f4, ETTR may help and processing each shot for best effect helps too but mostly I don't worry too much :D Wedding togs, astro photographers and those who shoot birds in flight at midnight may have different criteria.
Cheers for that,most interesting

As said, all can be quite similar in a lot of cases, and in others there would be fairly large and obvious differences.

Viewing JPEGs online of course introduces a bucket load of other variables.

You can see in Alan's examples above, the image from his A7 is in a different league to the one from the GX7. I've no idea about the lenses on either of those systems, but before reading the post I thought the GX7 image looked like it was taken with a point and shoot, whereas the A7 image was probably from something more serious (I'd have no idea whether it was full frame, crop, Sony, or whatever though!).

I shot a job last night that was bathed in pink light. The files off the 5D3s aren't amazing, but they coped OK. I bet if I'd shot it on a 'lesser' camera, it would be quite obvious that was the case.

You can see in Alan's examples above, the image from his A7 is in a different league to the one from the GX7.

What you're looking at here are 1,000 pixel wide images via Photobucket, I have the originals and they're not in different leagues. There are slight differences in colour and contrast but nothing that couldn't be equalised by moving the sliders about. The biggest differences are the ratios and the A7 image being sharper. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:
What you're looking at here are 1,000 pixel wide images via Photobucket, I have the originals and they're not in different leagues. There are slight differences in colour and contrast but nothing that couldn't be equalised by moving the sliders about. The biggest differences are the ratios and the A7 image being sharper.

As I said, "viewing JPEGs online of course introduces a bucket load of other variables."

The first image still looks like it came of a point n shoot though (as it did). Detail, dynamic range, contrast, colour depth, etc. are all clearly much better from the Sony, as you'd expect. Of course you could get them close, but one is always going to have more to give than the other. And so you'd hope for the price of each piece of kit.

As I said, "viewing JPEGs online of course introduces a bucket load of other variables."

The first image still looks like it came of a point n shoot though (as it did). Detail, dynamic range, contrast, colour depth, etc. are all clearly much better from the Sony, as you'd expect. Of course you could get them close, but one is always going to have more to give than the other. And so you'd hope for the price of each piece of kit.
Since when's the GX7 been a p&s? :eek:

i have to say i disagree with that. there is nothing in it that shows one camera to be that much higher end than another. yes there are differences but that could be down the in camera jpg processing algorithms and settings.

Thank you @woof woof, that's a great write-up.

Sure one is sharper but as often as not that's down to the lens.

I've not figured out which is which and deliberately choose not to, so for me the top one is the better image because of the angle of the gulls head and having all the boat in shot.

Looking at that reminded me of something I had to do at work when comparing ink optimisation software on the printed page (newspapers), both were saving a lot of money, one more than the other so we processed several pages side by side and compared and yes there were differences but so little as to not be relevant, but what I do remember at the time was saying that if you just looked at one you had no way of knowing which was processed by which and give the shots very kindly supplied above is how I feel here, for that kind of shot there really isn't anything in it.

One thing worth noting too for anyone that hasn't had the (mis)fortune of bumping into me before is that I've had several systems and almost always shoot wide open and up until recently was a full frame addict, so that may well colour my reply.

What I found interesting, just for myself was that I didn't care which system was which and just looked at the image, now had this been a different style of shot then the differences may well be more pronounced, so if you're into landscape that's just going on the net then I think you really can just go for whatever is most fun and\or convenient, great times to live in.

Last edited:
Just viewed the comparison shots on photobucket and it's really difficult to tell which one's which. Some parts of the image look better on the GX7 pic, some on the A7 pic. The only thing I would say is that the GX7 shot could do with a slight contrast boost, so I saved them, put them in LR and added contrast and now I can't tell a difference. Granted they are only small files so I can't pixel peep, but that's the point of these examples (y)

This is fascinating - I compared the 2 images and there seemed an obvious difference, with the second image appearing much cleaner & crisper than the first. This blows the theory out of the water that one can't tell with a 1000PX wide jpeg on the internet. This hasn't really made any difference to the ability of the image to tell a story, but it has made a difference to how we as photographers see a 'finished' image.

Exif data will give give a lot of that information

Alan your first photo of the boats

Standard Information
Make: Panasonic
Model: DMC-GX7
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
ImageSize: 1000x751
CreateDate: 2016:06:23 11:35:16
ModifyDate: 2016:10:22 00:30:54
DateTimeOriginal: 2016:06:23 11:35:16
ExposureTime: 1/1600"
Aperture: F4.0
MaxAperture: F1.8
CircleOfConfusion: 0.015 mm
HyperfocalDistance: 4.81 m
ExposureProgram: Aperture-priority AE
ExposureBiasValue: 0
MeteringMode: Multi-segment
Flash: Off, Did not fire
ISO: 200
WhiteBalance: As Shot
FocalLength: 17.0 mm
FocalLength35efl: 17.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 34.0 mm)
SensingMethod: One-chip color area
SceneType: Directly photographed
ColorSpace: Uncalibrated
Contrast: +52
Saturation: +6
Sharpness: 100

GPS Information

Other Information
APP14Flags0: [14]
APP14Flags1: (none)
AlreadyApplied: True
ApertureValue: 4.0
ApplicationRecordVersion: 56172
AutoLateralCA: 0
BitsPerSample: 8
Blacks2012: +25
BlueHue: 0
BlueMatrixColumn: 0.14919 0.06322 0.74457
BlueSaturation: 0
Brightness: +50
CMMFlags: Not Embedded, Independent
CameraProfile: Adobe Standard
CameraProfileDigest: 1DAA9EA30ECFDFB688C3E9562340D822
Clarity: +12
Clarity2012: +6
CodedCharacterSet: UTF8
ColorComponents: 3
ColorMode: 3
ColorNoiseReduction: 20
ColorNoiseReductionDetail: 15
ColorSpaceData: RGB
ColorTransform: YCbCr
Compression: JPEG (old-style)
ConnectionSpaceIlluminant: 0.9642 1 0.82491
Contrast2012: 0
ConvertToGrayscale: False
CreatorTool: Adobe DNG Converter 9.1.1 (Windows)
CurrentIPTCDigest: f88c46e9b440579fe9461050da690c75
CustomRendered: Normal
DCTEncodeVersion: 100
DateCreated: 2016:06:23 11:35:16
DateTimeCreated: 2016:06:23 11:35:16+00:00
Defringe: 0
DerivedFromDocumentID: xmp.did:17E6DDF6E497E611B58D89A2C4F4B2F4
DerivedFromInstanceID: xmp.iid:38AE6904E597E61195A9E83439DFF2F0
DerivedFromOriginalDocumentID: E1A87F7074E9B95314F0D2A7786E0B6A
DeviceAttributes: Reflective, Glossy, Positive, Color
DeviceManufacturer: none
DeviceModel
DigitalZoomRatio: 0
Directory: C:\Users\barry lloyd\Desktop
DisplayedUnitsX: inches
DisplayedUnitsY: inches
DocumentID: xmp.did:17E6DDF6E497E611B58D89A2C4F4B2F4
EncodingProcess: Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
ExifByteOrder: Little-endian (Intel, II)
ExifImageHeight: 751
ExifImageWidth: 1000
ExifVersion: 0230
Exposure: +0.30
Exposure2012: 0.00
ExposureMode: Auto
FNumber: 4.0
FOV: 55.8 deg
FileModifyDate: 2016:10:22 11:09:48+01:00
FileName: P1050345_zpswhknxiyr.jpg
FileSize: 848 kB
FileSource: Digital Camera
FileType: JPEG
FillLight: 44
FocalLengthIn35mmFormat: 34 mm
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit: cm
FocalPlaneXResolution: 2653.603729
FocalPlaneYResolution: 2653.603729
Format: image/jpeg
GainControl: Low gain up
GlobalAltitude: 30
GlobalAngle: 30
GrainAmount: 0
GreenHue: 0
GreenMatrixColumn: 0.20528 0.62567 0.06087
GreenSaturation: 0
HasCrop: False
HasSettings: True
HighlightRecovery: 29
Highlights2012: 0
HistoryAction: derived, saved, saved, saved, derived, saved, saved, converted, derived, saved
HistoryChanged: /, /metadata, /metadata, /, /, /
HistoryInstanceID: xmp.iid:a2d61cba-55b2-1543-8004-b814785e4106, xmp.iid:B4E996F14C39E61194A2F700A977630D, xmp.iid:C9B22C36AF39E611906089BB02A7CCDD, xmp.iid:17E6DDF6E497E611B58D89A2C4F4B2F4, xmp.iid:38AE6904E597E61195A9E83439DFF2F0, xmp.iid:39AE6904E597E61195A9E83439DFF2F0
HistoryParameters: converted from image/x-panasonic-raw to image/dng, saved to new location, converted from image/dng to image/tiff, from image/tiff to image/jpeg, converted from image/tiff to image/jpeg
HistorySoftwareAgent: Adobe DNG Converter 9.1.1 (Windows), Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 6.7 (Windows), Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 6.7 (Windows), Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 6.7 (Windows), Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows, Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
HistoryWhen: 2016:06:23 15:04:32+01:00, 2016:06:23 15:15:31+01:00, 2016:06:24 02:59:11+01:00, 2016:10:22 00:30:08+01:00, 2016:10:22 00:30:54+01:00, 2016:10:22 00:30:54+01:00
HueAdjustmentAqua: 0
HueAdjustmentBlue: 0
HueAdjustmentGreen: 0
HueAdjustmentMagenta: 0
HueAdjustmentOrange: 0
HueAdjustmentPurple: 0
HueAdjustmentRed: 0
HueAdjustmentYellow: 0
ICCProfileName: Adobe RGB (1998)
IPTCDigest: f88c46e9b440579fe9461050da690c75
ImageHeight: 751
ImageWidth: 1000
InstanceID: xmp.iid:39AE6904E597E61195A9E83439DFF2F0
Lens: OLYMPUS M.17mm F1.8
LensManualDistortionAmount: 0
LensProfileEnable: 0
LensProfileSetup: LensDefaults
LensSerialNumber: AC1220964
LightSource: Unknown
LightValue: 13.6
LuminanceAdjustmentAqua: 0
LuminanceAdjustmentBlue: 0
LuminanceAdjustmentGreen: 0
LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta: 0
LuminanceAdjustmentOrange: 0
LuminanceAdjustmentPurple: 0
LuminanceAdjustmentRed: 0
LuminanceAdjustmentYellow: 0
LuminanceNoiseReductionContrast: 10
LuminanceNoiseReductionDetail: 20
LuminanceSmoothing: 20
MaxApertureValue: 1.8
MediaBlackPoint: 0 0 0
MediaWhitePoint: 0.95045 1 1.08905
MetadataDate: 2016:10:22 00:30:54+01:00
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
OriginalDocumentID: E1A87F7074E9B95314F0D2A7786E0B6A
ParametricDarks: 0
ParametricHighlightSplit: 75
ParametricHighlights: 0
ParametricLights: 0
ParametricMidtoneSplit: 50
ParametricShadowSplit: 25
ParametricShadows: 0
PerspectiveHorizontal: 0
PerspectiveRotate: 0.0
PerspectiveScale: 100
PerspectiveVertical: 0
PhotoshopFormat: Standard
PhotoshopQuality: 12
PostCropVignetteAmount: 0
PrimaryPlatform: Apple Computer Inc.
ProcessVersion: 5.7
ProfileCMMType: ADBE
ProfileClass: Display Device Profile
ProfileConnectionSpace: XYZ
ProfileCopyright: Copyright 1999 Adobe Systems Incorporated
ProfileCreator: ADBE
ProfileDateTime: 1999:06:03 00:00:00
ProfileDescription: Adobe RGB (1998)
ProfileFileSignature: acsp
ProfileID: 0
ProfileVersion: 2.1.0
ProgressiveScans: 3 Scans
Rating: 0
RawFileName: P1050345.dng
RedHue: 0
RedMatrixColumn: 0.60974 0.31111 0.01947
RedSaturation: 0
RenderingIntent: Perceptual
ResolutionUnit: inches
SaturationAdjustmentAqua: 0
SaturationAdjustmentBlue: 0
SaturationAdjustmentGreen: 0
SaturationAdjustmentMagenta: 0
SaturationAdjustmentOrange: 0
SaturationAdjustmentPurple: 0
SaturationAdjustmentRed: 0
SaturationAdjustmentYellow: 0
ScaleFactor35efl: 2.0
SceneCaptureType: Standard
ShadowTint: 0
Shadows: 0
Shadows2012: 0
SharpenDetail: 10
SharpenEdgeMasking: 0
SharpenRadius: +0.7
ShutterSpeed: 1/1600
ShutterSpeedValue: 1/1600
SplitToningBalance: 0
SplitToningHighlightHue: 0
SplitToningHighlightSaturation: 0
SplitToningShadowHue: 0
SplitToningShadowSaturation: 0
Temperature: 4750
ThumbnailLength: 7771
ThumbnailOffset: 898
TimeCreated: 11:35:16+00:00
Tint: +22
ToneCurve: 0, 0, 32, 22, 64, 56, 128, 128, 192, 196, 255, 255
ToneCurveBlue: 0, 0, 255, 255
ToneCurveGreen: 0, 0, 255, 255
ToneCurveName: Medium Contrast
ToneCurveName2012: Linear
ToneCurvePV2012: 0, 0, 255, 255
ToneCurvePV2012Blue: 0, 0, 255, 255
ToneCurvePV2012Green: 0, 0, 255, 255
ToneCurvePV2012Red: 0, 0, 255, 255
ToneCurveRed: 0, 0, 255, 255
Version: 6.7
Vibrance: +5
VignetteAmount: 0
Whites2012: 0
XMPToolkit: Adobe XMP Core 5.0-c060 61.134777, 2010/02/12-17:32:00
XResolution: 240
YCbCrSubSampling: YCbCr4:4:4 (1 1)
YResolution: 240

Just a question of comparing one set of data with the other photo of the boats

Last edited:
Just viewed the comparison shots on photobucket and it's really difficult to tell which one's which. Some parts of the image look better on the GX7 pic, some on the A7 pic. The only thing I would say is that the GX7 shot could do with a slight contrast boost, so I saved them, put them in LR and added contrast and now I can't tell a difference. Granted they are only small files so I can't pixel peep, but that's the point of these examples (y)

So you're suggesting that the difference is down to how they're presented on TP? Weird.

Exif data will give give a lot of that information

Just a question of comparing one set of data with the other photo of the boats

Stating the obvious award goes to...

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but I reckon Alan has a pretty good idea about which is which as he took them and the point was looking at two images side by side, not reading the exif!

It is noticeable that some people have made their mind up years ago. Which drives their purchasing decisions still. They will also speak from that perspective on here and find themselves at odds with others who are more up to date.

Last edited:
if someone posted some photos how many people would get the correct answer say out of 10 photos?

Im not talking say 3 photos of the same subject just random photos taken with 3 systems.

Raw files, yes. I shoot five different sensor formats and can tell in post processing the differences between sensors (ie, FF, APSC and 1", not the actual cameras).

However, when processed, as long as the shots are within the physical limits of the sensor it's difficult to tell, as they are all processed with the same result in mind (if that same person processes them).

The difference between the formats, particularly with FF, is really the shot itself, and whether you'd have been able to take it in the first place with a 'lesser' format, such as in low light, achieving the right shutter speed and noise etc. We won't ever know as these photos won't get taken by 2/3 of users so we can't compare!

Last edited:
Raw files, yes. I shoot five different sensor formats and can tell in post processing the differences between sensors (ie, FF, APSC and 1", not the actual cameras).

However, when processed, as long as the shots are within the physical limits of the sensor it's difficult to tell, as they are all processed with the same result in mind (if that same person processes them).

The difference between the formats, particularly with FF, is really the shot itself, and whether you'd have been able to take it in the first place with a 'lesser' format, such as in low light, achieving the right shutter speed and noise etc. We won't ever know as these photos won't get taken by 2/3 of users so we can't compare!
Yes I think this is the bigger difference the ability to use under more difficult conditions

Sorry, my shots? Yes the GX7 shot could do with a boost and I could have used more sharpening if I wanted to pixel peep and be impressed. Both shots could be improved with processing but for screen viewing I think they're fine even though as you can possibly see the light wasn't great on the day anyway :D

The Sony 35mm f2.8 is imo a very good lens, the Oly 17mm f1.8 is by comparison a bit ordinary but maybe only as the Sony lens is so good.

Thinking about this I'm reminded of the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 I owned, that's a really good lens and sharper than the Oly 17mm and would have made for a much sharper shot for this comparison.

Last edited:
Sorry, my shots? Yes the GX7 shot could do with a boost and I could have used more sharpening if I wanted to pixel peep and be impressed. Both shots could be improved with processing but for screen viewing I think they're fine even though as you can possibly see the light wasn't great on the day anyway :D

The Sony 35mm f2.8 is imo a very good lens, the Oly 17mm f1.8 is by comparison a bit ordinary but maybe only as the Sony lens is so good.

Thinking about this I'm reminded of the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 I owned, that's a really good lens and sharper than the Oly 17mm and would have made for a much sharper shot for this comparison.

After processing, it'll be difficult to tell the difference between them shot in good conditions if processed by the same person :)

(In reply to both Woofwoof and Snerkler)

Last edited:
As said a few times in good light, mid aperture a modern crop sensor shouldn't be too obviously different to a FF version.
It's difficult to do any fair comparison unless you're using the same lens as this could easily make a bigger difference to sharpness, contrast, colour, etc. than the sensor size.
Some sensor manufacturers are ahead of others too, and it will depend on the relative ages, not just the size.

I use a Canon FF and Fuji APS-C, I'm amazed how well the Fuji compares especially on high ISO, but it struggles a touch with high detail and high contrast scenes and doesn't take sharpening anywhere near as well.
My older Canon APS-C was leagues behind either of them.
A larger sensor technically should always mean the ability to have better dynamic range and less noise at the same resolution, or higher resolution with the same DR and noise.

Can you tell a good wine from a bad one. If the picture is good does it matter what it was taken on. Is it better if it was full frame. I don't think so a good shot is a good shot. You may up your odds of getting a good shot by using better equipment. In the end will you hang it on the wall

A larger sensor technically should always mean the ability to have better dynamic range and less noise at the same resolution, or higher resolution with the same DR and noise.

When comparing different size sensors from the same generation and technology :)

BTW, are you sharpening your Fuji files in Adobe per chance?

I can always tell the difference between my cameras SOOC at 100%. But I would say the differences are not only due to sensor size... there's pixel size differences, basic performance characteristic differences, etc.

But with images taken in good conditions and all normalized down to a small enough size, it's negligible... that's part of why I own/use smaller sensor cameras (sometimes).

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that DR is so much dependant on sensor size so much these days. Just look at the Nikon APS-C's such as the D7200, has better DR than most (if not all) current Canon FF and some current Nikon FF.

So you're suggesting that the difference is down to how they're presented on TP? Weird.
Not per se as there'll always be a difference if you look hard enough. However I find forums, especially TP do affect the images. For example my images are always oversharpened on here, but the original files aren't.

The example files above do look different on Photobucket to how they look on here though.

Last edited:
I feel the DR and general output quality delta between formats is diminishing as time progresses, If i'm taking a landscape shot at a fairly high aperture then I'd find it difficult to distinguish if not viewed at 1:1 Pixel view.
To that point I gave my dad my EM-1 a while back due to the quality of the Output Vs Size, whilst I occasionally use my other cameras. My dad takes great shots with it. The 12-40 performs so well!!

I'm not convinced that DR is so much dependant on sensor size so much these days. Just look at the Nikon APS-C's such as the D7200, has better DR than most (if not all) current Canon FF and some current Nikon FF.

Hmmm, mainly according to DXO. Real world results and shooting is vastly different to a lot of their findings, particularly with DR!

Hmmm, mainly according to DXO. Real world results and shooting is vastly different to a lot of their findings, particularly with DR!
Can't comment on them all obviously but the D7200 is very impressive, very very flexible files in post.

Can't comment on them all obviously but the D7200 is very impressive, very very flexible files in post.

Yes it's very good, but DXO are mental with some of their DXO findings, with some 1" sensors having more DR than FF!

Not per se as there'll always be a difference if you look hard enough. However I find forums, especially TP do affect the images. For example my images are always oversharpened on here, but the original dies aren't.

The example files above do look different on Photobucket to how they look on here though.
My pictures usually look quite a bit worse than on my pc. I've pretty much given up posting 100% crops to show sharpness as on the forum they often look pants. Regardless of those pictures of Staithes I have many MFT shots that are in all honesty indistinguishable from my Canon APS-C or FF shots or even my Sony A7 shots once they're all mixed up together either on screen or in print.

Actually taking things to an extreme :D one of the worst cameras I've ever had is a Medion compact but in it too can take a nice picture. I have one which I cropped and printed to fill an A4 sheet and it looks very nice indeed and unless I look at it through a magnifying glass I have no complaints at all :D

Yup and in the real world being able to see a histogram in the EVF has been a big help to me. Another thing that helps is being able to give files a bit of a boot post capture without too much degradation. As a former Canon user I had to be careful as boosting Canon files could lead to noise in the shadows and although I haven't been a Canon user for a long while now I gather that this situation has only begun to improve with Canon's most recent models.

Yes it's very good, but DXO are mental with some of their DXO findings, with some 1" sensors having more DR than FF!
DXO measures engineering dynamic range. This measure doesn't correct for COC and uses a beginning value where signal is equal to noise floor (which isn't really enough to be clearly separated). Net result is DXO's engineering DR is typically 4-5 stops greater than the practical "photographic DR."

With digital, the image characteristics have more to do with the *accuracy* of information/light collected than it does with the *amount* of information/light collected. That makes "sensor size" much less important than the total system design/characteristics. I.e. with two pixels of any size the only thing that matters is that they can be read above the system noise and that they can be differentiated from each other.
Of course, this only affects "data" (DR/Color/Noise) and larger sensors will always have other advantages which may (probably) matter more.

I think this is a very interesting thread.

I currently shoot with M43. but have been through loads of kit over the last few years. I also shoot with and edit images from a D810 daily in work. And I have to say that if you're not pixel peeping and there's enough light, that 95% of the time there's really not a huge amount of difference between FF, crop, and M43 images, at least in my experience.

It's funny though ( and I was guilty of having this attitude myself ) there are so many photographers who must have a FF camera, and the greatest lenses in the world, and if they don't then their pictures just won't be any good. But as I've said in other threads, once I got over that, and stopped critiquing my images zoomed in at 100%, I became much happier with my pictures. This in turn I feel has lead to me focusing on more important areas of learning, and this has made more of an impact on my pictures than any type of camera would have.

I have a FF owning friend though, who swears he can tell the difference between sensors regardless of the image size or subject.....

I think this is a very interesting thread.

I currently shoot with M43. but have been through loads of kit over the last few years. I also shoot with and edit images from a D810 daily in work. And I have to say that if you're not pixel peeping and there's enough light, that 95% of the time there's really not a huge amount of difference between FF, crop, and M43 images, at least in my experience.

It's funny though ( and I was guilty of having this attitude myself ) there are so many photographers who must have a FF camera, and the greatest lenses in the world, and if they don't then their pictures just won't be any good. But as I've said in other threads, once I got over that, and stopped critiquing my images zoomed in at 100%, I became much happier with my pictures. This in turn I feel has lead to me focusing on more important areas of learning, and this has made more of an impact on my pictures than any type of camera would have.

I have a FF owning friend though, who swears he can tell the difference between sensors regardless of the image size or subject.....
test him Greg :)

Back